***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

I reached out to Leffot a couple weeks ago about getting a special order size - I need a 12B on a Barrie LWB - for their next run of their navy suede makeup and they told me they currently had no plans of reordering it. Seemed weird, because they've done it at least a few years in a row like you said, and it seems to be a popular seller. I'm going to stay on top of them just incase they change their minds to make sure I can get my size next time.

2. neutrino

neutrino Senior member

^ I've just emailed them. Maybe they'll give up and do it one more time [​IMG]

3. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Quote:
    I understand that shoes fit us all differently and we all have different preferences. As has been mentioned several times here at sf, the best bet is to try shoes on in person.

The one thing that surprises me the most with regard to fit (I'm generalizing here) advice is to avoid heel slip at all costs, fit should be snug/tight and shoes will stretch after break-in allowing for the perfect fit.

This clearly works for some but my experience has always been different. After countless 'mistakes' over the years, I've concluded that shoes must fit comfortably right out of the box. In almost every case when I've purchased shoes that were snug in the store, they have never stretched adequately over time to eventually fit well after break-in. Even after trying to get shoes stretched

My brannock is an 11D and I always assumed I had slightly wide feet. During a fitting for quality leather hiking boots one year, the SA informed me that I don't have wide feet but rather high volume feet/a high instep. This caused narrow lasts to fit poorly with pressure typically on my pinky toe. Since learning that, I've made fewer mistakes but have still been tempted by the occasional sale shoe that ended up fitting poorly. Generally speaking, bluchers work better for me than some balmorals and loafers are the hardest style to fit well.

Even shoes with a double leather sole that require some break-in, I'll only buy a size that doesn't put pressure on my toes. With all that said, I'm not sure that my way is the right way to buy shoes but I've seemed to make less errors since I started buying shoe that must fit comfortably out of the box. Any pressure/snugness has always come back to bite me in the end.

Just my $0.02.

4. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

nice, let me know if you hear back...hopefully if they get enough interest they will run it back again! This was a big year for me with shoe purchases, unfortunately they were all pre-orders so I won't have anything to show for it for a long time. If I could have something like this guaranteed by next spring, that would be awesome.

5. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

6. mr chorizo

mr chorizo Senior member

agreed...i haven't heard/seen anything about black shell turning colors before. even if it did, it'd be pretty easy to rectify with some polish.

7. mr chorizo

mr chorizo Senior member

Thanks Z! Unionmade should have these back in stock soon so pick up a pair!

8. violethour1951

violethour1951 Senior member

+1, especially true with cordovan, as they hardly stretch.

9. Virchow

Virchow Well-Known Member

If you're okay with calf, J. Gilbert has a burnished tan wingtip boot with a commando sole (http://www.jgilbertfootwear.com/?q=Alden_Exclusive_Shoes). I think there was a pic posted sometime in the last week.

10. Therendition

Therendition Senior member

Emailed Leffot about the navy suede LWB and Colin emailed me back saying, "We may get this shoe back in stock next spring."

11. neutrino

neutrino Senior member

^ For me, he replied that they hadn't reordered it but would let me know.
    NYR, your pair is always on my mind anyway [​IMG]

12. jhoo04

jhoo04 Senior member

Its finally official. We are very pleased to announce the arrival of Alden in store September 2012. Here's a nice little picture from a trunk show we did on friday of last week.

Best,

J.

[​IMG]

13. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

^ Perhaps a definiton of "we" would help.

14. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Agreed

Looks like

1255 Dundas Street West Toronto, ON M6J 1X5

Formerly a vitamin shop or some such establishment

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  15. jhoo04

jhoo04 Senior member

Apologies. And that is a fantastic shot of the old place.

We as in lost & found in Toronto. Here is a list of brands we carry as well. Unis, Post O'Alls, Oak Street Bootmakers, The Hill-side, Batten Sportswear, Velva Sheen, Makr, Miansai, New Balance, Wolf vs Goat, Riviera Club, Golden Bear, Robert Geller, Draught Dry Goods and D.S. & Durga. Shoot me an email [email protected] or a pm with any questions.

Thanks,

J.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.