***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnOxymoron

AnOxymoron Senior member

Alright, maybe I'm just not used to shoes like this. First real pair of leather shoes with heels.

2. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Hard to say, some people like a snug fit. Some like a little extra room. If you have a chance to try on a different size, take a stab at it.

3. Man with Apple

Man with Apple Senior member

I most certainly will, thanks Uncle.

4. runningfrog

runningfrog Senior member

took a few pics of my alden x leffot navy suede lwb's last weekend:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i've worn them a couple times w/o socks and the fit is great. i just ordered some meltonian water and stain protector spray, so i'm gonna wait for that to come in before i wear them again.

5. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

Why has Alden become this popular? It seems that the more expensive they become, the more they are in demand. Is Alden footwear a good investment? Are we experiencing an Alden bubble?

Last edited: May 9, 2012

6. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

I learned about this from the TOJ thread. Veblen good

7. blake3030

blake3030 Senior member

Not sure if the veblen thing is why they're becoming more popular. I'd definitely have more than one pair if they were more affordable.

I think it a lot of it comes down to #menswear. Alden's are being talked up on blogs, more shops are doing collabs, more shops in general are stocking them. Their presence is massively increased and because the product is good, people take notice.

8. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

[size=13pt]Alden Tan Unlined Suede Flex Chukka[/size]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. blue collar

blue collar Senior member

......nevermind :)

Last edited: May 9, 2012

10. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

Srivats: please explain "used to have" – are they kaput?

11. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

I do not think that is the sole reason Alden’s are growing in popularity. I think there are a number of reasons with a less than great economy contributing the most. I think there is a combination of younger people dressing better, nostalgia and the classic looks coming back, the work wear fashion trend, Leather Soul, J Crew, the Internet and digital cameras, blogs, forums that are all combining to make a super storm of Alden mania. I personally cannot go back to lesser shoes so my only path is up.

If I did not want to pay the price of Alden’s I would certainly be eyeing Red Wing Heritage line for boots with more value for the money. I think that these are quite a bargain now and only see them going up in price. I especially like the boots in Chromexcel and suede. I am starting to dig the white sole’s as well. I am not sure if they make their own Chromexcel (or substitute), if it is a seasonal offering or if they have discontinued it but I have seen boots in Chromexcel from them within the last few months.

12. dukerules

dukerules Well-Known Member

Alden fits in perfectly with the heritage brands trend these days. USA-made, long and legitimate history, quality workmanship, and yes, reasonably expensive. I also think shell cordovan is enjoying a surge of popularity these days, and of course no one does shell like Alden does.

13. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

I really hope the USA-made trend is not just a fad and that it continues for years to come. I'm guessing the people that are buying higher quality USA-made goods now will keep buying similar items in the future. I doubt we will all start buying cheap crap made overseas anytime soon. But I really like that some old American companies like Alden are thriving right now.

14. stevent

stevent Senior member

Ooh tempting. What sole is one it? RL Marlows are too narrow for me

Thanks calling today, have to go to SF anyways today

I sized mine to wear with boot socks but now am debating whether to move from 10.5D to 10E in my 403s. My pinky toe is against the edge of the shoe but they are too long without hiking socks. Weird thing is kudu 404s fit great in 10.5 with both types of socks, may just be the softer natural of the CXL variant.

Lot of production is moving back to US, I think it was a McKinsey report that said by 2020 30% of overseas production will be back in the USA

15. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

1) Alden is still relatively "niche." Only really sold in Barneys, three of four Alden branded stores, and a specialty shoe stores globally. Sales have apparently grown significantly, but probabl from a low base.

2) The fashion blogosphere has coalesced around Alden, and the blogs have a bit more impact than they used to

3) Cordovan leather coming back a bit (FT had an article about this). See the interest in the Marlow line

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.