• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
mmezgj.jpg

#8 saddle
argyles otc

Last edited:

pofe333

Reaction score
Hey guys, I finally ponied up and bought a pair of Indy boots from Alden DC ( me --> :D ). I have goofy feet and after trying on 1,000 different pairs a 9C ended up fitting like a glove. Kathy is also awesome to work with. I had a great experience there and continue to after the sale. I would highly recommend it.

With that said, question for the Alden connoisseurs. How big of a blemish/imperfection would it have to be for you to second guess paying almost $500 and being satisfied? The right boot has a small gouge, probably made with one of the tools when being built. Without light on it, it isn't as noticeable (which is probably why we didn't see it in the store). Problem is I know it's there now, it wasn't of my own doing, and it's driving me nuts. I threw together some pictures below. What is everyone's thoughts? Getting another 9C could take several months. Would this be something you could look past?

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That wouldn't bother me. You'll pick up scuffs worse than that. Those are the brown CXLs? Try a little Saphir or Venetian shoe creme.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Hey guys, I finally ponied up and bought a pair of Indy boots from Alden DC ( me --> :D ). I have goofy feet and after trying on 1,000 different pairs a 9C ended up fitting like a glove. Kathy is also awesome to work with. I had a great experience there and continue to after the sale. I would highly recommend it.
With that said, question for the Alden connoisseurs. How big of a blemish/imperfection would it have to be for you to second guess paying almost $500 and being satisfied? The right boot has a small gouge, probably made with one of the tools when being built. Without light on it, it isn't as noticeable (which is probably why we didn't see it in the store). Problem is I know it's there now, it wasn't of my own doing, and it's driving me nuts. I threw together some pictures below. What is everyone's thoughts? Getting another 9C could take several months. Would this be something you could look past?

That wouldn't bother me.  You'll pick up scuffs worse than that.  Those are the brown CXLs?  Try a little Saphir or Venetian shoe creme. 

Agree with PhiPsi here. These boots will look good with some wear on them and it is amazing what a little shoe cream can do to convert a nick like that directly into character. I can also recommend Montana Pitch Blend for care, whether CXL or other. Really nice and very pleasant to work with. I keep flogging it here. Guy should send me a free tub or something.:) And speaking of it, I've got some boots that need a going over right now.

Last edited:

fredmull

Reaction score

you've seen the indiana jones movies?

vento1

Reaction score
I've had no response, just wondering if any other owners of this shoe from LS had the same missed hole punch on both shoes?

I was told from LS that the whole batch came that way and they still sold it at regular price and not as irregular. They tried to remove it themselves, but couldn't and recommended to me to just fill it in with a felt marker.

Any thoughts on this? Should I keep it or return it back to LS? Is this normal practice to sell a $475 shoe with this missed hole punch? This is my fourth pair of Alden in the past 6 weeks and am disappointed that a shoe of this level has this issue.

Just received my navy suede shortwings from LS navy suede shortwings. Love the fit and color.

Any recommendation on how to remove the missed hole punch? Not sure how this got through Alden QC as well as LS as they unpacked the shoe to ship it to me with a shoe tree?

Therendition

Reaction score
Just bought a pair of used burgundy calfskin tassel loafers on eBay in size 9AAA on the Aberdeen last. Didn't realize they were extra narrow width and they definitely don't fit me. Anybody interested?

sfactor23

Reaction score
In 2009, Tassels offered the Alden Combat Boot in Black Smooth Calf -

http://www.tassels.com.hk/en/made_to_order_details.php?id=8

I am looking for 11 other people who would be interested in approaching Epaulet about a special order of these shoes.

- Trubalance Last (the only change I am proposing - originally came on Barrie last)

- Premium Extra Smooth Calf in Black

- Flat waxed shoes lace

- matching eyelets

- Rugged Commando Sole

- Pull tab

Gentlemen, nobody is offering this type of shoe - let's get this done now, so that it will be available by the fall.
Who's in?

this is a cross post from the Alden MTO thread - we have three people interested so far, need nine more -
If you think you'd like this for the fall, please let us know -

triumphman

Reaction score

Adam is awesome.  I second the recommendation for Alden of Carmel.  C&J may not make a LWB, but their Marlow wingtip is spectacular! I have the cigar LWB and I'm about to pick up the Marlow also.

how to you size in the Marlow vs barrie/trubalance last?

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, if you are unhappy with the defect on a "1st quality" shoe, I would send it back. LS sells them at full price because people are willing to buy them at full price. Of course, they will probably flip your shoes to the next customer; so it doesn't really hurt their business that way.

Try contacting Alden directly. They may be able to do something about it. What would I do? I'd probably color it. I wouldn't expect anyone to notice.

I've had no response, just wondering if any other owners of this shoe from LS had the same missed hole punch on both shoes?

I was told from LS that the whole batch came that way and they still sold it at regular price and not as irregular. They tried to remove it themselves, but couldn't and recommended to me to just fill it in with a felt marker.

Any thoughts on this? Should I keep it or return it back to LS? Is this normal practice to sell a $475 shoe with this missed hole punch? This is my fourth pair of Alden in the past 6 weeks and am disappointed that a shoe of this level has this issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads