• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dunkin

Reaction score
I recvd my Cigar Indys this weekend as well and compared them to my #8 indys. They are really close in color IMO.
And those whiskys are amazing!

jenkinslaw

Reaction score
Recently bought a pair of cigar longwings from shoemart. However, I have received a number of different opinions as to treatment. I have a pair of #8s, which I have always polished sparingly with wax. However, my local shoe guy spoke with his Alden rep, who said to use neutral cream on cigar (which I always thought was a no-no), because none of the Alden waxes actually match cigar. Conflicting info! Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Gunboat

Reaction score
One of the Alden vendors told me to use brown wax. I recently polished my cigar longwings with Kiwi brown wax and they turned out great.

Originally Posted by jenkinslaw
Recently bought a pair of cigar longwings from shoemart. However, I have received a number of different opinions as to treatment. I have a pair of #8s, which I have always polished sparingly with wax. However, my local shoe guy spoke with his Alden rep, who said to use neutral cream on cigar (which I always thought was a no-no), because none of the Alden waxes actually match cigar. Conflicting info! Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

amlai

Reaction score
I use Kiwi brown wax polish on cigar as well. You don't need much. Most of the time, just brush vigorously with a horsehair brush. If there are scuffs you can't buff out, then use a little bit of brown polish.

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alden makes its own brown paste wax. I was always advised by Alden reps to use that on cigar, and it's always worked well.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any brown wax will work with cigar. I have even used Alden tan on cigar. I would not use neutral wax. I am not sure about cream though? From what I remember do not use neutral wax on cordovan. I may be wrong though.

bakatora

Reaction score
musicboohoo[1].gif
any orders for Leffot's Cigar Indy's placed from now would be for delivery in September/August. Back to the drawing board.

amlai

Reaction score
Neutral wax polish will tend to leave a white film on the leather. Conventional wisdom has been to use wax, but there are some proponents of some creams. See Ron Rider's post in particular: http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/f...6&postcount=20 The rest of the thread is also useful for more information on Saphir, which supposed to be very nice stuff. To make the debate of wax vs. cream more complicated, if you read this post carefully (http://horween.wordpress.com/2009/08/10/brownout/) Nick Horween is developing a cream-based conditioner for shell cordovan. On the flip side, he used burgundy paste wax on the shoes featured in the post.

dunkin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by randomkoreandude
where did you order your cigar indys from? im still waiting for mine from leffot
i got them from leffot as well but im in NYC so i picked them up

amlai

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bakatora
musicboohoo[1].gif
any orders for Leffot's Cigar Indy's placed from now would be for delivery in September/August. Back to the drawing board.

I'd say that's part for the course. If you really want a pair, I'd get on it and put your name down with anyone who will let you reserve a pair.

jasonfoote303

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dunkin
I recvd my Cigar Indys this weekend as well and compared them to my #8 indys. They are really close in color IMO.

Cigar will fade way differently from your #8's... especially if you leave them exposed to light.
They will look better and better!

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dunkin

I think this is fair, especially when new, but I think they will age differently and I think the differences will be noticeable depending on what you pair them with.

Some of the #8 I have seen almost looks like black new.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jasonfoote303
Cigar will fade way differently from your #8's... especially if you leave them exposed to light.
They will look better and better!

+1 And both will be equally as beautiful. If #8 was a "rare" color I think it would be coveted and appreciated more.

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ahab
+1 And both will be equally as beautiful. If #8 was a "rare" color I think it would be coveted and appreciated more.
I agree. I love #8 both before and after it's aged.
Some people do get turned off by the original eggplant color though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads