• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soylent Green

Reaction score
Quick bit of advice needed... I own a pare of brown calf LWB and a pair of cigar shell LWB. I have a chance to pick up a pair of dark brown shell Crockett and Jones made for RL Marlow short wing tips for a real nice price ($690 tax included). Would this be a redundant purchase? Should I wait and pick up a pair of whiskey or ravello LWB? Or maybe a ravello wt boot? This will have to be the last pair I purchase for a while (maybe the year). I am a huge long wing aficionado

Great shoe, no doubt, but redundant for you. Wait and get whiskey or ravello lwb. Easy choice, except you need patience and discipline to execute it. If you have to get something now, number 8 lwb would make more sense, IMHO.

AldenLuver

Reaction score
Great shoe, no doubt, but redundant for you. Wait and get whiskey or ravello lwb. Easy choice, except you need patience and discipline to execute it. If you have to get something now, number 8 lwb would make more sense, IMHO.

I actually have the #8 LWB. I need whiskey and ravello to complete the shell rainbow in LWBs!

Jpvfx

Reaction score
Speaking of shoe fitting : Anyone have these LSxSE Special Editions? - What do you think?
These are stunning (imho) - I've had many boots over the years but these, Aldens + (LSxSE) nailed it.

If anyone is struggling with a 8 or 8H as tight fit - please PM me. Sadly my pair of 9D are to big.

Photo courtesy of LeatherSole

Best
Jp

localman

Reaction score
Question regarding the Alden Unlined Chukka. There is some wrinkling at the heel where the back of the upper is stitched to the sides of the boot. Is this normal? Seems to me that this should be a smooth transition.

I can even see on the boots the white chalk/wax line in these areas where the leather was supposed to be stitched on both boots.

Right Boot:

Left Boot:

Any Thoughts?

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of shoe fitting : Anyone have these LSxSE Special Editions? - What do you think?
These are stunning (imho) - I've had many boots over the years but these, Aldens + (LSxSE) nailed it.

If anyone is struggling with a 8 or 8H as tight fit - please PM me. Sadly my pair of 9D are to big.

Best
Jp

I have a pair in Natural CXL. They quickly became my favorite boots. They are a little big courtesy of the Truebalance last. Even going down a half size, I have a bit of room. But I need some room for boot socks and arch supports. Hope it works out for you.

Last edited:

interlockingny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Question regarding the Alden Unlined Chukka.  There is some wrinkling at the heel where the back of the upper is stitched to the sides of the boot.  Is this normal?  Seems to me that this should be a smooth transition. 

I can even see on the boots the white chalk/wax line in these areas where the leather was supposed to be stitched on both boots.

Right Boot:

Left Boot:

Any Thoughts?

This looks normal to me. This chukka has an all-around (360 degree) welt and what your picture shows is where the starting and ending points meet.

Kwaker

Reaction score
That wrinkling may be normal but it certainly is not attractive ... it's as if the material was not carefully shaped around the last.

localman

Reaction score
This looks normal to me. This chukka has an all-around (360 degree) welt and what your picture shows is where the starting and ending points meet.

I understand welt construction. I'm not talking about the welt here. It's the upper that I'm talking about and on the right boot (where the wrinkling is worst) the welt meets on the opposite side of the boot.

I doubt very much that a 360 welt creates this problem.

velomane

Reaction score
Just had a look at my snuff unlined chukkas. They don't show any of the wrinkles depicted above. Sounds like SOP as far as Alden quality assurance is concerned. Enjoy your chukkas! I doubt anyone else but you will notice the wrinkles.

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Need a bit of advice on fit/relasting.

I've had a pair of Indy 403s since September. I measure a true 7D on a Brannock device but a just slightly wide one. I was sized up at Alden NYC and between a 6D and 6E, but the 6D was just a bit tight on my instep when laced. I purchased a 6E, which fit well at first but they have since loosened considerably. Now the quarters close up all the way when laced and I still get a bit of slippage in the heel.

I am thinking of sending these to Alden to get relasted in a 6D. Do they still do this and would you all suggest it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads