1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Suede chukka boots on crepe are a pretty common makeup (Church's makes one, for example)

Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
  2. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Agreed - and I suspect the owner, if using Alden trees, went by the Alden size recommendations (and why wouldn't you, right).

Sometimes I wonder if Alden shouldn't tweak their recommendations on tree sizing. For example, 9.5D and up, IMO, can easily go with a large.

3. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

yeah, seems like it's always better to go up with the trees, especially on Barrie and Trubalance. I have a pair of 403's in a 12C, so technically I should use a size Large shoe tree, since it's a narrow size 12. But, I find the XL works much better for my shoes.

4. neutrino

neutrino Senior member

Guys, looking for strategic advice. I've just ordered a cigar LWB from Alden SF. If I need something just a bit dressier (and by that I don't even mean a suit, just some trousers and an OCBD), will a #8 PTB stand up to the task? My reasoning is that it's good to have something in #8, and also in a different style. I only have a natural chromexcel LWB, and I don't plan on having 10+ pairs. Ok, I know what you're thinking [​IMG], but I really don't. So I need maximum coverage with minimum pairs.

Also, is there such thing as a #8 PTB on a commando sole? EDIT: of course, I went to Alden of Carmel for that, but they only seem to have it in black.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
  5. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

Got it. I see where you are coming from. Unlined suede / flex is great in the summer with lightweight chino. Looking forward to fit pics

6. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

Get a pair of C&J captoes for dressier environments

7. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Yes - and I think the responses to this one will be near unanimous. If you get it on the commando sole, you will be making it more casual, and therefore perhaps defeating your stated purpose.

8. neutrino

neutrino Senior member

^ Oh thanks, yes, I'm aware of that, and I'm fine with it. More important to have more grip outside here where I live.

NAMOR, thanks for the suggestion. I think those captoes are too dressy for what I'm after [​IMG]

9. lagsun

lagsun Senior member

I have a pair of #8 PTBs with a commando sole (they were a Alden restoration job before they stopped taking custom jobs) and they are a bit on the casual side. My work is business casual so they are good enough for me but might offload them to fund other purchases.

10. Morgan

Morgan Senior member

If you need something dressier, get a balmoral shoe.

11. CTYGGG

CTYGGG Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Alden x Leffot #8 Tanker

12. rennavate

rennavate Senior member

Thanks for this, Morgan. Reason I ask is that I have a pair of ravello Day Trippers preordered from Leffot in 9D (Grant last) and I'm just wondering how long they will be in comparison to 8.5 cigar longwings, which I own (Barrie last). This gives me some indication! Appreciate the work.

13. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

Cigar Indy by Alden for J. Gilbert:
    [​IMG]

wear in good health

14. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    good looking nst boots

15. neutrino

neutrino Senior member

Guys, thanks for the responses re #8 PTB. If anyone is interested, my question to AoC got forwarded to J.Gilbert, and Yenni replied that they were going to order this exact thing - a #8 PTB with commando sole. No particular time estimate was given.
    I'll think about it though, maybe I'll leave it as it is with the leather sole, and just have some boots handle those foul conditions - especially with that deal going on at Amore Clothing.

16. ambivalence

ambivalence Senior member

^they dont seem to reply my email (amore clothing)

17. Hampton

Hampton Senior member

Very nice!

18. Olifter

Olifter Senior member

Holiday weekend? I emailed him Thursday night and he replied early Friday morning. I called him and placed an order. He called me back almost immediately with shipping details. He did mention they were getting a lot of calls from SF members, and his phone was busy for about 20 minutes before I got through. I ordered a #8 LWB for $525. At 20% off, I'll check there first next time.

19. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

Is it a sale at Amore, or are they just 20% cheaper?

20. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

I recently joined the Alden club a couple of months ago and have since purchased a few of their shoes since then. Initialy I got a pair of plain toe bluchers, then a couple of Men's Handsewn Oxford Luxury Comfort Calfskin in brown and black, a pair of Indy Boots, then finally a pair of Books Bros #8 Cordovan Leather Wingtips.

Great shoes.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.