Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sellran

sellran Senior member

Why not do it in shell? I'd be a definite yes if it were shell. I love calf but prefer the durability of shell. If you make it in shell I could see keeping them the rest of my life.

2. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Leffot does a similar boot called the naval boot in black cordovan. Differences include that it is on a double leather sole and on he barrie last.

3. ThomSquared

ThomSquared Senior member

Hey all, just got my first Alden suede in the form of Leffot navy tassel loafers and being that it's my first suede shoe I was wondering if you guys had any tips for upkeep? Maybe some preventative sprays or waterproof products? Any and all help is greatly appreciated... Thanks!

4. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Just a note

For those that have feet on the wider side of things at all - make sure you look for E widths. I recently picked up two Barrie lasted shoes in E (9.5E) and these are some of my best fitting shoes right out of the box. I can still wear 10D in Barrie/Trubalance, but 9.5E feels and looks the best. More and more retailers seem to be stocking E widths, so make sure you ask for them. For those that are frequent buyers at an Alden retailer, make sure you keep asking them to start ordering more E.

5. Kashiwa

Kashiwa Senior member

I would be very interested in the black boots described above, but also in shell, as well. These boots from Blackbird, for example, were slick.

[​IMG]

6. stevent

stevent Senior member

Yeah I'd be down for something in shell along the lines as this with a pull tab and commando sole:
    [​IMG]

7. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

Calf will last you the rest of your life.

8. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Cigar Longwings from Alden of Carmel
    9.5E, Barrie
    Double leather sole, antique edge trim

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are great shoes to dress up, BTW. I am wearing these this weekend to a wedding reception in a suit. Who said barrie last wasn't appropriate for dress wear...

9. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Gents, I am taking the whiskey Indy boots on the road with me this weekend... My destination may have rain tomorrow... I decided to apply Leatrher Defender to the Indy boots. Sprayed some onto a cloth, wiped the shoes down, buffed with horsehair. The product shined the boots up very nicely. I will report how they deal with any rain after the weekend.

10. TheloniusDrunk

TheloniusDrunk Senior member

I really like your pants, where did you get them?

11. sellran

sellran Senior member

May God be with you. After just saying that shell will last you a lifetime (when comparing it to calf), I have to say I wore my black shell Indy boots yesterday during a surprise light shower. I had treated them with Leather Defender but they still got the spots which are visible 24 hours later. Fortunately because it is black shell they are hardly noticible, but if they were whiskey......

12. shaunw

shaunw Senior member

Am I the only one that doesn't give a rats @ss about water marks on alden shell shoes and boots? [​IMG]

I neither baby nor abuse the exterior of my prized shell cordovan. I feel like all the wear, tear, and marks add character to them. Plus with an occasional buff they still shine bright enough to blind you on a sunny day. To each his own I guess...

13. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

All things being equal, shell shoes (particularly ligher colors) look better without water marks than with them

They are Ralph Lauren dress pants (bought unhemmed), I actually got them from some sort of men's clothing store in Aspen a few years ago, Ralph Lauren produces these types of pants annually though, you can find them at the RL stores or at shops like Saks

14. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

thank you

15. furo

furo Senior member

+1000

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.