Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Edgein

Edgein Senior member

From my limited experience, The Barrie and TB lasts for boots in particular are made for heavier socks, so they have a more generous fit. Depending on your choice for sock, you may want to adjust your size accordingly. For example, I went TTS on my Barrie plain toe calf boots and they fit very nicely. I do have a wider foot, but the D width is good. For a narrow foot, a smaller size may work better. As previously stated, the best advice is to try on in the afternoon with the socks you plan on wearing and there you have it.

2. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Senior member

anyone else here a fan of the tremont last? Tried it on this weekend and think it looks particularly elegant.

3. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    thank you

4. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

Whiskey LHS

good looking whiskey

5. closerlook

closerlook Senior member

Is it in any way possible to change black shell to a different color? can the black be removed?

6. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

I have seen black shell on display and showed signs of fading to the point that the shell turned brown so I guess the black dye can be removed. However, dyeing shell is extremely complex.

7. closerlook

closerlook Senior member

even black shell will turn brown on display?? fascinating. are you sure it was black to begin with. that would be good, as I could just leave the black pair in the window for several months. that would get the job done.

8. stevent

stevent Senior member

What's wrong with black shell?

9. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Senior member

black shell is gorgeous. I'd be very sad if overtime it changed colors. Unlike #8, i dont want patina on my black shell.

10. dredey

dredey Well-Known Member

Does #8 Shell LWB go good with chinos? Tan/khaki?

11. chantheman

chantheman Senior member

yes

12. closerlook

closerlook Senior member

well, i will outline the whole scenario. maybe you guys can weigh in.

the unlined lhs is not especially easy to fit because it is rather formless. I have a pair in my usual LHS size that while snug in some spots is pretty loose in others.
    i can size down by a half size but then my bigger foot gets a little cramped, though its not so bad.. i have acquired a pair in the half size down but its black, and burgundy is currently unavailable in the unlined in this size in the entire brooks bros company. I anticipate this black pair will become pretty much an every other day shoe for the ease of it and the versatility of the loafer for my purposes. but black is really no good as a regular shoe. I much prefer the color8 for this.

I've tried sizing down in the lined LHS but it hurts my bigger foot, what with the stiffer construction.

13. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

My #8 Shortwings are on the Tremont, and I think the fit is really great. It's still rounded, but definitely more proper than the rounder Alden lasts.

14. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Personally I would argue against it. Although it will fade, the result might be even. Also, if there are any imperfections to the shell, those otherwise unseen may become apparent after exposure. It's very risky...

15. wj4

wj4 Senior member

Two questions for you gents:

1. does anyone have white suede or nubuck? If so, how do they look after some wear?

2. does anyone stay the same size for the Leydon last as the Trubalance, Modified, Barrie?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.