***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cold war painter

cold war painter Senior member

Usually when companies do this it's to set different prices in different markets, e.g. to allow The Bureau to charge what is profitable for them in the EU without being undercut by Leffot. It's not really to their advantage to leave a market uncovered though, so I would expect that in Australia you would still be able to buy from somewhere.

Of course this doesn't take into account the various special make-ups, etc. Still, there's always proxies, ebay, B&S, etc.

2. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

I own three barrie lasted chukkas - chromexcel, cordovan and suede - they are among my favorite shoes. Chromexcel is my spring go to in the rain, whiskey is great with trousers and jeans, and the navy suede will be worn with chinos, trousers, and shorts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012

3. Roguls

Roguls Senior member

They do expert work. Do not hesitate to use them.

They even do bespoke shoes there.

4. Marcellionheart

Marcellionheart Senior member

Yes, they're quite good. They also have stock Alden parts like the Foot Balance Heel and the Alden Commando sole.

5. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

I was afraid to ask. I'm trying to budget my shoe purchases.

As for the Kudu Indy, I dropped an email saying I would be interested if they decided to restock. And I got the reply that there were coming in a few months and I could put a deposit to reserve a pair.

I'll inquire again after my next pay check.

6. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

7. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    try the six eyelet chukkas it look and fit is superior to the two eyelet chukkas

8. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

[​IMG]
    cigar cap toe boot
    argyles otc

9. furo

furo Senior member

+1, although I take it a step further since I think the barrie in general is just poor for anything but a standard casual boot (minus chukka)

10. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

The 2 lace barrie chukka suffers from an identity crisis. Its somewhere in between a shoe and a boot and frankly I think it looks ugly. I once owned the black shell chukka on commando sole and would wear them to work in a business casual environment where I typically wore wool slacks. Most of my pants have a narrower leg opening so the chukka didnt jive very well. However I will say, I got complimented every time I wore them. Ive since replaced them with a Plaza lasted boot which I think goes better with both work and casual attire. A dress boot can looks great both dressed up and down(see Macs pic below). If you are going to spend $600, go with something drool worthing like a #8 shell indy (furu, moo and alchibides posted one, but make sure to check out furo's :-D) or the official boot of this thread, the day tripper.
    The barrie last is a generous fitting last which is probably why its one of Aldens most popular. Its also a reason why I dont like it. As another member alluded to, its loose in the heel and makes for a clumsy fit and is exacerbated with a 2 lace Chukka. I experienced slippage in the heel and unlike most shoes with multiple lace holes, you cant tighten the 2 laced chukka properly. The generous fit also causes excessive creasing which is visible on just every barrie lasted shell boot.
    these boots are gorgeous. im in love. Plaza last, cigar captoe, all eyelets? Dbear, spend your money on something like this. You'll never regret it

11. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

(high five) i like the barrie by going tts, but with a C width. compensates for the clumsy fit

12. tropics

tropics Senior member

love the cigar boot with eyelets

don't think there is anything like that available at retail these days. would love to be proven wrong.

13. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

You are probably correct

14. furo

furo Senior member

+1000 to this, QFT.

Hey, don't forget about mine :happy:
    [​IMG]

15. kippy

kippy Senior member

Your ideas (and Namor) of casual are highly subjective and should be taken with a grain of salt. Speaking as a person with a wider-shaped foot many of the "sleeker" lasts simply don't work for me. I like the way the other lasts look but recognize they really don't work for my foot.

If the Barrie is good enough for Uncle Mac, it is good enough for the many members of this forum whose feet are wide and whose sense of taste veers away from "sleek". This is Alden's claim to fame no less. A classic hefty shoe.

It would be nice to see you focus on *what you like* rather than piss on my Barrie rainbow constantly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.