1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Distinguished Member

My 403s are a 12C, and I think they look a little better than a standard D width too. It's still a clunky boot, but I think the slightly narrower width helps them look just a tad sleeker. Although, I still think a C in the Trubalance isn't that different from a D in a Barrie-lasted boot. Ideally, I would like something even narrower for my 403s...maybe a while from now when they are ready for a recraft, I will have Alden switch them to a B.

2. lagsun

lagsun Distinguished Member

YMMV as I recently got Shoemart seconds that were lined, Barrie lasted snuff suede PTBs as advertised on the Alden Madison Ave website.

3. Dbear

Dbear Distinguished Member

Thanks much. Last question...I see lined and unlined for suede chukkas often. Are there unlined and lined versions of the cordovan chukka? (I know, could be a really dumb question). Just wondering b/c the retail on the barneys version is slightly less than the rest...and I just want the "normal" version I've seen online everywhere.

4. NAMOR

NAMOR Stylish Dinosaur

5. CTYGGG

CTYGGG Senior Member

PTBs
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. amftx

amftx Well-Known Member

I've never seen an unlined cordovan chukka. The one at Barney's is the version everyone else has, and the same one you see in my avatar. Looks like maybe Barney's hasn't adjusted their price much like everyone else has. They were all retailing around $600-$615 a year ago. Catch it before it goes up. Do it. Now.

7. Dbear

^ thanks man. Good to know. Since I've heard that the barrie last is a bit odd for some people's feet, I kopp'd 2 sizes yesterday. [​IMG]

8. phototristan

phototristan Distinguished Member

Speaking of PTBs, I'm wearing my BB Aldens (black shell, M58 last) today:

[​IMG]

Dont let anyone tell you that you can't wear black shell with jeans, even though they go equally well with a suit!

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012

9. lagsun

lagsun Distinguished Member

LS just posted they restocked their 6 eyelet chukkas in #8 and black if you're interested. Some people don't like the way the regular 1339 2 eyelet chukka fits (including myself) :

http://leathersoulhawaii.com/2012/03/22/alden-shoe-six-eyelet-chukka-restock-lsw-lsbh/

10. NAMOR

NAMOR Stylish Dinosaur

Not a fan of Barrie lasted Chukka. Might be my least favorite Combination. Make it calf and you've got yourself one of the least attractive shoes with all of the Alden price.

11. Dbear

Any specifics? I've read here and there in this thread about how people don't like chukkas or barrie or such, genuinely curious. Do you dislike the last from an aesthetic point of view, or comfort?

I'm just getting in the game w/ Alden's and only have the Indy boot (see avatar, lol). So, as of right now, I value versatility. I picked cordovan color 8 for the versatility in color and durability. And the chukka because I intend to wear it with jeans, chinos and trousers. Basically, a lower/sleeker profiled shoe than the Indy that can be worn in a lot of occasions. I intend to beat it to death and see what happens.

12. onestar

onestar Well-Known Member

That would be correct. Alden is allowing retailers to ship only within North America thus Canada is still OK. For the rest of us, it looks like we're out of luck.

13. onestar

14. 100 yrs

100 yrs Senior Member

i don't mind the shape of the barrie chukka, the problem for me is the heel area of the barrie is so voluminous and there are only two eyelets, the fit just feels sloppy. the only chukka i have is the standard kudu on lug sole, and it's tolerable because the lug sole is so flexible. that said, if it's a good fit for you, then it will be a very versatile shoe.

15. onestar

To each his own I guess. I really like the way the Barrie last Chukkas look and feel. They are very versatile as you say. The simplicity really appeals to me; however I can understand the negativity if the fit isn't right for your foot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.