***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

i need ravello in my life.

2. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

Interesting. I've seen new Ravello right next to new Whiskey and the Whiskey was definitely ligther and more yellow than the Ravello.

3. sfactor23

sfactor23 Senior member

Gentlemen, I could use some advice: I am considering a pair of Alden's on the Van last, but admit I have no idea how they fit, except for them fitting one half size larger than normal. My question is: are they generally comfortable? I realize that with shoe fits YMMV; I am just looking for general impressions. FWIW, I wear a size 9D on the Trubalance last.
    Thanks -

4. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Unless your camera flash is seriously distorting the color of the ravello, I would consider sending that boot back. I understand whiskey and ravello can often look similar, but that ravello looks nothing like the three pair I have owned.

EDIT - If you like the color of the boot, great, but if was ordering a ravello boot, I would want the red/orange undertones present in the shoe, which your pair of boots seems to have none of

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012

5. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

1) Versatility. Many Alden shoes (particularly longwings, PTBs, tassel loafers) can be worn both with a suit and with jeans credibily. Certain other high end shoe models (Edward Green double monks, for example) can also do this credibly, but for the most part, other high end shoes look stranger with jeans than Alden shoes look with suits.

2) Unique leathers. I only own Alden shoes in cordovan (which is hard to get from other makers), suede (which Alden does an awesome job with) and special cow leathers (chromexel, Indy cowhide, etc). These leathers offer unique qualities not readily found in other shoes/boots. For "normal calfskin," I go with other brands.

3) Unique makeups from retailers. I can mosey on down to Leffot and find a unique, head turning makeup every couple of weeks. Other brands are just offering stock shoes or MTOs.

6. zazaza

zazaza Senior member

I'm currently looking to thin my whiskey herd to add some ravello and looking at these pics I'm seriously reconsidering it.
    I don't know if my whiskey has darkened in the short time I've had it, or if the pics people are showing are overexposed or if aldens current batch of ravello is really light, but the whiskey I have looks like some of the ravello I'm seeing.

here's a pic from a pair I'm considering selling. I bought this LWB in oct from shoemart:
    [​IMG]

this was taken with no flash, no sun, just ambient iridescent light.

edit: left shoe is darker because my body was blocking the light above.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012

7. Doughnuts

Doughnuts Member

Out of curiosity, what brands do you go with for "normal calfskin" dress shoes?

8. HorseHide

HorseHide Senior member

The only shoe I've seen/tried on that is built on the Van last is the LHS and the low vamp on that model kills my high instep (doesn't matter whether I size down or stay TTS - going wide helps a little but not enough).

9. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

I have two pair of Church's captoe balmorals (black and brown). I have been eyeing Edward Green for a while, but I need to get my size MTO in most of the models I want.

10. blues4life

blues4life Active Member

I have an 11D Indy with Trubalance last and a pair of LHS 11D with the van last. Both are comfortable. I would say the Indy has a ittle extra room in it t nothing that bothers me much. I would get the same size in both. PS: the LHS fit me like a glove.

11. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    very sharp

12. HorseHide

HorseHide Senior member

Not sure I would rely on the varied pics here - aged Ravello takes on a nice, almost amber, richness. Whiskey doesn't. Whiskey is the least versatile color in the Alden/Horween shell spectrum (IMO).

13. sellran

sellran Senior member

I'm not sure of the color, but they are my favorite pair of boots ever. When I die they may very well be on my feet.

14. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

I think ravello ideally looks like this:

[​IMG]

While whiskey ideally looks like the upper right (see the ravello at the lower right for a comparison)

[​IMG]

Whiskey should look like butterscotch while ravello should look carroty red

15. zazaza

zazaza Senior member

wow. those ravello tassels are incredible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.