1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Button on their mens jeans, zippers on womans

2. blue collar

blue collar Senior member

I picked up a pair of the Original Thin Fit about a year ago. Great denim, awesome detail but i just find them a little too baggy. Maybe should have sized down 1 to account for stretch. Also living in Canada I had to lose the beautiful chain stich when I got them hemmed. :confused:

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  3. violethour1951

violethour1951 Senior member

Very nice. I've come to appreciate commando soles over leather soles on boots.

4. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

That is simply a hand-sewn apron, not a NST (Norwegian Split Toe). The "U-Tip" (V-Tip?) Aldens that I have seen are also different construction. Mr. Chorizo is correct that the construction of those is using a reverse machine stitch, and is actually bringing together 3 separate pieces of leather. The apron on those is actually a "plug" that is sewn on using a machine stitch (see also the JM Weston Demi-Chasse, and various Allen Edmonds models like the Walton, Delray, and La Salle). The Norwegian Split Toes, and hand-sewn apron models that Alden makes are simply a decorative stitch on what would otherwise be a plain toe shoe. They have also made some Indy Shoes that look just like this, and it is the same stitching style used on the Indy Boots. Those are definitely beautiful shoes though!!!

5. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

I'm 3 weeks away from six months wear on mine and can't wait to wash them for the first time. They are awesome jeans.

6. chantheman

chantheman Senior member

yes, grant last
    Alden DC

7. blue collar

Ok...so what does Alden call the style in question? As far as I know Alden does not call this a "hand-sewn apron" or "HSA".

This is from Leather Soul's page

"I’ve been wearing these cigar U-Tips twice a week for about 3 years now. I’ll be sending them in for restoration soon. I like the change in color they’ve gone through so I will make sure to tell Alden not to polish the uppers when they do the restoration.

Laurence O."

I know LS is not the be all and end all, but I'm sure they know more about shoe designations than you or I...

V-Tip
    [​IMG]

U-Tip
    [​IMG]

But...i've been wrong many times before.

8. MoneyWellSpent

I didn't say in my post that those are not U-Tips. I was addressing Mr. Chorizo's comment that the V-Tips are made using a machine stitching technique using separate pieces of leather, as seen in the photo you posted above. The gentleman that I quoted and addressed in my response seemed to be asking if these were a NST without the middle seam. I also didn't say that Alden calls them "HSA." I was simply stating that they are hand-sewn aprons, which seems to disqualify them from being V-Tips based on previously cited examples. I don't know what Alden calls them, and if Leather Soul calls them U-Tips then I wouldn't see any reason to argue with it. It is a u-shaped apron after all.

9. blue collar

Got ya ;) If I misquoted you, I apologize

10. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Just pre-ordered a piar of Adlen Wintip boots in Ravello.

The wait begins.

It maybe September or October of next year.

11. imolazhp_ci

imolazhp_ci Senior member

from where?

12. DCwaxedLWB

DCwaxedLWB Member

Took your advice and posted the black PTBs on the SF classifieds. Thanks for the tip, Papa. Next time I will learn. Meanwhile, someone will profit from the errors of my ways...

13. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

TSM

14. MoneyWellSpent

No worries! Just wanted to make sure I wasn't misunderstood.

15. ETW

ETW Well-Known Member

16. trig

trig Senior member

i highly doubt it'll be next year.. some people have been waiting a couple years already.

17. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Wow I didn't realize.

The gal said it could be a bit later, but I got the impression it might be a month or only two later at the most.

18. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

19. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

every Viberg boot I've seen either has a horrible looking sole (most of them) or a raised toe that looks like clown boots.

20. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

Prepare to wait up to 2 years for these, possibly longer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.