1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

I wear all my shell in all conditions with no reservations. the only thing I pay attention to is the sole (prefer commando/dainite/crepe in wet/winter)

2. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

There had to be a spike earlier today, and perhaps even still. :D

3. fitchottie

fitchottie Senior member

This is one of the first times I am hearing this... I heard most complain of bumps forming and swelling coming from issues of wet and rainy conditions....

Can more confirm this. Are there certain process that need to take place, spray etc.

4. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Cordovan boots are designed for all weather...

"Shell cordovan is also my material of choice for rainy day footwear. Some men worry that harsh elements will ruin their “precious” shell cordovans, but it’s important to remember that one of the material’s main advantages is its toughness. You can walk through hail, rain, sleet, or snow in these things and your feet will stay bone dry. Yes, this may cause the leather to rise a bit in some places, but you can smoothen it out by rubbing it with a deer bone (or simply the curved side of a metal spoon), and giving it a vigorous brushing. If you wish, you can also help protect the leather by applying a bit of wax polish once or twice a year (any more and shell cordovan won’t shine up well). "

5. thebeebs

thebeebs Senior member

^ Leather Defender prevents most issues arising with getting shell wet. I use it liberally and often. In fact, I use it when cleaning my shoes as a dampening agent for my cloth in step one of the Mac Method.

6. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

This is the first time I've heard of this. Interesting...

7. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Some of my cordovan shoes have gotten the "welts" after rain, but I've worn plenty of Alden shoes in rain without much of an issue. I don't think you can really predict it. What you can do is use Leather Defender. Kathy at Alden DC sent me a bottle with my Whiskey Indy boots. I wear them in a lot of weather conditions, no welts yet.

8. zr0e

zr0e Senior member

Even in snow my #8 Captoes came out unscathed. Granted, I didn't go sloshing around but they definitely got wet..

9. thebeebs

thebeebs Senior member

Having said that, I should disclose 2 things:

1. I live in LA, so it's not like we are exposed to the elements frequently - thought it is raining as we speak.
    2. I don't wear shell when the weather calls for rain, but instead opt for calfskin. But I do get caught in the occasional downpour, or men's room faucet backsplash, and my shoes escape without incident.

10. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

Shell is supposed to last a generation, would be a pity if you had to baby them--good thing you don't.

11. Hermitedge

Hermitedge Senior member

I've read some info on various thread, but had a follow up...

Is the brown chomexcel on the JCREW indys LIGHTER than the usual 403s? Or are they identical. For some reason, the jcrew color looks better, but maybe its my bad vision deceiving me.

12. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

That's strange. I ordered the #8 captoe back in August and the estimated delivery was stated as November. I didn't get charged till the boots were shipped about 10 days ago. Have they changed their policy?

13. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Different chromexcel batches may have variations, but fundamentally the J Crew chromexcel Indy is the same as the regular chromexcel indy, with the exception of the stitching pattern on the sides and back of the boot

14. DCwaxedLWB

DCwaxedLWB Member

Breaking news: Alden DC just got in a surprise small shipment of ravello LWBs with waterloc soles.

15. herrmj

herrmj Senior member

Don't worry about shell in rain - feed them some reno and paste wax every once in a while and you are good to go. As a seattleite I have some experience with this... minor bumps even out with time.

16. bartleby929

bartleby929 Senior member

Nah, they can't have a permanent charge and hold your money. They charge when it is shipped. The charge you see might be a temporary authorization.

17. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

It's pouring ravello
    hallelujah

1 person likes this.
  18. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

doesn't DC do a lot of stuff on the grant last? if so, that could be grail territory.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  19. poena

poena Senior member

before I start wearing my Jcrew #8 perf cap toes how do i break them in? I see people wearing them on carpet for a day. Anything else?

20. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Thanks for the heads up.

Always nice to get a new pair of nice shoes, even better when yoiu can get them for less..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.