***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 0waterbouys

0waterbouys Senior member

How viable is shoe stretching? Does it affect the look of the boot/shoe?

2. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

I feel compelled to mention that I also have Whiskey shell and it is not on the same level as cigar and ravello.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And allow me to cheat a little. Here is a pair of Alden Whiskey short wings which I owned for a year, left in the box and then traded for a much better pair of Ravello longwings.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I really miss Saddam. He would know how to treat you right! :nodding:

:tounge:

3. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

I would not count on it. I have heard there is no such thing and that it does not work. The best thing to do is buy shoes that fit.

4. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Senior member

I only need a tiny bit of space. Weirdly enough, an 8D in trubalance is spot on, but I feel like I need an 8E in barrie and 8.5E in plaza.

5. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Post this question one more time.... (having searchbar'd it to no avail)

What color Saphir paste/wax is recommended amongst the board for Cigar? Already have bordeaux for my #8 (which is perfect)...

6. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

I like cigar more than whiskey, but I wear my whiskey more than my ravello lately, I'm liking how it looks in the sun.

7. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

I use Alden's brown wax

8. Jpvfx

Jpvfx Well-Known Member

hi 0waterbouys,
    Well, I'd say a lot depends on the boot/shoe - Chelsea boots, loafers etc each style will have its own merit to the amount the boot/shoe can be stretched. In my experience I'd rather a slightly 'tight' boot/shoe over a 'to big a fit'. The 'tight' boot/shoe can be placed on these automated boot/shoe stretchers for a couple of days and they gain easily half a size to a whole size. Not really in length of the shoe because the shoe/boot is really contained within its 'soul' size but most shoes/boots can still be 'pushed' in length direction by 2-3-4mm!!
    I seem to be one of those odd sizes and rarely find a boot that fit 'off to bat' - shoes stretching has helped (mainly in width) and done by a professional is a bonus but one can use those 'shoe stretcher' kits.
    Does it affect the look? Yes it can - I've noticed that where I've had boots stretched the leather surface becomes wrinkly, the main thing to look out for is not 'over' stretching so that the leather goes baggy!

9. HorseHide

HorseHide Senior member

Not sure I "understand pebblegrain" either, but I think it looks cool. :D And some might say that there is a certain irony associated with someone from LV criticizing "mall fodder". Come to think of it, wtf is mall fodder?

10. AnOxymoron

AnOxymoron Senior member

man, people around here making me regret my whiskey indy purchase...i better like these when they arrive tomorrow or else i'm selling and snatching some #8

11. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

You should not be using wax (or if you do VERY little wax) on your cordovan shoes. You can ALWAYS go with a lighter shade of wax than the shell color itself with no problems. If you go darker you run the chance of darkening the shoe, but this should not be the case with cigar since I doubt you will run into a paste wax that is a darker brown than cigar.

Also some people will use a black wax on #8 shell every 10 - 20 applications to get a slight contrast. I believe the thought is that the black will gather in the creases, holes and corners to create a contrast.

Good luck.

12. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

While I am not the greatest fan of Whiskey I still have no problem with it in the rotation. I would even go so far as to say that Whiskey and the Indy are probably one of the best combinations for whiskey. I think it will go VERY well with denim and you should be more than happy. I would.

13. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

I can live with that. I get the same way sometimes. Just not sunny enough here yet.

14. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

You won't regret the Whiskey Indys. A rare makeup and best grabbed when you have the chance. #8 is fantastic, but generally much easier to come by, so there's always time. And no one here will tell you not to have a pair of Indys in both Whiskey and #8, if that's what you want to do.:) Post photos of those Indys when they arrive and enjoy.

Nice colors on those trousers. Looks good with the Whiskeys.

15. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Just because I live there does not mean I support it :)

Rockport, Ecco, etc. Crap you pick up from the men's shoe section in Macy's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.