• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElDave

Reaction score
Anybody have a picture of a worn in ravello or #4 WT boot?

tlieu

Reaction score

You should call Leather Soul.  They apparently have a few in stock.  Whoever got the 10D before I could call today, congrats.  I'm jealous, big-time!  May just have to settle for the LWB...

The above post was reply to this. Forot to add the quote.

I'm still looking to buy this pair so OM me and I'll pay a lot more than retail.

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Came across some more coming Alden for J.Crew models.  Again, rough descriptions:

Ravello longwing bluchers

Flex-toe navy suede chukkas

Navy suede longwings

Indy boot in "hummus" (?) suede

Longwing bluchers in antique natural (?)

Snuff suede chukkas

Hi - can you let us know where you're getting this info from? Sounds very interesting...

AldenLuver

Reaction score
I fit a size 9 DB really well. After a few wears, I felt like I was swimming in a 403 in 9D (see sig). There was just too much volume all around. Ended up going with an 8.5 D in the 403 and, while snug at first, it fits me very similarly to the size 9 DB. Go figure. Further evidence that trying on the specific shoe in various of sizes/widths is the only real way to go if you want the best fit. The problem I encountered was, and the CXL 403 is my only Alden experience, I wasn't able to tell whether the fit was proper after only a couple short wears walking around on a 5'x8' rug. By the time I realized they were too big, I had already worn them quite a bit. I'm sure this is due in part to my own inexperience with this brand/leather. And I understand the recommendation to not buy a shoe that is uncomfortable in any way when brand new. But for me, there was a pressure point on the outside of my foot when I first started wearing the 8.5 D 403, but that pressure is no longer present after 2 weeks of solid wear. The boots fit great. If I had gone to a 8.5 E, I'm pretty sure it would have been too wide in the heel. That lead me to the conclusion that a) 8.5D is the correct size in a CXL Indy boot or b) the TruBalance is not the best last for me. So, basically, you have to take into consideration not only the last, but also the material, as well as the type of footwear (shoe, chukka, boot).

If I had to do it over, I think I would have been better off shopping for a used 403 on B/S (seems like you don't have to wait long until the size(s) you're looking for will turn up. Particularly with this leather, a little beausage is not going to detract from the quality or value of the boot. This way, you can be a bit more aggressive in determining your size than with what the Mac break-in method allows for. Plus, you're saving money up front, and again if and when you resell them due to them not fitting.

Haven't been around here long, but this is sound advice. Trust me. (And I'm not just saying that because I'm selling my gently used 403's
laugh.gif
)

I feel the same way about my Barrie LWBs. My first pair I went with 10D (I normally wear 10.5 tts). I thought they were too tight initially and bought another pair of 10E. After wearing both for a couple of months, the 10D is perfect and the 10E is huge. In general I think the barrie last LWB will stretch and conform to your foot. I now know the perfect fit/size regardless of the slightly tight initial feel. I suppose the same applies to the Indy's and the TruBalance

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^^ Fit will change (or not) depending on the leather). Don't expect shell to stretch with break in.

kippy

Reaction score

^^^^ Fit will change (or not) depending on the leather).  Don't expect shell to stretch with break in.

Here is my experience - shell does stretch a tiny bit. Not a lot but it does stretch. The other thing to consider is that the shoe will loosen up as your foot molds to the cork bed and sinks just a wee bit further down into the shoe. This happened with all of my 9e barrie-lasted Alden shoes. They felt a tad tight across the vamp the first week or so and then loosened up accordingly and fit like a glove now. I would not expect to be able to get enough stretch in width to go from a size D to a E though.

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just my experience, shell will 'mold to your the shape of your feet' rather than 'stretch.'

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Here is my experience - shell does stretch a tiny bit. Not a lot but it does stretch. The other thing to consider is that the shoe will loosen up as your foot molds to the cork bed and sinks just a wee bit further down into the shoe. This happened with all of my 9e barrie-lasted Alden shoes. They felt a tad tight across the vamp the first week or so and then loosened up accordingly and fit like a glove now. I would not expect to be able to get enough stretch in width to go from a size D to a E though.

+1

Only time to wider than what typically wear is when there is a Whiskey or Ravello also available :satisfied:

AldenLuver

Reaction score

I didn't mean to suggest it will stretch one full width size (D to E). My bad... the 10e felt pretty comfortable with a little room initially, but a month later it felt a little too roomy. Thanks for the correction.

Kevk

Reaction score
CXL definitely stretches. My 403's in a size 8.5 fit about the same as my size 9 shell or suede Indy boots. I also have a pair of Leather Souls Kudu Indys that have stretched at least a half a size. They are now my beater winter boots only worn with thick socks and insoles.

Last edited:

shaunw

Reaction score
CXL definitely stretches. My 403's in a size 8.5 fit about the same as my size 9 shell or suede Indy boots. I also have a pair of Leather Souls Kudu Indys that have stretched at least a half a size. They are now my beater winter boots only worn with thick socks and insoles.
I have had same experience, I generally wear a 10D. If I could go back I'd get my 403's in a 9.5D or 9.5E.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics