• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is exactly what they want you to think... :devil: - it's so scarce I need MOAR!!!

I'm guilty as well though.

AnOxymoron

Reaction score
Haha it's so true. I just feel like I should savor them instead of wearing them every single day like a pair of beaters. But now that I've worn shell cordovan, I don't even want regular leather boots, I want another pair of shell boots!

Last edited:

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Quick question, I have a pair of J Crew Tobacco (waxed calf) LWB.  Would a ravello LWB purchase be redundant, and not worth it?

Shell is definitely different from calf in color and durability. Personally I think it is worth it but again Ravello LWB are not cheap...

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm still contemplating a shell purchase. Alden of DC had a very nice cigar shell chukka. Lately, I've been favoring CXL and suede. No regrets.

Steel28

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking for some help gents,

I'd like to get J Gilbert shell cap toe boots in Plaza last but not sure how Plaza fits.

I've measured size 9US on the brannock and my width is D+

I went to BB and tried their cordovan captoe boots in both, 9US and 8.5US. So the verdict was that 8.5 fitted more than perfect and 9US was quite swimmable:D

What last was this BB boot? Also how different in fit this pictured last would be from Plaza cap toe sold at J.Gilbert with commnado sole?

8.5US Alden for BB

thanks in advance

Last edited:

HorseHide

Reaction score

I have the same problem. Ever since I bought my first pair of SF Alden boots I have been unable to buy a single pair of Aldens no matter who I speak to, even if I am willing to wait, I find nobody will accept an order.

I used to buy all my Alden products from Jordan Sayler, nothing was too much trouble for Jordan, and i would always have a few pairs of Aldens in my closet. Ever since Jordan's store closed down I have spoken to a few stores now, including both LS stores, and the best they could do was recommend other styles I don't like.

It is great owning Aldens, but when you know you will probably not be able to replace the shoes when you need to, and when you know all that is available is not what you want, well then the pleasure of ownership is lost.

I was even thinking of dumping all my Aldens on eBay and paying the extra for C&J or EG MTO. Sure, it costs a little more, but at least you know they are replaceable and you can even ask for minor changes to personalize your boots to your own specific style. EG also fits better, wears better, ages better, lasts longer, polishes up better and looks much better than Alden, so the small premium is probably not bad.

I can never understand how some people manage to buy exactly the Aldens they want when for months and months there is not a single store in the USA I can find with a pair of boots or an ordering system capable of supplying me a pair I would want to own.

If I wanted a pair of 9 eyelet punched toe cap in one of the brown cordovan colors, forget it, I will only ever see a pair on some website or find some very used second hand pair on eBay.

Where does a person find a decent range of Aldens? Or where does a person find a retailer who can actually order a pair for a client?

A couple of take aways from all this:

First, nothing was too much trouble for Jordan. Nothing, apparently, but sufficient profits to stay in business?

Second, EG also fits better, wears better, ages better, lasts longer, polishes up better and looks much better than Alden. Sounds like you found your brand dude.

Lastly, that Tom actually responded to this ______ is yet another example of what a stand-up guy and all-around great retailer he is.

iDoc

Reaction score
Debating between cigar and ravello shell cordovan LHS. Plan to wear casually with jeans and khakis. Which color is more versatile?

0waterbouys

Reaction score
Debating between cigar and ravello shell cordovan LHS. Plan to wear casually with jeans and khakis. Which color is more versatile?

They are both pretty damn versatile. I prefer Ravello but it's basically preference. Dark shell vs light(er) shell.

mr chorizo

Reaction score

Quick question, I have a pair of J Crew Tobacco (waxed calf) LWB.  Would a ravello LWB purchase be redundant, and not worth it?

if you're willing to shell out (no pun intended) for cordovan, i'd get the ravellos and sell the Jcrew LWB.

LeJouvre

Reaction score
A couple of take aways from all this:
First, nothing was too much trouble for Jordan. Nothing, apparently, but sufficient profits to stay in business?
Second, EG also fits better, wears better, ages better, lasts longer, polishes up better and looks much better than Alden. Sounds like you found your brand dude.
Lastly, that Tom actually responded to this ______ is yet another example of what a stand-up guy and all-around great retailer he is.

Thanks for your views - dude - but EG have been around a lot longer than Jordan was, they also bend over backwards to help a client and they're still very much in business, so that theory of yours don't work too well now does it?

Found my brand? I don't use EGs on factory floors, fishing trips camping, climbing etc etc that spot is filled by Alden.

Nobody attacked Tom, and nobody questioned his integrity. We have bought enough shoes and other products from LS to know what is or is not possible from LS. All that Tom did was he put his hand up offer some help instead of charging about, like other folks do, criticizing everyone, as if criticism is some sort of substitute for a solution.

LeJouvre

Reaction score
I'd like to get J Gilbert shell cap toe boots in Plaza last but not sure how Plaza fits.
I went to BB and tried their cordovan captoe boots in both, 9US and 8.5US. So the verdict was that 8.5 fitted more than perfect and 9US was quite swimmable:D
What last was this BB boot? Also how different in fit this pictured last would be from Plaza cap toe sold at J.Gilbert with commnado sole?

8.5US Alden for BB

thanks in advance

I am a 10 on the Brannok, so 1 size bigger than you.

If it helps, the BB #8 cordovan I own is the Peal & Co boot in size 9.5 D and all my Barrie last Aldens are either 9E or 9.5D. If I am going to wear thick socks I normally go for the 9.5D in the Barrie.

The plaza fits slightly more like the BB Peal and Co boot in your pic. Although I prefer the fit of the plaza last, I buy both BB and the Alden plaza in 1/2 size smaller than my normal US foot size and the Barrie I can go down 1 full size without discomfort.

Hope that helps

Last edited:

LeJouvre

Reaction score
if you're willing to shell out (no pun intended) for cordovan, i'd get the ravellos and sell the Jcrew LWB.

+1000 definitely. The waxed calf are great, but the cordovans are just a completely different shoe.

Why don't you look at other options, like the cap toe, and you could keep both, just use them for different stuff

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

8.5US Alden for BB

thanks in advance

You sure those are Aldens?
The only BB cordovan boots I can recall are Crockett &Jones on the 325 last.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads