1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AR_Six

AR_Six Senior member

IMO the Indys can handle any day you throw at them without issue, particularly if you have the appropriate sole. There is no need for beaters. Indys ARE beaters. And I speak from Calgary; it hits -30 every winter where I live for weeks.

1 person likes this.
  2. 1965

1965 Member

So I went ahead with the Indy 403 resole. The cobbler ended up stitching the right shoe's welt pretty funky, but I guess that gives it more character, right? Overall, I'm happy to give new life to my favorite boots. The only real issue so far is that the new thicker lug-soles they don't fit in my bike's toe clips anymore.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. ElDave

ElDave Senior member

Forgive me if this has been covered before, but can products like Montana Pitch Blend be used on Kudu Leather? Or is there a more appropriate product?

4. stevent

stevent Senior member

Horween recommends neatsfoot oil

5. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

I have two pairs of Truflare wingtips, the burgundy and alpine grain. Awesome shoes. They fit TTS. The Atom used to be on the trueflare but recent makeups have been on the Barrie or the Tremont as on the Leffot pre-order list.

6. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

I had occasion to stop in at Anatomica in Tokyo. I noticed this suede makeup which they call "navy blue" but the color seems to be deeper and have a touch of sea green when viewed in natural light. Modified last.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. stevent

stevent Senior member

So nice. What was price? $900ish?

8. sellran

sellran Senior member

FYI - I would much prefer an Alden color 8 belt (and cigar and ravello as well), but they are pretty much impossible to find in my experience. I therefore just bought one from Allen Edmonds. They are on sale and have free shipping. Mine arrived quickly and is very nice.

9. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

I'd agree.

I was fortunate however, I was able to get the last Alden Color 8 belt in my size about a month ago from Shoe Mart.

All the other places I tried did not have one in my size in stock, and they had no idea when Alden was cutting any more.

10. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

curious how the AE #8 looks in real life, got any pics you can post? I'm trying to match a belt to a couple pr of alden #8 that are definitely more on the eggplant end of the spectrum, but am finding most online vendors pics of #8 belts tend to be more burgundy

11. sfactor23

sfactor23 Senior member

Moulded Shoes in NYC offers the Alden sole - however, I wouldn't recommend them: they screwed up the stitching on top on the two pairs of boots I sent them, the stitching looks like crap - and it was quite expensive to begin with ($180 a pair) - I swallowed and took it because I didn't have the confidence they'd fix it correctly - I'm hoping that, down the road when they need to be resoled, Alden will fix the screw up - I'll buy shoes from Moulded Shoes, but no way am I bringing them work to fix ever again.

12. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

I'm not sure actually. I didn't ask, but my guess would be around $1200.

13. sellran

sellran Senior member

I have a pair of Aldens in #8 that are purple (light eggplant) in bright sunlight. I can't imagine finding a belt to perfectly match them. In most light no one will ever notice the difference between my shoes and the Allen Edmonds belt.

14. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

I have something very similar from The Shoe Mart and they probably get worn more often than any of my other Aldens. They are super comfortable and work great with whatever I wear on the weekends and whatever I normally wear to the office (unless it's a day I need a suit).

15. ElDave

ElDave Senior member

Holy moly. I want these. It really sucked that Leffot had a great blue suede Indy...and then put it on a red brick sole. If it was on ANY other sole, I would've purchased it. And I'd love these, but $1200 ain't happening.

It's amazing how much variance these things have. My JCrew color 8 cap toe boots are straight up purple in sunlight, whereas my color 8 LWB stays the deep eggplant color. Going with an AE belt is risky... I had a pair of burgundy cordovan Leeds that were straight up red in sunlight - not even remotely similar to color 8. Of course, mileage varies.

16. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

My search for retail stores in Boston carrying Alden returned only NRO and The Tannery. Anybody know of other places? I guess I could check out Brooks Bros, also.

17. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

If you haven't already, check. http://www.aldenshoe.com/store.asp

18. wigglr

wigglr Senior member

Is the tannery in cambridge? I know of a place in cambridge and "the tannery" rings a bell

19. wigglr

wigglr Senior member

The J. Crew CXL 405 is actually the 403, correct?

20. slide13

slide13 Senior member

No. Different welt color and different stitching on the shaft of the boot. I actually like the J Crew version myself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.