1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mr chorizo

mr chorizo Senior member

bravo. these look great!

2. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

3. stevent

stevent Senior member

4. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

shells are very addictive

5. ghdvfddzgzdzg

ghdvfddzgzdzg Senior member

Look? You should see how they smell.

6. Gauss17

Gauss17 Senior member

I pose a question to those with experience stretching shell cordovan:

I currently have an 11D Alden 990 and while the width in the ball of the foot is excellent, the heel is too large. My heel is still slipping significantly after ~1 year of wear. I measure an 11D/E on the brannock and this seems to work well for me in most shoes, however, with 11E's the heel is typically too large still. 11D is much better, but the ball of the foot is then too small. Most people now agree that you can stretch a shoe "one width" before the leather suffers and in fact I have had AE's stretched in the past with good results. Now here is the question, what exactly do they mean by "one width"? 3/18"? If I compare an 11D alden to a 10.5E in the same shoe, the ball of the foot measurement is smaller by 3/18". However, in AE shoes, the 10.5E is actually larger in the ball of the foot than the 11D, so their formula must be different. I suppose my real question is: If I purchase a 10.5D Alden, can it be stretched to the same width as an 11D? Based on what I have read, this would be 1/3" (i.e. 3/18 * 2).

Or would perhaps a better approach be a 10EEE?

7. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Have you tried an 11C?

8. Gauss17

Gauss17 Senior member

I had not, but it is probably worth a shot. The only reason I think that may not be the route to go is that I was under the impression that as you go down in size, the distance from tongue to heelback decreases, where as if you go up in width, the heel cup is wider. So if I go to an 11C, it will make is narrowed, but the distance from tongue to heelback is the same, leaving me with heel slippage. Is that correct or am I wrong?

9. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Not exactly, no. Going down in width will also decrease the girth or volume of the shoe. It's like putting a tongue pad in the 11D, the decreased width will push tour foot back into a smaller heel cup and give you a tighter fit. But if the toe box is too narrow, it will squeeze your foot; so be careful. I have also had success by going up a half width in size and down in width, in your case an 11.5C. I'd try going down to an 11C first.

Best of luck, and let us know how you make out.

10. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

Hoping this is the appropriate place to ask, but can someone please tell me how one could obtain shell Tankers? It seems like they're only produced in small runs for botiques, or possibly MTO through shoe-mart? Dying for a pair. Thanks.

11. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  12. srivats

srivats Senior member

Not that I know of -- from what I know, the widest alden makes in the leydon last on this model is 'E' width. I bought my pair 1/2 size too long and it was not comfortable to wear. I should really go down 1/2 size and one up in width (basically your size 9 C/E) but I am concerned that the heel width would be too much for my narrow heels. I practically gave up on the barrie last for the very same reason.

How's the fit on your pair?

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  13. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

I'm sorry to hear that. The Barrie has been the best fit I've had in shoe so far.

14. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

Erm... :embar: Same story as yours: 1/2 size up (I think, since I don't have any other Alden shoes). I hope I'll be allright...

15. cold war painter

cold war painter Senior member

Very very nice. I recently had some #8 shortwings lost in the mail, presumably they are now in a dead letter office somewhere or possibly on the feet of an unscrupulous postman.

I believe there are some #8 tankers due to arrive at LS in July; I'm not sure whether it's still possible to get on the list for those but it's certainly worth asking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.