***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

So there you go. My thoughts are purely hypothetical as I have yet to try on an E.

Right, you are much more likely to find a half size too big in D and then just have to work with it. I really have no idea if E would be any better for me or at all aesthetically pleasing. I may try some day, but then what do I find out? That all my 11Ds are no good. Should probably just stick with what I have.

2. mr chorizo

mr chorizo Senior member

this picture makes me question a lot of things. for example...why do I not own these?

between this, the shoemart's ravello, and the impending cigar version at epaulet, this is a good time to pick up a shell wing tip boot. probably the best.

3. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

1) If you have wide feet at all, E widths can be good. I wear 9.5E or 10D in Barrie, and the 9.5E shoes crease less and feel better out of the box

2) Surprisingly, E widths don't look any "less" sleek than D widths in barrie, probably because Barrie D widths don't look sleep to begin with. I've noticed a bigger difference in looks between D and E in slimmer lasts like the Grant.

4. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

I would condier #8 longwings if you want a shoe that works with both dress pants and jeans. Chromexcel longwings / boots may not work as well with the widest variety of "dress pants" (cotton, wool, etc). Of your choices, the tan wingtips from shoemart (and maybe the J Crews tan) work the best.

5. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

[​IMG] [​IMG] Maybe Ravello LWB? :slayer:

6. keithp3521

keithp3521 Senior member

Personally, I don't see the point of boots with leather soles. The reason, for me, to get boots is for the added protection and stability on icy, muddy, wet or non-pavement surfaces. The commando, crepe and (in Tricker's) Dainite soles make them perfect for going from office to work site or outdoor concert or anywhere, really.

But longwings are just so much sharper than boots. If you don't need the alternative sole for off-roading purposes, then I would get longwing shoes with leather soles. When you want to project confidence and authority, there's nothing in the office like good old gunboats. And when you want to look sharp and stylish in jeans...there's nothing like good old gunboats. Natural chromexcel looks a bit "dressed down" to me. You've got to have browns in your arsenal and Alden makes some great ones, but Alcibiades is right: if you're looking for a shoe that can fluently go from office to party, that looks both professional and stylish, you've got to go with color 8 LWBs.

Last edited: May 3, 2012

7. MickCollins1916

MickCollins1916 Senior member

Busted out my rarely-worn whiskey chukkas today

[​IMG]

8. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Nice... almost got these they Alden NY did not have them in my size and I 'settled' for the whiskey PTB.

9. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

[​IMG]
    #8 cap toe boot
    argyles otc

10. MickCollins1916

Thanks. If settling results in owning whiskey PTB...then here is to settling!

Nice shine there, uncle!

11. speekez

speekez Well-Known Member

beautiful creasing on those ravello chukkas, dude

Last edited: May 3, 2012

12. ElDave

ElDave Senior member

Do you use trees?

13. jkater1

jkater1 Senior member

Thanks all, I'm very glad I kept them.

I know, that's why I married her. Going to have to do something for her for bringing me to my senses and keeping them.

14. MickCollins1916

Sure do, after ever wear. I currently own two pairs of chukkas - both are the same size. The #8s have relatively little creasing, while the whiskeys crease a bit more. That's the beauty of shell, I guess.

15. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

It's funny, people tend to prefer the light edge trim on all rare cordovan, but the dark edge trim on these soles look handsome Ravello and cigar lwb would clearly work great

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.