1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lagsun

lagsun Senior member

Probably 8.5D. I started my Alden journey thinking I was a true 9D which explains the varying sizes. My most recent acquisitions have been 8D in Barrie and Trubalance and 8.5D on Grant.

2. jt2gt

jt2gt Senior member

Quick review...anyone even thinking of picking up a little tub of Saphir Reno, do it now. Been hitting everything with a dab of this stuff (shell, leather, my watch strap) and it is working wonders. If the creases in your shell are dry and grey, Saphir with get it back to a nice shell shine. I've used venetian too and the Saphir is even better IMO. I'll have to throw up some pics when I get a chance. JT

3. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

I have saphir reno and all the colors saphir offers in shell cordovan cream. Great products.

I would suggest using reno on whiskey shell as opposed to the neutral shell cordovan cream. The latter can slightly darken the whiskey if you are not careful (unless that is the desired result).

4. Man with Apple

Man with Apple Senior member

I know these have been seen before, but I thought I would share some photos nonetheless. I am making my way across Europe and am now in Paris. I stopped by the shop French Trotters today. I have to say this is one of the best shops I have ever been in. They carry more streetwear than anything, but they have a fantastically edited collection and plenty to choose from.

Much to my pleasure they also had a decent selection of Alden shoes in both E and D widths. They had some great looking black shell Indy boots, but I ended up picking up this pair. They are a snuff suede longwing on the barrie last, with eyelets, antique edgetrim and a double waterlock leather sole. So, they are basically the JCrew version from what I can tell, but they come in the E width which I need and JCrew does not offer.

Here are some shots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, I stopped by Anatomica. The customer service is superb. As most know, they focus primarily on the modified last and I just cannot make it work for me. In any case, it was certainly worth the visit.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
  5. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

Some Saphir action this morning [​IMG]

6. Kashiwa

Kashiwa Senior member

@Johnnyrich7, nice pickup. I have the same pair on the way, from J crew via a forum member. Although the pic of the sole on the J Crew page shows a standard double leather sole, the J Crew version is, from what I understand, also on the waterlock sole. Indeed, if you check the description, it does say "oiled" leather sole.

7. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Sunday Morning Saphir schedule:
    Cigar captoes
    Cigar PTBs on crepe
    RL shortwings
    Will post pics

8. Man with Apple

Man with Apple Senior member

Good catch. You are right, the page does show that, but the description is different. JCrew really needs to get their stuff together with their photos and descriptions. I think you will love the shoes. I think they are quickly turning into one of my favorites.

9. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

I have found that retailers, for better or worse, use the following terms interchangeably: waterlock/waterloc, oiled, flex. Or they use combinations of them ...

10. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

One more NRO update: They charged my credit card even though they said the shoes were at least 16 weeks from shipment.

11. REguy

REguy Senior member

I really hope this works out for you, but why would anyone buy from these clowns? Especially when the ad clearly said Aldens are excluded. IMO, you're just asking for trouble from the wonderful crew at NRO.

12. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

I placed the order just in case they actually had them in stock, fully aware of their reputation. As expected, they didn't (or said they didn't), and I cancelled the order.

13. zazaza

zazaza Senior member

I advise you to get a written confirmation of the cancellation from NRO.
    I cancelled my last order with them and they still billed/shipped the shoes 2 months later.
    I had to open a BBB claim to get them to take the order back.
    they are dubious scoundrels.

14. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

Meaning they would not allow you to return the shoes?

Thanks for the warning. I will be calling them in the morning.

15. zazaza

zazaza Senior member

they state that in order to return an item you need to email them and have an RMA # issued.
    they never returned emails requesting an RMA, nor phone calls/voicemails.

but hey, to their credit, they responded within 12 hours of my filing a complaint with the better business bureau!

16. Rishi Kakar

Rishi Kakar Senior member

Hi Alden lovers!
    I've been a keen follower of this forum. To me this seems like one big family. This is my first comment on this forum.
    My shoe cabinet comprises of :

1. Alden Longwing blucher in #8 shell (Alden NYC)
    2. Alden Longwing blucher in Ravello shell (Alden DC)
    3. Alden NST in Cigar (Alden SF)
    4. Alden Perf cap toe bal in Black shell (Alden SF)

This may not be a long list, but considering that I live in India and I discovered Alden a year back, this is my repertoire.

My best wishes to the forum members.

17. wj4

wj4 Senior member

Man, you must be balling in India with those Aldens!

18. Rishi Kakar

Rishi Kakar Senior member

Well wj4, all I can say is I've never seen anyone sport Aldens here in India and I love the fact that I'm wearing a high quality shoe that no one recognizes.

1 person likes this.
  19. weedlewalker

weedlewalker Member

How do I confirm which last the shoe is on in the codes in the inside?

20. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Senior member

That would make ME want them more...:satisfied:

Dude, should've left 'em and added a stenciled "N"...
    [​IMG]

The bad news is that it will. The good is that you at least have a nice guitar and a cute dog you can sell to help fund it.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.