***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew, looking good in your ravello nst boots.

2. Kashiwa

Kashiwa Senior member

Having some sizing issue with my new natural cxl plain toe boots, and hope you all can help.

I purchased an 11.5d online. At first, I thought they fit perfect, but after about 10 wears, and perhaps a bit of stretching, I'm now wondering whether they might be too wide. When laced snug, the quarters are already nearly touching, as you can see in this pic.

[​IMG]

And there seems to be a lot of excess leather in the heel and ankle, per this pic.

[​IMG]

I live in Japan, and am unable to find my size anywhere. However, I did visit an Alden dealer in Tokyo before purchasing these. Although they didn't have anything big enough in stock, the very helpful clerk suggested that 11.5 d or perhaps a 12c in the trubalance last would probably fit me well.

I'm wondering now whether it would be best to try an 11.5 c or perhaps a 12 c. The 11.5d seems to be fine for length, so I am tempted to try an 11.5c. Any thoughts? Should I just go the thicker socks and/or insert route?

Also, I was thinking about going for an 11.5c in shell. How would the shell alter the equation? And, to throw in another question, what if I went with the Barrie last instead?

3. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Gents - I have put up two relatively rare cordovan models up for sale - color 4 Atom (tremont, 10D) and whiskey chukkas (barrie, 10D). Check my signature for details.

4. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

I'm not sure about the creasing in the heel. I have a pair of the Leather Soul faux cap toe boots in natural CXL. I tried the 10.5C, 10.5D, 11B, and 11C in the 403 Indy before buying. The 10.5C & 11B were too tight. The 11C was much too big. The 10.5D was also big, but not as bad as the 11C. My quarters come together completely and I have creasing similar to yours in the toe and some creasing in the right instep (just a little). Nonetheless, it was the best overall fit in the Truebalance last. I wear boot socks, and I generally like the fit with or without orthotics.

CXL is a well oiled leather and is more supple than calf or cordovan. They're my favorite boots. I don't worry about the rest.

5. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

thanks uncle!

6. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

looking good, J. Glad you got yourself a pair. Like the Alden SW, its incredibly versatile. Could easily be a "one" shoe

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  7. Kashiwa

Kashiwa Senior member

@PhiPsi32. Thanks for your thoughtful reply.

I also very much like the natural cxl and really hope to be keeping these boots. I'm not in any hurry to replace them, but was just wondering what others experience has been with this issue.

You said that you are "not sure about the creasing in the heel". Are you not experiencing that much creasing? Are you unsure whether this is a problem?

Highly envious of your opportunity to try on so many different sizes. Hopefully I will have the chance somewhere along the line to visit an actual store with actual shoes in my size.

I have a friend coming to visit in a few weeks and I was thinking of asking them to bring these with them in an 11.5c.

[​IMG]

I realize that the shell and cxl are very different leathers. My question was more about whether the less stretch of the shell would perhaps make the 11.5 d more my size.

But, I think for now I will just stick with the boots I have and stock up on some thicker socks. Although, it seems rather counter-productive to be buying (and wearing) thick socks as we move into spring-summer!

Anyone?

9. closerlook

closerlook Senior member

seriously, the most awesome shoe. wish i had a pair.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  10. closerlook

closerlook Senior member

SWB - short wing blucher
    WTB - wingtip boot (i've seen this but it could be confused with the swb)

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  11. terradilavoro

terradilavoro Senior member

Thank you, AldenLuver. It's hard to answer your question about the lightening 'cause i bought them used at Ebay. Maybe you remember the guy who offered more than a dozen of Alden Shells (most on Aberdeen) and half a dozen of Lobb and E. Green shoes apprx. 4 weeks ago. Except the RL Marlow all of them were 1/2 size to small for me. So these Marlow in the right size showed up in mint condition with very very minor signs of wear. Thats why i guess the colour of the shell is just right out of the box.

cheerio
    Joachim

PS pics were made without flash

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  12. sfactor23

sfactor23 Senior member

I haven't ordered from them yet, but I can vouch for their service: I stopped off there a couple of months ago to purchase a pair of boots on the Modified last. It would have been my first pair on that last; Unfortunately, they did not have my size in the boot that I wanted. However, they took the time to measure my feet, try on some alternatives to confirm sizing, and were generally very nice and accommodating. I would not hesitate to purchase from the the next time an opportunity came. Just my humble opinion ...

13. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Old vs new (with flash).
    [​IMG]

14. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

No, my boots don't crease in the heel/counter area. The counters are actually pretty stiff and sturdy. If you're not careful, you can crush the them pulling on the boots. Open up the laces and use a shoe horn. If you've been doing that, I don't know what to tell you.

15. doclocke

doclocke Member

I have worked with Rafael in person in the store. He was very knowledgeable, patient and helpful in finding the best fit on the modified last. I have followed up with him by email on a couple of issues/concerns after my visit and his customer service has been excellent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.