• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Frank C - yes, from Shoe Mart
Dmash - thanks. I agree. These are one of my faves as well. Ravello is a tough color to beat !

Really trying not to order these Cigar PTBs in 10.5E to see how they fit me. Pursuit of knowledge and all that.

Gunner72

Reaction score

feels like this for me
original.gif

whoever bought that navy PTB in 9d leydon, i hate you
but plz hit me up if it doesnt work out :)

I thought I had those navy PTBs, and I would have hit you up if they didn't work out, but my order suddenly got cancelled by Shoemart yesterday. I jumped on them immediately, Friday -- called Shoemart, was asked to hold while they made sure they were in stock. After a few minutes I was told yes, they had them (the last time I ordered 2nds they actually inspected the shoes on the phone for me without asking, so I thought maybe she had located them physically). We completed the order, I got an order confirmation email right away. I was then issued a Fedex tracking number on Monday for Tuesday delivery. Fed Ex's site had registered it for pick-up. I was all excited to get them but Tuesday afternoon I got an email saying the shoes were "out of stock". Has this happened to anyone else? Seems odd that it got all the way to the point that FedEx had it down for pick-up before they realized they didn't actually have them.

docstradamus

Reaction score
x2. doc maybe post pics of how it is now?

Can you show us photos of the socks? Exactly how thick are they? For reference, I like these and find they improve the fit of the roomy Indy boot. My Indys are 1/2 size down.
http://www.foxsox.com/catalog/produ...rder=stylenumber&code=HIKE&selectedstyle=2099
Keep in mind that the fore part of the shoe is going to be wide but the heel should not be sloppy. Are you experiencing the normal heel slip or very, very sloppy heel?
The socks I've worn are thick-ass Wigwam hikers, probably close to the equivalent of the Fox's there. (The socks in the pics above, however, are thin dress socks.) I think the heel slippage is a little sloppy after wearing them for a week. If the litmus test was, Do I want to be wearing them trying to outrun a giant boulder? I'd have to say, no, I feel like they'd slow me down a bit.

FWIW, my cxl Context x Alden roy boots stretched quite a bit with regular wear. No doubt your cxl Indys will stretch. You don't want a floppy fit.

Yes, correct, I would prefer the boot not have a sloppy fit. Andy it's not like the 9's are going to shrink, right? This is what the 8.5's look like. With dress socks, my feet slide in pretty easily. They are stiff and they is a bit of pressure on the outside of the widest part of my foot. They feel good in the heel area. I can't believe the difference in the width of the 9D and the 8.5D--at the widest point of the sole, the 9's are at least 1/4" wider.

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RE: the shoes trees deal above, for me with sales tax and free shipping, it came to about $9.00/pair. Not a bad deal at all.

Now I need more Aldens to use them in...

Are there other things I should consider buying under that deal there too? I don't generally know much about that store.

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just can't get down with the indys. I guess I've just got a younger mindset but I don't like the clunky look they give off to me. I love my LWB though and some people would say those are clunky so I guess I'm a hypocrite lmao.

Last edited:

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just can't get down with the indys. I guess I've just got a younger mindset but I don't like the clunky look they give off to me. I love my LWB though and some people would say those are clunky so I guess I'm a hypocrite lmao.

They're actually pretty sleek compared to some other boots like Wolverine for example.

Dbear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Indys are nice. But what they really are is the gateway into cordovan.

You don't jump directly into $600-$700 shoes--the Indy is a stepping stone and then splash in from there.

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Indys are nice.  But what they really are is the gateway into cordovan.  

You don't jump directly into $600-$700 shoes--the Indy is a stepping stone and then splash in from there.  

It's funny you say that, because the first Alden shoe I saw IRL was an Indy boot. and from there I've gotten 2 pairs and pre-ordered a third. 2 of which are cordovan. LOL

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i take back my original statement. that cigar indy is amazing. :slayer:

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

i take back my original statement. that cigar indy is amazing. :slayer:

:slayer: I agree with your previous post. The boot can appear clunky because after all, the trubalance is a roomy last. However, if you size it right, it can look "sleek." The cigar indy is a size 12B. I went tts but went down in width. Fits my foot well, a tad long but worth the trade-off

I'm afraid if I get a cigar shell captoe boot (like one is even available, ha), I'll rarely wear my Indys again.  True or false?

this is what happened to me. Once I began purchasing shell, the indy was worn less and less until I finally sold it. Never looked back

Last edited:

ElDave

Reaction score

triumphman

Reaction score
I've been looking for a cigar captoe boot in plaza last, but no one seems to make them. This is on my wish list.

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Cigar Indy really blows the CXL Indy away.

That's exactly what I'm realizing when looking at the pictures online. I really like the Leffot version with the commando sole.

I only saw the cxl indy in person, I'd like to see the cigar version in person.

BTW-while searching the web the past few days trying to find ravello in stock I stumbled across these:

http://www.fransboonestore.com/en/alden-x-fransboone-cigar-cordovan-workboot.html

cigar indys with no speed hooks and a crepe sole. free shipping and no tax so works out to about $775 shipped. a bit more than Leffot, however they have sizes in stock if you can't wait and like the no speed hook style.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads