• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

P. Bateman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

jHrKN.jpg

Gunboat Monday!

What jeans are these and are they tapered? I feel my straight leg jeans look funny and chunky with non-boot Aldens.

Renalan

Reaction score

Really fantastic. Deets on denim? (Is that a pink inseam stitch I spy?)

It is indeed a pink inseam stitch, NFxMomotaro 2 Collabs.

What a great shade of #8 !! How old are these???

About 6 months old only, very light wear.

Those are sweet.  Is that cigar?

EDIT:  I'm partially colorblind.  Definitely #8, right?  It just seems so light.

It's the wonder of natural lighting and shell.

What jeans are these and are they tapered? I feel my straight leg jeans look funny and chunky with non-boot Aldens.

The jeans are tapered, NFxMomotaro 2 Collabs, Weird Guy fit.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

...so what's the story with Alden's weird habit of adding a leather strip onto their crepe soles? I've never understood it and never will, but I'm eager to learn more.
DSC_00051.jpg

No idea but it is rather annoying if you ask me. The part of the sole that gets the most wear from many is the least reinforced....

VRaivio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No idea but it is rather annoying if you ask me. The part of the sole that gets the most wear from many is the least reinforced....

Spot on. This idiosyncrasy seems more like plain idiotism. Crepe should guarantee great traction and no-nonsense walking in all conditions, but this leather pach will wear through quickly.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Spot on. This idiosyncrasy seems more like plain idiotism. Crepe should guarantee great traction and no-nonsense walking in all conditions, but this leather pach will wear through quickly.

Just a guess since I do not have any of the crepe soles) but maybe the crepe sole wears out faster than leather hence the leather portion? Maybe it is the lesser of two evils having he leather vs. all crepe.

zazaza

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought it had something to do with the fact crepe is sticky and the leather toe is to lessen the likelihood of dragging/catching your toe when worn on carpet.

as for wear; the toe can be replaced without replacing the rest of the sole if it wears down quickly.

Just a guess since I do not have any of the crepe soles) but maybe the crepe sole wears out faster than leather hence the leather portion? Maybe it is the lesser of two evils having he leather vs. all crepe.

Last edited:

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
wish they made that on the Grant... has anyone done a LW boot on the Grant?

Alden doesn't do a long wing boot.

Not sure if "longwing boot" was a typo or not, but there was a thread a while back on "longwing boot".

http://www.styleforum.net/t/153992/longwing-boots

The basic conclusion was that, indeed, Alden does not do a longwing boot.

Unfortunate, because I would really like a mid-height (i.e. chukka height) longwing faux desert boot in tan suede w/ plantation crepe soles. Anybody else? There a few non-Alden makers doing longwing boots in full and mid-height, Trickers, Mark McNairy, and Mihara Yasuhiro......And Ron Rider had expressed interest in the thread cited above.

I've got a few pairs of Tricker's LW boots.

burglw3.jpg

blacklongwing1.jpg

froswick.jpg

They also make a stubby Stow. Seems worth asking if you're looking for a stubby LW boot.
stubbystow1.jpg

I seem to recall the purpose of the leather tip on the crepe sole is to help prevent catching your toe on carpet.

beowolf

Reaction score
As much as I love my Cordovan longwings, I am going to have to sell them. I have had them for a few months, but they are just too tight. They are size 11.5 and I will be adding to B&S soon as I take some pictures.

kippy

Reaction score

I wish it were true. My leather tip has worn out faster than the crepe sole

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wish it were true. My leather tip has worn out faster than the crepe sole

Yeah, I have avoided the crepe since it makes the shoes less formal. I guess you can always have toe taps installed :)

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have no clue what the purpose of the leather tip on the crepe sole is, but I will endorse the crepe sole in general as very comfortable (my milkshake Indy boots are my most comfortable Alden boots) and functional (the sole provides good grip in rain). The leather tip doesn't detract anything from the sole, so you can just ignore it if you want

Crepe soles work best on these types of more casual models, IMO

And the only cordovan models I've seen it really work in are:

Last edited:

100 yrs

Reaction score
winn perry really had some smart alden make ups. too bad they're no longer around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads