***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

^ Tell you guys what, next time you see some whiskey, send it this way! [​IMG]
    Here are my whiskey plain toes: [​IMG] They are alright and fairly versatile, though not in winter. Here they are next to the same shoe in cigar shell: [​IMG] I can go on a cigar bender of the likes you have never seen. I am not saying that is a good thing either but I can wear cigar for weeks. Those plain toes are an understated thing of beauty. Here is a pair on whiskey wing tips (not longwings) that I purchased and have yet to wear: [​IMG] [​IMG] I purchased them on impulse and if I had it to do all over again I would probably not purchase them. I would have held out for the longwing. I do not think it matters much though. My RL Darlton is my beater shoe and I love the way that is coming along and I have cigar longwings that I am waiting to wear. I have a pair of dark brown longwings on order with Leather Soul and I want to take comparison pictures. I will tell you that calf is underrated in my mind. I like the way it darkens in the creases. But I still prefer shell. [​IMG]

2. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

Alternatively, you could beat the hell out of your boots AND maintain them. The best of both worlds IMO.
    +1

3. jet

jet Persian Bro

crossposted in MC:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

these are dope, what calf is that and size???

4. robin

robin Senior member

I think they're the j.crew tobacco ones. Mine should getting here soon.

5. airportlobby

airportlobby Senior member

Those whiskey plain toes are beautiful. I'm not usually a fan of the PT, but something about the color of the cordovan definitely compliments their simplicity. Would love a pair.

6. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

these are dope, what calf is that and size???

I think they're the j.crew tobacco ones. Mine should getting here soon.

Right, they are calling them waxed calf.. As was mentioned in the J Crew thread, these are much darker, and richer in color IRL than on the website pictures.. These ones are 10 1/2D, and I should have sized down, but I ordered a 10 also, and will keep the 10 1/2D for wear with a heavier sock, since they feel fine, but a bit roomy in the heel.

7. Trapp

Trapp Senior member

I like the cigars...so much luster.

8. JTK

JTK Senior member

Please help me decide which Aldens to get. I saw the plain toe #8 is person today and now understand what all the fuss is about! They were shoes of beauty, for sure! I'm also interested in the longwings, but am not able to check out a pair in person. I just received a pair of AE strands in walnut, and have a pair of Park Ave's on order. After seeing the plain toes, I'm considering canceling my Park Ave order and jumping up to some Aldens. I would very happy w/ the plain toes, but am intrigued by the longwings, too! Is one model better than the other in cordovan?

9. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Please help me decide which Aldens to get. I saw the plain toe #8 is person today and now understand what all the fuss is about! They were shoes of beauty, for sure! I'm also interested in the longwings, but am not able to check out a pair in person. I just received a pair of AE strands in walnut, and have a pair of Park Ave's on order. After seeing the plain toes, I'm considering canceling my Park Ave order and jumping up to some Aldens. I would very happy w/ the plain toes, but am intrigued by the longwings, too! Is one model better than the other in cordovan?

Very much personal preference. I can't stand the PTBs, they remind me of loaves of bread. I love longwings though, and probably have a half dozen pair in my closet, and another pair on the way (the Aldens for Winn Perry) in April.

10. airportlobby

11. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Gnatty - the WP longwings look just about identical to the J Crew pair. What about these (scotch grain):
    http://www.leathersoulhawaii.com/200...ican-longwing/

or these (tan suede - sold out, but who knows, there'll prolly be a re-up):
    http://www.leathersoulhawaii.com/200...-in-tan-suede/

I have the WP longwings. If I get more lw, it will either be a #8, or a lw in a different last.

Yeah, the WP is very close, the I like the idea of the oiled sole. I love those suede LWs, but have a pair of Alden suede captoes that look close enough, but then, I guess that's your point on the WP and J Crew, [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. airportlobby

The double flex doesn't feel too different to my foot then a broken in standard double sole. Then again, there is something to be said for having multiples of a shoe you really like, and walnut calf lws are easy to love.

13. joel_954

joel_954 Senior member

Are the J.Crew bluchers 'distressed' at all?

14. nakedundermyclothes

nakedundermyclothes Senior member

Regarding the J Crew Longwings, do they run a half size big?

15. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Regarding the J Crew Longwings, do they run a half size big?

I find they do, yes..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.