***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Therendition

Therendition Senior member

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  2. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

his is taken indoors and my picture is taken outdoors which does, account for part of the difference. part of the romance of buying the exotic colors is that your right shoe color will not match 100% with your left shoe

3. dredey

dredey Well-Known Member

I am actually going to Shoe Mart tomorrow. Need one pair of good shoes for docker's/kackis tan, olive, navy and of charcoal and black dress wool pants. One pair of awesome shoes for all of these applications. I will get them no problem if they can be the one shoe for all.

4. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

#8 ptb

5. Therendition

6. dmash

dmash Senior member

This is what I was going to say or in cigar.

I think the PTB is better if you're reallyyyy just trying to do 1 shoe as all. However, I think the longwing looks better as is sort of an 'icon' if you will. If you can possibly swing two shoes, I say pick up the longwings in #8 and then something in calfskin. 1 shoe is hard to swing man, not only outfit wise, but for the fact you don't need to wear the same pair of dress shoes every day (speaking for longevity here).

7. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

well said! I only have #8 shell right now, can't wait till my exotics start arriving

8. Therendition

Yeah, totally understand what you're saying. I just said longwing 'cause PTBs aren't my thing.

9. dredey

dredey Well-Known Member

Not into ptb either. But longwings are not an every day thing in the every day worls either. Alhough I would have no problem wearing the longwings in cigar because i like them so much.

10. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

PTBs have been good to me . . .

11. dmash

dmash Senior member

How about this dredy, just save up over time

regular dark brown calfskin straight tip bal as your dress, conservative shoe:
    http://www.theshoemart.com/alden-me...xsdl-920_ald_m_straight_tip_bal_calfskin.html

and then #8 longwing as your more casual shoe and gives you some more 'pop' being that awesome #8 color:
    http://www.theshoemart.com/alden-me...5_ald_m_long_wing_blucher_shell_cordovan.html

Those are two completely different style shoes and two different colors both of which are extremely versatile. You could work a ton of looks with those two pairs. and IMO I think the longwings are definitely best in #8 or natural. I think the other colors are best reserved for different models.

I just revamped my brown hued collection and it now consists of Natural longwings, #8 chukkas and Carmina brown calfskin double monks. I feel these are all very different from each other are all very versatile. If you're trying to keep the shoe collection to an extreme minimum just make sure you don't buy two of the exact same color starting off and that the styles you buy are different. That way you'll maximize the looks possible instead of overlapping them.

12. dredey

dredey Well-Known Member

#8 longwings are very sweet. Hard to find though.

13. dmash

dmash Senior member

14. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

#8 longwings are probably the easiest Alden to find - not sure where you are looking but nearly every Alden retailer stocks these.

15. kippy

kippy Senior member

Good choice. I agree with you on the creasing. It's amazing how much less there is when moving just a half size down to the right fit. I experienced this first hand when moving from 9.5e to 9e on all my Alden shoes. WRT your creasing, some Reno and the Mac method work wonders. Enjoy your Chukkas.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.