1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

haha love it!!!!

2. ElDave

ElDave Senior member

I think the right answer is a #8 chukka. They're extremely good for the lazy - can be slipped on with no shoehorn, only two eyelets so it ties easily, etc.

3. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

Thanks, I hope you have success finding them eventually. Provided the fit works out, these will be my first Aldens and first pair of shell. Ravello is probably an unconventional first color choice, but I decided to jump of these while I had the chance. Not to worry, I have a few #8s in mind (LWB, NST tanker boot), and perhaps cigar (LHS) if I can find my size.

That makes sense and makes me more sympathetic to this issue.

4. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

Yes, NST. That's a good idea from sevenfoldtieguy. Definitely a different look from what you have and a very nice shoe IMO. #8 NST is available in a range of sizes and widths, so you should be able to find a size that works. Again, totally understand wanting to stick with Barrie as a known known.

And in that vein, the chukka's not a bad idea at all either. Much easier on and off than a boot, with some of the same advantages. I've really admired this in #8 when I've seen it. Pretty likely to be able to get this in an exotic color too. Shoemart might have or call Alden Madison Avenue. I think its a pretty popular item there and therefore well stocked.

5. ElDave

ElDave Senior member

So I'm in the midst of re-vamping my collection, and I keep finding myself wanting things in color 8 and not much else. Anybody own ONLY color 8 Aldens? These will be basically the only shoes I wear.

6. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

#8 is pretty nice honestly. You could live a long and happy life in #8 alone.

7. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

http://www.citishoes.com/pg7.htm

8. sevenfoldtieguy

Not me. But I do have 15 color 8 models (1 is AE and 1 is vintage Florsheim Imperial).

I have various models in all the shell colors, but ...... Color 8 is still the king. :nodding:

9. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

*raises hand*

Forewarning on tanker boots - it took me awhile to find a way to get my hands on some in my size, and I'm still waiting on delivery...

Though, this seems to be the norm with most desirable shell Aldens.

10. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

What shell models are in your current collection? I think most (myself included) would agree that if they had to pick one shell color and stick to it, they would pick #8. I certainly plan to acquire a healthy amount of #8, but a little variety is nice.

11. ElDave

ElDave Senior member

Thanks for the feedback, everybody.

After some trial and error, I've sold my shells and started fresh.

I currently have a LWB and LHS on the way. Both are #8. When I wear suits, I go with a black bal. I'd still like a boot, and I'm hesitant to get another color 8, but I never wear the black shoes I currently have. Cigar or ravello would be an option, except finding cigar seems to be on par with finding a unicorn or sasquatch.

12. sevenfoldtieguy

Cigar or Ravello chukka or PTB would be good options, IMO. Also, either one of these models in color 8 (if you stick with color 8) would serve you well.

13. thebeebs

thebeebs Senior member

Nice....and extra congrats on winning at The Masters.

14. neutrino

neutrino Senior member

Looks like Amore Clothing took down their online store [​IMG]

15. thebeebs

thebeebs Senior member

I personally LOVE my color 8 BB PTBs. They are very different from the stock (style 990) PTBs, and have amazing versatility (jeans all the way up to suit - esp since there's no storm welt, and the last has Barrie-like fit, yet is noticeably sleeker).

Sevenfoldtieguy turned me onto these and I'm extremely grateful. You should give them a shot. Brooks carries them, and stock is limited, so if you don't see 9.5D on the website, you can call a store and have them run a national stock check.

16. sevenfoldtieguy

:rotflmao:

17. sevenfoldtieguy

Speaking of Alden for BB models .... They just restocked their captoe bluchers on the Snap last as well (they haven't even offered them for the last few months). The color 8 Alden for BB PTB and captoe blucher are two of my favorites.

18. mr chorizo

mr chorizo Senior member

cigar beales...fall laces.

[​IMG]

#8 lwb. thank goodness for fall again...

[​IMG]

19. i10casual

i10casual Senior member

Ok, I need to find a pair of those cigar beales, Senor spicy sausage.

20. lagsun

lagsun Senior member

Thanks to Yenni at J. Gilbert, I now have a pair of Cigar Indys. I was on the waitlist for their next order and and she contacted me that someone just backed out of the last order. Going to be hard to explain to the wife as I recently picked up Ravello LWBs off B&S as well. First world problems...

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.