***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. furo

furo Senior member

Well I get the close friends and SAs at stores making comments, and this was in my previous post... what I don't get is the total stranger actually stopping to make a comment on shoes... that seems fairly out of place for a city like NY. I could see it in a different environment, like a more laid back city, but in NY? Really?

But now that I have more context on the post in question (i.e. "tons of compliments" was actually one couple at a restaurant and one girl) I can see it happening ... I guess....

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  2. theclipper

theclipper Senior member

Thanks for the response!

After doing more reading it sounds like the AE Park Aves run a bit narrow and a bit long. I'm wondering if getting the natty CXL Alden LWB on the Leydon last in the same size might help solve the issues I have with my current Park Aves.

How much room should there be at the back of the shoe when pushing your foot as far forward as it will go?

Thanks much

3. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

I consider 4 compliments a good amount, definitely more than average

I'm not sure I understand your surprise about this or why you are belaboring this point... Numerous other people have posted about the reaction Alden shoes (especially suede and cordovan) can receive from strangers... Remember NAMOR's wonderful Starbucks story from a few weeks back. People constantly remark about Alden shoes being "turning heads." Alden shoes are impressive (as this long, successful thread can attest to) and deserve all the attention they get. When I dress, I not only simply want to look sharp for personal gratification's sake but also want to attract some positive attention. If people say otherwise, they are probably not telling you the absolute truth.

Best Alden compliment I got was on my Alden Cigar captoes, which a girl on the Subway said were "absolutely beautiful." It's nice to get those every now and then, puts a spring in your step.

4. advan031

advan031 Senior member

I always get "wow, those are really shiny" once a week...lol

5. Renalan

Renalan Senior member

Laced up, I can insert my index finger behind my heel if I JAM it in, but not easily. It's really a feel thing. My best advice is to go to anAE store or Alden store to get sized.

6. furo

furo Senior member

It's not surprising at all if it revolves around known friends, co-workers, or sales associates (remember, they're paid to make small talk and giving you a compliment builds rapport in their book). What is surprising is random people in a city like NY stopping to give a compliment on shoes. I just don't see that as something common at all, regardless of the shoe in question. Getting a look is one thing, but someone actually going out of their way to say something is another.

But like I said, with the context you later added, it's not in the realm of unbelievable. One is an elevator where you're constrained with the person there, and anything can pop up as friendly chit chat, and the other a restaurant, where, okay that's still a bit odd to me but I can see it happening I guess.

edit: fixed spelling as per horse dude's request

7. Dayman

Dayman Senior member

I get that all the time with my shoes! Especially when i where my G&G or DC Lewis shoes. It gets interesting when im wearing my Vass and the look on some peoples faces when I say Budapest.

8. Renalan

Renalan Senior member

[​IMG]

Gunboat Monday!

9. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Anyone know how much Alden charges just to have shoes re-dyed? Is this a service they provide?

10. xr4ti

xr4ti Senior member

11. trig

trig Senior member

12. HorseHide

HorseHide Senior member

As long as it's in the realm of believable that's all that really matters, right?

BTW, "repoir" is not a word. I believe the word you are looking for is "rapport", but I could be wrong. Being a man of letters (that's what you call a guy with 4000+ posts, or is it something else?) I figured you'd want to know.

13. Dbc0919

Dbc0919 Senior member

Alden of Carmel seems to have your size in the ravello LWB. I have been lusting after these for some time, but alas, they don't have my size.

http://www.aldenshop.com/Store/DrawProducts.aspx?CategoryID=46&ParentID=94&PageID=&Action=

14. Dayman

Dayman Senior member

The only thing i have heard thats close is the re-craft service.

15. keithp3521

keithp3521 Senior member

Got my first pair of color 8 LWBs today and I couldn't be more pleased. I've heard you guys say it many a time, but you ("you" meaning "I") really cannot appreciate the beauty of color 8 until you see it in person. Not a particularly good photo, but I haven't had a chance to go out into the sunlight today.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.