1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 0waterbouys

0waterbouys Senior Member

How dark have the recent runs of Ravello been? I'm wondering the same about mine that are on the way.... I really hope they are a lighter shade such as this:

[​IMG]

2. AnOxymoron

AnOxymoron Senior Member

3. david3558

david3558 Senior Member

Hey, I remember you were looking for sizing tips and what not - I say your best bet is still try to order from somewhere that has a generous return/exchange policy. I don't think the outsole measurements are very helpful, even when comparing my various Trublalance/Barrie lasted shoes, they all have different measurements, even if they're the same size and last.

The Ravello SWB I posted earlier don't look that dark in person - I took that picture at dusk to get that gloss/darker tones. Apologies if it is confusing and upsetting everyone haha - it looks great under the bright sunlight but it's rather hard to take a picture under that lighting. LS' photos represents the shade pretty well.

4. Dbear

Dbear Distinguished Member

^ best way is to try them on. the sizing advice here is a good rule of thumb, but its hard to know for certain unless you try on more than 1 size for each last.

5. AnOxymoron

AnOxymoron Senior Member

Thanks for the tips. I've already done that a few times however, and I'm still a little conflicted. I originally wore a 9D in CXL Indys (trubalance) and they felt too long and clunky, so I got a pair of 8.5E shell indys and they feel perfect. Now I'm looking at another pair of 9D shell indys on the marketplace, but they have the same sole measurements as my 8.5E pair. So I'm assuming there's no way they can feel too long, especially since they have a commando sole and mine do not.

Leads me to believe there isn't much difference between 9D and 8.5E, but i'm still a little hesitant, which is why I was asking for the precarious 9D CXL Indy measurements haha.

Last edited: May 22, 2012

6. 0waterbouys

0waterbouys Senior Member

Whew... I love the LS ravello shade. Thanks for the clarification. My jimmies are henceforth un-rustled.

7. fredmull

fredmull Well-Known Member

is the Alden of Carmel stock too pedestrian? they have black shell and calf.

8. phototristan

phototristan Distinguished Member

Nice discount. I ordered Color 8 Chukkas.

9. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Distinguished Member

awesome PSA dude, just picked up the unlined snuff suede chukkas for $368. I'd been debating about getting these for so long, now they'll be here just in time for summer....so glad I hesitated when I thought about buying these for full price. :happy:

EDIT: Only problem is I've never tried these on, so I'm not sure about my size, hopefully I got it right.

10. stevent

stevent Distinguished Member

Yeah I held off on the #8 Indys since they wouldn't pick up their phones to confirm last and other details. Shell in LA for summer is gonna be too warm anyways...

11. AldenLuver

AldenLuver Senior Member

Those are ravello? Wow [​IMG] they look like #8. Maybe it's the lighting at dusk.

Nothing against your pic but I hope my ravello is a LOT lighter than that when it gets to me.
    I'd bet the above short wing ravello is about the same shade as yours given the same lighting (the sw was taken at sun down and yours I'm assuming by the shadows, in the middle of a very sunny day). Good luck and wear in good health!

12. phototristan

phototristan Distinguished Member

They are on the Leydon last, which I believe is more true to size than the Barrie.

Sorta interesting that Alden Color 8 chukkas are on the Barrie but the unlined suede chukkas are on the leydon.

13. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Distinguished Member

Yeah I did my best guess on these knowing that they're on the Leydon. True to size for me is 12.5 and on the border of an A and B width. They don't have half sizes once you get past 12, and going up to 13 would have been too big all around. I ended up going with 12C, which may be too short but I'm hoping that since they are unlined I will be able to squeeze my foot in there. There's a chance they may be too short and too wide, so if they don't work out I'll just return them and try again next time someone offers a pre-order for odd sizes on something like this.

14. Edgein

Edgein Senior Member

Trying to resist the Kudu Indys. But, resistance is futile!

15. El Argentino

El Argentino Distinguished Member

Gonna be having a boatload of great photos in a few weeks then if shipping is immediate. Congrats to all y'all and your new pickups!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.