• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dbear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now I understand why people pre-order, call, get on wait lists, wait 9-12 months+ for these shoes.

Some make ups are simply unavailable...and with no indication of ever being in stock anytime soon and if you can get them once in stock, lol.

Like, if I wanted some shell cap toe boots in ravello, cigar or whiskey...completely out of luck. I guess waiting in anticipation is 1/2 the fun.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As much as I love my Cordovan longwings, I am going to have to sell them. I have had them for a few months, but they are just too tight. They are size 11.5 and I will be adding to B&S soon as I take some pictures.

Deets?

blue collar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Now I understand why people pre-order, call, get on wait lists, wait 9-12 months+ for these shoes.

Some make ups are simply unavailable...and with no indication of ever being in stock anytime soon and if you can get them once in stock, lol.

Like, if I wanted some shell cap toe boots in ravello, cigar or whiskey...completely out of luck.  I guess waiting in anticipation is 1/2 the fun.  

While this may be true, the Alden fascination soon becomes a problem. If there is a specific make-up you want to add to your collection, it has to become a daily endeavor. Searching, forums, blogs, web pages, 'brick and mortar' websites etc, because if you don't you could possibly miss out on that 60 pair run of Ravello Shortwing Bluchers. Within that run maybe 2 pairs are your size.

....bacuse if you do miss out, it may be years before there is another run of the shoes you seek. This often leads to wanting to break things and cut your wrists. :embar:

HorseHide

Reaction score

I will endorse the crepe sole in general as very comfortable (my milkshare Indy boots are my most comfortable Indy boots) and functional (the sole provides good grip in rain).

They just don't feel right to me and, perhaps more important, the bottoms get really funky, picking up just about everything that you encounter as you walk - tough to have OCD and deal with that.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will endorse the crepe sole in general as very comfortable (my milkshare Indy boots are my most comfortable Indy boots) and functional (the sole provides good grip in rain).

They just don't feel right to me and, perhaps more important, the bottoms get really funky, picking up just about everything that you encounter as you walk - tough to have OCD and deal with that.

Crepe does seem to pick up stuff, but hell, regular leather soles get soiled after a while as well... I do like that Alden's crepe is dark compared to the white soles you see on other desert boots

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
46ce2b98.jpg

Is it time to buy some cream? I've just been brushing out the scratches on my shoe, which are many and counting (cordovan seems to scratch like a mofo). Is that the best way to treat a scratch like this? brush and some cream?

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is it time to buy some cream? I've just been brushing out the scratches on my shoe, which are many and counting (cordovan seems to scratch like a mofo). Is that the best way to treat a scratch like this? brush and some cream?

That might be enough to actually merit wax paste...

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They just don't feel right to me and, perhaps more import+1ant, the bottoms get really funky, picking up just about everything that you encounter as you walk - tough to have OCD and deal with that.

+1

They don't look right, and don't feel right.

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Last edited:

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It looks like wax is used on the mac method right? I should probably apply a minute minute amount of wax to my boots because they have been worn 15-20 times and accumulated some scratches. What brand / kind should I pick up that would best suite my Cap Toe #8?
http://www.theshoemart.com/alden-me...cordovan_ald_m_alden_fine_shoe_paste_wax.html ??

Saphir Bordeaux is a great match in color to #8.

I'd probably use it even less than after 15-20 wears, but it's the only thing that will really cover up dings like that pictured.

jkater1

Reaction score
Was taking one last look at the #4's before probably sending them back and noticed that there were a fair amount of color distortions on the leather, looks like the coloring went on too dark in spots. I don't have anything like this on my Ravello wingtips, which are the only other pair of shell's I have. Is this normal or should this be counted as a second. I tried taking a picture for example but it isn't as pronounced in the picture, but there are a lot of them on the boot.

blue collar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Was taking one last look at the #4's before probably sending them back and noticed that there were a fair amount of color distortions on the leather, looks like the coloring went on too dark in spots. I don't have anything like this on my Ravello wingtips, which are the only other pair of shell's I have. [B] Is this normal [/B]or should this be counted as a second. I tried taking a picture for example but it isn't as pronounced in the picture, but there are a lot of them on the boot.

yes...welcome to Alden :confused:

Nosu3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Was taking one last look at the #4's before probably sending them back and noticed that there were a fair amount of color distortions on the leather, looks like the coloring went on too dark in spots. I don't have anything like this on my Ravello wingtips, which are the only other pair of shell's I have. Is this normal or should this be counted as a second. I tried taking a picture for example but it isn't as pronounced in the picture, but there are a lot of them on the boot.

I think it's just the nature of that leather. It doesn't distract from the boot in my opinion. It's probably more noticeable with the boot because the leather area is larger.

Does anyone know where I can find some PT bluchers or chukka boots in size 10 (barrie last) for less than retail?

Last edited:

MickCollins1916

Reaction score

#8 captoe boots on Grant last, leather sole today.

Ravello shell medallion captoes on the Plaza last arriving tomorrow. Stoked. Pics to follow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads