***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

Now I understand why people pre-order, call, get on wait lists, wait 9-12 months+ for these shoes.

Some make ups are simply unavailable...and with no indication of ever being in stock anytime soon and if you can get them once in stock, lol.

Like, if I wanted some shell cap toe boots in ravello, cigar or whiskey...completely out of luck. I guess waiting in anticipation is 1/2 the fun.

2. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Deets?

3. blue collar

blue collar Senior member

While this may be true, the Alden fascination soon becomes a problem. If there is a specific make-up you want to add to your collection, it has to become a daily endeavor. Searching, forums, blogs, web pages, 'brick and mortar' websites etc, because if you don't you could possibly miss out on that 60 pair run of Ravello Shortwing Bluchers. Within that run maybe 2 pairs are your size.

....bacuse if you do miss out, it may be years before there is another run of the shoes you seek. This often leads to wanting to break things and cut your wrists. :embar:

4. HorseHide

HorseHide Senior member

They just don't feel right to me and, perhaps more important, the bottoms get really funky, picking up just about everything that you encounter as you walk - tough to have OCD and deal with that.

5. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Crepe does seem to pick up stuff, but hell, regular leather soles get soiled after a while as well... I do like that Alden's crepe is dark compared to the white soles you see on other desert boots

6. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

[​IMG]

Is it time to buy some cream? I've just been brushing out the scratches on my shoe, which are many and counting (cordovan seems to scratch like a mofo). Is that the best way to treat a scratch like this? brush and some cream?

7. El Argentino

That might be enough to actually merit wax paste...

8. furo

furo Senior member

+1

They don't look right, and don't feel right.

9. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

It looks like wax is used on the mac method right? I should probably apply a minute minute amount of wax to my boots because they have been worn 15-20 times and accumulated some scratches. What brand / kind should I pick up that would best suite my Cap Toe #8?

http://www.theshoemart.com/alden-me...cordovan_ald_m_alden_fine_shoe_paste_wax.html ??

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  10. El Argentino

Saphir Bordeaux is a great match in color to #8.

I'd probably use it even less than after 15-20 wears, but it's the only thing that will really cover up dings like that pictured.

11. beowolf

beowolf Senior member

I sent you a PM

12. jkater1

jkater1 Senior member

Was taking one last look at the #4's before probably sending them back and noticed that there were a fair amount of color distortions on the leather, looks like the coloring went on too dark in spots. I don't have anything like this on my Ravello wingtips, which are the only other pair of shell's I have. Is this normal or should this be counted as a second. I tried taking a picture for example but it isn't as pronounced in the picture, but there are a lot of them on the boot.

[​IMG]

13. blue collar

blue collar Senior member

yes...welcome to Alden :confused:

14. Nosu3

Nosu3 Senior member

I think it's just the nature of that leather. It doesn't distract from the boot in my opinion. It's probably more noticeable with the boot because the leather area is larger.

Does anyone know where I can find some PT bluchers or chukka boots in size 10 (barrie last) for less than retail?

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  15. MickCollins1916

MickCollins1916 Senior member

[​IMG]

#8 captoe boots on Grant last, leather sole today.

Ravello shell medallion captoes on the Plaza last arriving tomorrow. Stoked. Pics to follow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.