Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kgmessier

kgmessier Senior member

Intentional misspelling; forum meme.

2. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

I think because shell naturally has a lot of flaws and it would not be cost effective to search for enough large pieces to make a shoe where they couldn't cover up flaws with dye.

In this video, Art Tarlow of Alden explains that the lighter the shell cordovan, basically the rarer and more difficult to make:

Last edited: May 8, 2012

3. phototristan

The Ravello shortwings is one hot shoe. I think it's what's on the left here too:

4. AnOxymoron

AnOxymoron Senior member

Welp, I think I should have sized down my Indy 403 from a 9D to a 8.5, but I've already worn them outside several times. If anyone wants to trade, or buy these let me know.

5. phototristan

You might try thicker socks, which is generally good for boots anyway.

6. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

anybody have any experience with these? I was thinking of getting a snuff suede chukka, but this caught my eye and I might be leaning towards getting this one instead.

[​IMG]

7. Man with Apple

Man with Apple Senior member

After extensive trial and error with the barrie, I think I got it dialed in. Here are my ravello ptb's. Been waiting months for these to arrive. Much thanks to the fine folks at Alden San Francisco. Just arrived today and thought I would share some shots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And sockless with and without flash:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For those who ask sizing questions, the bottom line is that you need to try the shoes on to know what works for you. I wear a size 8.5D in my indy boots (trubalance), and 8.5D on the Van Last, and these are size 7.5E on the barrie. For reference, I wear a size 9 in Nike, New Balance and Clarks. I wear a size 8.5D in Allen Edmonds Park Avenues. 8D on the barrie was too long and 7.5D was too narrow. These look and feel spot on, and they happen to be in my favorite shade of Alden shell.

8. closerlook

closerlook Senior member

IF ANYONE, ANYONE, HAS THESE IN A 7.5D LET ME KNOW! I WILL PAY YOU MAD MONEYZZZ. NO JOKE.

9. AnOxymoron

AnOxymoron Senior member

Yeah, thicker socks don't really help with the length, which is what feels a bit awkward and clunky.

10. Therendition

Therendition Senior member

Yes, that was me. I'm not positive. I'm assuming so, though, because that's what most of the models were wearing in the Fall 2012 presentation looks, as seen here:

[​IMG]

Looks like navy suede longwings with a natural welt and micro sole. Too bad they're not a carbon copy of the Alden for Leffot navy suede longwings. Those things are beautiful.

11. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

After extensive trial and error with the barrie, I think I got it dialed in. Here are my ravello ptb's. Been waiting months for these to arrive. Much thanks to the fine folks at Alden San Francisco. Just arrived today and thought I would share some shots.
    [​IMG]

enjoy wearing

12. zazaza

zazaza Senior member

Seriously. I was hoping they'd be close to Leffots. Kicking myself I didn't jump on those when I first saw them.

13. Therendition

Therendition Senior member

No kidding. I like the micro sole on my pebbled shortwings:

[​IMG]

But I don't like the idea of it next to a navy suede. Too "sneaker-y" if you get what I mean. Like the Mark McNairy Keds. Cool for Keds, not for Aldens.

Last edited: May 8, 2012

14. AnOxymoron

AnOxymoron Senior member

Those that own own Indys and really like their fit, where does your big toe go to? Mine is just passed the second stitching and I think I might need to go down half.

15. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

I'm about the same I think. The Truebalance is a big roomy last. It's their biggest one I think. I have a bit of room up front, but that's the way I like it. They fit comfortably with crew socks, and just a bit snug with boot socks (for winter).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.