1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rkusmant

rkusmant Senior Member

Looking to buy Shoes for formal events (navy suits, black suits, grey suits).
    PTB in black shell or PTB in #8 shell or .....
    Suggestions please.

2. Dbear

Dbear Distinguished Member

3. 0waterbouys

0waterbouys Senior Member

4. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Distinguished Member

When you say 'formal' I assume not black tie (tux). Depending on how strictly conservative you need to be, PTB fall more in the middle because it is a blucher and has a more casual 360 degree welt with double leather. If you want to dress it up more, I suggest a balmoral (#8 will with most dark suits except black) cap toe or wing tip. If the environment is not too conservative, yes, PTB would be fine.

5. dukerules

dukerules Well-Known Member

You guys really don't love black, do you?[​IMG] I love my #8 LWBs, and it's probably the Alden to get if you're only going to own one pair of Alden shells, but in the real world a black PTB or LWB would serve you well in many casual and semi-formal circumstances.

6. ErikW

ErikW Senior Member

7. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Distinguished Member

8. calidist

calidist Senior Member

Do you wear an E width in dress shoes? I returned my 8.5 E 403s but now I'm lost whether I should go with 8 D or E. The heel of the D was perfect but the instep and toe box were tight, whereas the heel of the E was a bit too big but the instep and toe box were perfect. I wear E width in dress shoes. I am curious if others who wear an E in dress shoes have found D in CXL (or other) Indys to be right after break in... The instep should stretch, right?

9. theclipper

theclipper Senior Member

Sorry to bump, but can anyone help a brother out?

Thanks

10. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Distinguished Member

1) if you have a black suit, you need black shoes to wear with it. A black PTB or longwing would work, but how about these if you must get shell:

http://www.theshoemart.com/alden-me...orated_cap_toe_bal_oxford_shell_cordovan.html

http://www.theshoemart.com/alden-me..._ald_m_cap_toe_bal_oxford_shell_cordovan.html

Otherwise, I would suggest black calfskin from Church's, Crockett and Jones, etc in this price range

2) For your navy and grey suits, color 8 LWB or PTB would work. I would also suggest cugar LWB and PTB.

11. closerlook

closerlook Senior Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by theclipper

I really want to grab a pair of the LWB from North River while they're on sale. Unfortunately my brannock is about 9.5B heel to toe with heel to ball being about a 10B. Anyone have any idea what size of the LWB on the Barrie last in C width might work the best for me?
    Thanks

Sorry to bump, but can anyone help a brother out?

Thanks

---

well, you always want to go with the larger of the measurements so as to not smush any part of your foot, rendering the shoe unwearable. tongue pads and insoles can make up the difference spots...

so lets assume you are a 10B. That makes you roughly (and i mean roughly) a 9.5C. in the barrie last, that would equate to a 9C.
    and there you have it.

12. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Distinguished Member

counterpoint: while a black balmoral is technically the correct shoe to wear with a black suit, i think a blucher style captoe or LWB shoe would be more versatile, as it could be worn with jeans and such. given that 99% of men wearing black suits are sporting black slip-on square toed monstrosities, i don't think it's super necessary to go the balmoral route. if it were me, i'd go with the BBBF LWB or the black cordovan punched captoe from leathersoul:

http://leathersoulhawaii.com/2012/04/27/alden-shoe-hampton-perf-tip-blucher-re-stock-lsw/

Last edited: May 23, 2012

13. AldenLuver

AldenLuver Senior Member

14. david3558

david3558 Senior Member

LS's Attorney Shoe is a fine choice - I think it goes very well with my suits as well as jeans. The plaza last is very chiseled and just looks nice and works well with jeans too!

15. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Distinguished Member

This is true - a black PTB or longwing would go well with a suit or jeans, so if you have to get one shoe, that would be it... Honestly I would recommend the original questioner get a black balmoral from someone like Allen Edmonds then get a color 8 or cigar longwing for his grey/navy suits (if he doesn't want to spend the money on two pairs or cordovan shoes). I think owning a black bal shoe is a great investment for anyone planning on going to formal events

Last edited: May 23, 2012

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.