***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

[​IMG]
    #8 saddle
    argyles otc

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  2. pofe333

pofe333 Member

Hey guys, I finally ponied up and bought a pair of Indy boots from Alden DC ( me --> :D ). I have goofy feet and after trying on 1,000 different pairs a 9C ended up fitting like a glove. Kathy is also awesome to work with. I had a great experience there and continue to after the sale. I would highly recommend it.

With that said, question for the Alden connoisseurs. How big of a blemish/imperfection would it have to be for you to second guess paying almost $500 and being satisfied? The right boot has a small gouge, probably made with one of the tools when being built. Without light on it, it isn't as noticeable (which is probably why we didn't see it in the store). Problem is I know it's there now, it wasn't of my own doing, and it's driving me nuts. I threw together some pictures below. What is everyone's thoughts? Getting another 9C could take several months. Would this be something you could look past?

[​IMG]

3. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

That wouldn't bother me. You'll pick up scuffs worse than that. Those are the brown CXLs? Try a little Saphir or Venetian shoe creme.

4. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

Agree with PhiPsi here. These boots will look good with some wear on them and it is amazing what a little shoe cream can do to convert a nick like that directly into character. I can also recommend Montana Pitch Blend for care, whether CXL or other. Really nice and very pleasant to work with. I keep flogging it here. Guy should send me a free tub or something.:) And speaking of it, I've got some boots that need a going over right now.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  5. fredmull

fredmull Well-Known Member

you've seen the indiana jones movies?

6. vento1

vento1 Member

I've had no response, just wondering if any other owners of this shoe from LS had the same missed hole punch on both shoes?

I was told from LS that the whole batch came that way and they still sold it at regular price and not as irregular. They tried to remove it themselves, but couldn't and recommended to me to just fill it in with a felt marker.

Any thoughts on this? Should I keep it or return it back to LS? Is this normal practice to sell a $475 shoe with this missed hole punch? This is my fourth pair of Alden in the past 6 weeks and am disappointed that a shoe of this level has this issue.

7. Therendition

Therendition Senior member

Just bought a pair of used burgundy calfskin tassel loafers on eBay in size 9AAA on the Aberdeen last. Didn't realize they were extra narrow width and they definitely don't fit me. Anybody interested?

8. thecentennial

thecentennial Senior member

Spectacular colour. Bet you dont want to wear them eh? :D

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  9. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Actually broke them in immediately after I took that pic. :)

10. sfactor23

sfactor23 Senior member

this is a cross post from the Alden MTO thread - we have three people interested so far, need nine more -
    If you think you'd like this for the fall, please let us know -

11. triumphman

triumphman Senior member

how to you size in the Marlow vs barrie/trubalance last?

12. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

Good on you.

13. Renalan

Renalan Senior member

I'd go with the same size.

14. AldenLuver

AldenLuver Senior member

I've heard mixed advice. I wear 10D in the barrie last, and I am having the Marlow in 10D and 10.5D sent to a nearby Ralph Lauren store so I can know for sure.

15. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Well, if you are unhappy with the defect on a "1st quality" shoe, I would send it back. LS sells them at full price because people are willing to buy them at full price. Of course, they will probably flip your shoes to the next customer; so it doesn't really hurt their business that way.

Try contacting Alden directly. They may be able to do something about it. What would I do? I'd probably color it. I wouldn't expect anyone to notice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.