Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

TSM is typically very good when I have contacted them in the past (within 48 hours); however, I do believe they do not ship Alden shoes overseas.

2. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

Do you know what size you are on the Leydon last? If you can fit a 12C, I saw a pair or tan suede chukkas on TSM 2nds list for only 299

3. Kashiwa

Kashiwa Senior member

Thanks for the lead! I signed up for that irregular list, but never got the mail!

I'm not sure what size I am in the Leydon. The only Alden I have actually worn is the Trubalance 11.5d, which fits more or less well, but is just a bit wide and voluminous. I haven't done any research yet on the sizing of the Leydon yet. Any thoughts?

I'll give TSM a mail and see if they still have any.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012

4. plato

plato Senior member

I picked up the Alden leather defender and some Saphir Reno at Leffot last time I was in NY a couple weeks ago and treated my cordovan with them. When it rained a lot this last Sunday my short wings were just fine. So, I guess my answer is "carefully treated cordovan" or, in cases of less formality and more rain or cold see :

http://www.redwingheritage.com/boot...red-wing-lifestyle-mens-6-inch-lug-boot-briar - I have a pair like this that redwing made for J crew.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/31179?page=mens-bean-boots-by-llbean-8

Of course, neither goes with a suit. Have been eying the pics on the thread of cap-toe cordovan boots lately. Looks great in color 8 or cigar.

5. kram6136

kram6136 Well-Known Member

^^^ Yes, I definitely want to try the Alden Leather Defender stuff out. That's a good tip about combining it with the Saphir Reno - thanks.

6. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

[​IMG] like these?

7. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

My cigar PTBs on crepe soles are my go to rain dress shoe. I have treated them with leather defender; welts don't seem to be an issue, and for this shoe, I don't mind a few welts. Leffot also does a ravello PTV on commando soles that would fit this bill...

8. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

J Crew sells a tan PTB on a single flexwelt sole and a tan chukka on a crepe sole

Call Alden DC, Alden NY, SF, etc, they may have tan longwings (likely on single flex soles, not crepe). They should also have tan PTBs and chukkas on flex welt soles.

9. furo

furo Senior member

Man that sucks... those welts will not go away. No amount of polish, buffing, brushing, cream, etc will remove those welts. Now your best bet is to hope that natural patina eventually fades them out, but there's nothing else you can do. And it can take an extremely long time for them to fade depending on sunlight exposure and amount of wear they get. It's the biggest drawback to shell imo.

On rainy days I stick to calf, preferrably black, like yesterday for me. I just don't wear shell in the rain. And it's infinitely easier to wear calf on a rainy day than to constantly worry about applying creams or "defenders" on your shell. It just takes a tiny bit of foresight and all your problems go away.

10. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Sometimes it is the luck of the draw. I have SC shoes that do hoave the water welts but I also have shoes that have been through light showers and full on rainstorms that do not welt. furo's experience might vary from mine but I have welts recede over time.

I do agree with furo's statement about black calf probably being the most practical since it does not show the water stain, vis a vis brown leathers.

11. triumphman

triumphman Senior member

any retailers have LWB in ravello available? looking for a size 7.5.

12. kram6136

kram6136 Well-Known Member

Yeah, well I keep brushing and hoping. Maybe I need to try the ol' deer bone? Anyway, I guess calf might be an option for days when rain is forecast.

13. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

Are these balmoral boots? If so, I've never seen such a thing before. I'm going to guess that they're not. Nice looking, anyway.

14. sazon

sazon Senior member

[​IMG]

Plaza last, Black shell

15. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

Sounds likely. I suppose you could look at it as outlet shopping by proxy. Up to a buyer to determine whether a markup, if any has been applied, is worth it.

The Rancourt suggestion made above is a good one. Brooks Brothers carries a few of their models, which may be helpful for sizing (though I'd say they are pretty much TTS, though a little on the short end for my foot). Rancourt website has a great range of options, as well. And since we are talking about other makers, have a look at Allen Edmonds too, if you haven't already.

Back to Aldens, my first pair was the lace-ups from the Cape Cod collection. You can simply Google Alden Cape Cod to have a look. In general this is a lower priced range without leather soles. My pair has served me very well. They are going on seven years old with a lot of wear through the first five or six years before my shoe, and specifically Alden, collection began to expand at an exponential rate.:)

Anyway, good luck. I hope you find the right pair

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.