1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jpc9

jpc9 Senior member

Guys, where's Uncle Mac? Miss his daily fit pics.

Also, sorry to spam the thread, but interest check on a pair of new unworn Cigar LWB (AoC) in 8.5D. Shoot me a PM.

2. MCanavan6

MCanavan6 Well-Known Member

I'm considering picking up my first pair of "dress boots" (I have a pair of Clarks DB Beeswax) and after looking through various threads have decided upon going with something from Alden. I like both the Indy and Cap Toe Boot. The boot will mainly be paired with jeans with the possibility of chinos from time to time. I am leaning towards the Indy because I think the Cap Toe will be too formal for what I'm going for. Any advice on which one I should go with? What about color (I am thinking Dark Brown Chromexcel)?

3. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

you got it narrowed down imo. brown chromexcel indy

4. private eyes

private eyes Senior member

Ive been searching for a pair of indy boots in 8d for a while, for any less than retail, and man its hard. This list you speak of, are there any 8d indys?

5. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

All is well with Uncle Mac. I emailed with him earlier today. He is bogged down at work. Not to worry - I'm sure he'll be back in the saddle before long ....

6. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

I don't get why people are so attached to him.

Personally, I don't get much from his posts as all he posts are just things like "Wear in good health", "Enjoy" and calling people "Nephew".

Nothing against him or anything, he's cool and all, but there is actually very little content to his posts.

2 people like this.
  7. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

call the shoe mart tomorrow, they'll get you an updated inventory over the phone concerning Indys

edit: if they have indys in your size, anticipate them being $299 (going off a sz12 list with indys that i got this morning)

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  8. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

That size 12 price is a special price. I wouldn't anticipate paying anything less than full retail for any Indy boot if I were you. Unless you get lucky or your able to find something on eBay.

9. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

the poster I was quoting referenced the list from shoe mart, hence me including the price from the list I got this morning

10. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Either you get it, or you don't.

11. CharlieAngel

CharlieAngel Senior member

Good post, Cousin!

3 people like this.
  12. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

shut your face

13. bl@ster

bl@ster Senior member

The schtick does get a little old but he has some nice socks. My first thought was: "how is this f'n guy related to so many people?!"

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  14. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

You can't help but respect him simply for the fact that he has so many Aldens. Also, his shine is pretty much unmattched.

But I see what you are saying, it's not like I can't get through the day without him. However, I did notice almost right away when he became absent.

15. mcbrown

mcbrown Senior member

It's because he has forgotten more about shell cordovan than most of us will ever learn.

It's because he loves shoes, perhaps more than any of the rest of us.

It's because he is to our little sartorial sub-interest what Arthur Sackler was to the world of Chinese antiquities.

His presence enriches our community. His absence diminishes it.

That is why everyone is so attached to him.

3 people like this.
  16. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

:mad:

Trust me, this is a battle you can't win

Mac has been helpful to me over PM, posts great photos of cordovan models, etc. Honestly, his cordovan shoe photos on this forum and others have probably helped a lot of people catch the Alden bug over the past few years - I am one of them. He's pretty influential

17. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

mac and i have pretty different taste in shoes (aside from the fact that we both wear aldens) but you gotta respect the fact that his mac method has become the de facto SOP for shell care.

plus i like the fact that he always lets us know that yes, his socks do indeed go over the calf.

18. sazon

sazon Senior member

Uncle Mac is a true gentleman in every sense of the word, and then some. We are privileged to have him here with us.

19. 11B1P

11B1P New Member

Hello fellow Aldenians! This is my first post on SF so I figure I'll share some camera phone pics of my first pair of Alden's #8 LWB 8D with the antique edging. Sorry the picture quality is not great, and they are do for a good shine as I have only wore them a couple of times (still breaking them in). I picked them up online from The Bureau at Belfast - Merchants & Missionaries. http://www.thebureaubelfast.com/shop/brand/58/alden/ for approximately $850 after shipping and currency conversion ( I know it's a little pricey but I really wanted the antique edge trim from Alden. There are still a couple of sizes left too! I'm already shopping for my 2nd pair of Aldens, I'm hooked!! Looking at #8 or cigar cap toe boots, jumpers, or tankers (if I'm lucky enough!).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. closerlook

closerlook Senior member

well, first that's not really correct. Mcarthur has responded to questions with insight and experience both on the forum and by PM.
    also, mac-method.
    totally nice guy.
    and he does what this thread does best, which is show pictures of awesome alden shoes...

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.