1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dunkin

dunkin Senior Member

I recvd my Cigar Indys this weekend as well and compared them to my #8 indys. They are really close in color IMO.
    And those whiskys are amazing!

2. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Distinguished Member

where did you order your cigar indys from? im still waiting for mine from leffot

3. jenkinslaw

jenkinslaw Well-Known Member

Recently bought a pair of cigar longwings from shoemart. However, I have received a number of different opinions as to treatment. I have a pair of #8s, which I have always polished sparingly with wax. However, my local shoe guy spoke with his Alden rep, who said to use neutral cream on cigar (which I always thought was a no-no), because none of the Alden waxes actually match cigar. Conflicting info! Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

4. Gunboat

Gunboat Member

One of the Alden vendors told me to use brown wax. I recently polished my cigar longwings with Kiwi brown wax and they turned out great.

Recently bought a pair of cigar longwings from shoemart. However, I have received a number of different opinions as to treatment. I have a pair of #8s, which I have always polished sparingly with wax. However, my local shoe guy spoke with his Alden rep, who said to use neutral cream on cigar (which I always thought was a no-no), because none of the Alden waxes actually match cigar. Conflicting info! Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

5. amlai

amlai Senior Member

I use Kiwi brown wax polish on cigar as well. You don't need much. Most of the time, just brush vigorously with a horsehair brush. If there are scuffs you can't buff out, then use a little bit of brown polish.

6. Trapp

Trapp Distinguished Member

Alden makes its own brown paste wax. I was always advised by Alden reps to use that on cigar, and it's always worked well.

7. Ahab

Ahab Distinguished Member

Any brown wax will work with cigar. I have even used Alden tan on cigar. I would not use neutral wax. I am not sure about cream though? From what I remember do not use neutral wax on cordovan. I may be wrong though.

8. bakatora

bakatora Senior Member

[​IMG] any orders for Leffot's Cigar Indy's placed from now would be for delivery in September/August. Back to the drawing board.

9. amlai

amlai Senior Member

Neutral wax polish will tend to leave a white film on the leather. Conventional wisdom has been to use wax, but there are some proponents of some creams. See Ron Rider's post in particular: http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/f...6&postcount=20 The rest of the thread is also useful for more information on Saphir, which supposed to be very nice stuff. To make the debate of wax vs. cream more complicated, if you read this post carefully (http://horween.wordpress.com/2009/08/10/brownout/) Nick Horween is developing a cream-based conditioner for shell cordovan. On the flip side, he used burgundy paste wax on the shoes featured in the post.

10. dunkin

dunkin Senior Member

where did you order your cigar indys from? im still waiting for mine from leffot
    i got them from leffot as well but im in NYC so i picked them up

11. amlai

amlai Senior Member

[​IMG] any orders for Leffot's Cigar Indy's placed from now would be for delivery in September/August. Back to the drawing board.

I'd say that's part for the course. If you really want a pair, I'd get on it and put your name down with anyone who will let you reserve a pair.

12. jasonfoote303

jasonfoote303 Senior Member

I recvd my Cigar Indys this weekend as well and compared them to my #8 indys. They are really close in color IMO.

Cigar will fade way differently from your #8's... especially if you leave them exposed to light.
    They will look better and better!

13. Ahab

I think this is fair, especially when new, but I think they will age differently and I think the differences will be noticeable depending on what you pair them with.

Some of the #8 I have seen almost looks like black new.

14. Ahab

Cigar will fade way differently from your #8's... especially if you leave them exposed to light.
    They will look better and better!

+1 And both will be equally as beautiful. If #8 was a "rare" color I think it would be coveted and appreciated more.

15. Trapp

Trapp Distinguished Member

+1 And both will be equally as beautiful. If #8 was a "rare" color I think it would be coveted and appreciated more.
    I agree. I love #8 both before and after it's aged.
    Some people do get turned off by the original eggplant color though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.