• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

looking to buy a couple of pairs of shoes from TSM but wanted to know if they readily have the shoes in stock for immediate dispatch. I have emailed them but have not had any response plus i am based in the UK. How long do they usually take to dispatch orders and how quick is delivery on average within the USA?
Looking to get a pair of longwings in natural and ptb in cigar cordovan

TSM is typically very good when I have contacted them in the past (within 48 hours); however, I do believe they do not ship Alden shoes overseas.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Looking for a pair of Aldens in tan suede, but coming up empty handed.

My preferred shoe would be this longwing with plantation crepe soles. (apparently a customer's special order, featured a long while ago on the Inventory Magazine site; photo from there)

I wonder if there is any interest in a MTO for that longwing? I think the contrast of the tan suede with the planation crepe sole looks great!

But since this particular make-up, and tan suede longwings in general, seem to be out of stock everywhere, I would be willing to go for a PTB or chukka (in that order) in the tan suede.

Anyone know where I might find such creatures? (btw 11.5d in Trubalance)

Do you know what size you are on the Leydon last? If you can fit a 12C, I saw a pair or tan suede chukkas on TSM 2nds list for only 299

Kashiwa

Reaction score

Do you know what size you are on the Leydon last? If you can fit a 12C, I saw a pair or tan suede chukkas on TSM 2nds list for only 299

Thanks for the lead! I signed up for that irregular list, but never got the mail!

I'm not sure what size I am in the Leydon. The only Alden I have actually worn is the Trubalance 11.5d, which fits more or less well, but is just a bit wide and voluminous. I haven't done any research yet on the sizing of the Leydon yet. Any thoughts?

I'll give TSM a mail and see if they still have any.

Last edited:

plato

Reaction score
April showers bring May flowers, and little welts on my shell cordovan shoes.

I've had good results with the Pegasus leather on the Black & Tan Indy boots from Epaulet, but I can't really wear them with a suit. What do my fellow Alden lovers wear on rainy days?

I picked up the Alden leather defender and some Saphir Reno at Leffot last time I was in NY a couple weeks ago and treated my cordovan with them. When it rained a lot this last Sunday my short wings were just fine. So, I guess my answer is "carefully treated cordovan" or, in cases of less formality and more rain or cold see :

http://www.redwingheritage.com/boot...red-wing-lifestyle-mens-6-inch-lug-boot-briar - I have a pair like this that redwing made for J crew.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/31179?page=mens-bean-boots-by-llbean-8

Of course, neither goes with a suit. Have been eying the pics on the thread of cap-toe cordovan boots lately. Looks great in color 8 or cigar.

kram6136

Reaction score
^^^ Yes, I definitely want to try the Alden Leather Defender stuff out. That's a good tip about combining it with the Saphir Reno - thanks.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Of course, neither goes with a suit. Have been eying the pics on the thread of cap-toe cordovan boots lately. Looks great in color 8 or cigar.
6800297076_339a2a5f22_z.jpg
like these?

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My cigar PTBs on crepe soles are my go to rain dress shoe. I have treated them with leather defender; welts don't seem to be an issue, and for this shoe, I don't mind a few welts. Leffot also does a ravello PTV on commando soles that would fit this bill...

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Looking for a pair of Aldens in tan suede, but coming up empty handed.
My preferred shoe would be this longwing with plantation crepe soles. (apparently a customer's special order, featured a long while ago on the Inventory Magazine site; photo from there)

I wonder if there is any interest in a MTO for that longwing? I think the contrast of the tan suede with the planation crepe sole looks great!
But since this particular make-up, and tan suede longwings in general, seem to be out of stock everywhere, I would be willing to go for a PTB or chukka (in that order) in the tan suede.
Anyone know where I might find such creatures? (btw 11.5d in Trubalance)

J Crew sells a tan PTB on a single flexwelt sole and a tan chukka on a crepe sole

Call Alden DC, Alden NY, SF, etc, they may have tan longwings (likely on single flex soles, not crepe). They should also have tan PTBs and chukkas on flex welt soles.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

April showers bring May flowers, and little welts on my shell cordovan shoes.

I've had good results with the Pegasus leather on the Black & Tan Indy boots from Epaulet, but I can't really wear them with a suit. What do my fellow Alden lovers wear on rainy days?

Man that sucks... those welts will not go away. No amount of polish, buffing, brushing, cream, etc will remove those welts. Now your best bet is to hope that natural patina eventually fades them out, but there's nothing else you can do. And it can take an extremely long time for them to fade depending on sunlight exposure and amount of wear they get. It's the biggest drawback to shell imo.

On rainy days I stick to calf, preferrably black, like yesterday for me. I just don't wear shell in the rain. And it's infinitely easier to wear calf on a rainy day than to constantly worry about applying creams or "defenders" on your shell. It just takes a tiny bit of foresight and all your problems go away.

Last edited:

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Man that sucks... those welts will not go away. No amount of polish, buffing, brushing, cream, etc will remove those welts. Now your best bet is to hope that natural patina eventually fades them out, but there's nothing else you can do. And it can take an extremely long time for them to fade depending on sunlight exposure and amount of wear they get. It's the biggest drawback to shell imo.
On rainy days I stick to calf, preferrably black, like yesterday for me. I just don't wear shell in the rain. And it's infinitely easier to wear calf on a rainy day than to constantly worry about applying creams or "defenders" on your shell. It just takes a tiny bit of foresight and all your problems go away.

Sometimes it is the luck of the draw. I have SC shoes that do hoave the water welts but I also have shoes that have been through light showers and full on rainstorms that do not welt. furo's experience might vary from mine but I have welts recede over time.

I do agree with furo's statement about black calf probably being the most practical since it does not show the water stain, vis a vis brown leathers.

kram6136

Reaction score
Yeah, well I keep brushing and hoping. Maybe I need to try the ol' deer bone? Anyway, I guess calf might be an option for days when rain is forecast.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

People have been fined / temp banned for doing this in the Common Projects thread. People can keep posting but pretty soon an admin will come in here and ban / fine the next person that does it. Honestly you have your sig that's what the space is for.
The J. Crew ones posted as new are clearance center / outlet purchases (have the black mark). Others may be trying to flip for small profits since J. Crew codes of 15-30% off worked on Aldens online until December or so. J. Crew also gave money back to some people who complained about random issues (seller with bigger feet posting here recently) and are also making profit. Not really a unfair / bad thing as people value the shoes with their own valuation but that's a potential reason why there are so many J. Crew models.

Sounds likely. I suppose you could look at it as outlet shopping by proxy. Up to a buyer to determine whether a markup, if any has been applied, is worth it.

Been stalking this forum for awhile and I'm thinking of finally getting my first pair of aldens...however I'd like to not break the bank on the first purchase, what are your opinions on:
http://www.unionmadegoods.com/Alden_Cape_Cod_Beefroll_Penny_Mocc_Burgundy_410_220.html

and any suggestions on other shoes near that price range? On a college budget, so value is key.

The Rancourt suggestion made above is a good one. Brooks Brothers carries a few of their models, which may be helpful for sizing (though I'd say they are pretty much TTS, though a little on the short end for my foot). Rancourt website has a great range of options, as well. And since we are talking about other makers, have a look at Allen Edmonds too, if you haven't already.

Back to Aldens, my first pair was the lace-ups from the Cape Cod collection. You can simply Google Alden Cape Cod to have a look. In general this is a lower priced range without leather soles. My pair has served me very well. They are going on seven years old with a lot of wear through the first five or six years before my shoe, and specifically Alden, collection began to expand at an exponential rate.:)

Anyway, good luck. I hope you find the right pair

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads