1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ElDave

ElDave Senior member

Good luck. I wasn't able to get NRO to provide a hard ship date or UPS tracking number until I got the BBB involved.

2. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

Glad to hear you got your problem worked out. Good for you for standing up for yourself as a consumer.

3. sazon

sazon Senior member

J Crew at 484 Bway has some gorgeous Indys in Chocolate Suede with white stitching !

4. Man with Apple

Man with Apple Senior member

Always nice opening packages from Alden San Francisco.

Ravello LHS

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    wear in good health

6. zazaza

zazaza Senior member

do you remember if they had the normal indy sole or a red micro sole? (i'm in the city this weekend and may need to swing by)

7. redwinglover

redwinglover Well-Known Member

search for Vibram 2644 Durban

8. sazon

sazon Senior member

red micro, i believe. they are on a display table as soon as you walk in

9. zazaza

zazaza Senior member

thanks very much for the info.
    did they have anything else that's not online?

10. ElliottPapineau

ElliottPapineau Senior member

To all the NRO haters: I had a great experience with them.

11. HorseHide

HorseHide Senior member

Never had any interaction with NRO but I hate em anyway (that's ok, right - just like the forum members that feel the need to offer opinions on subjects of which they have no clue? :embar:)

12. ElDave

ElDave Senior member

I'm sincerely glad you had a great experience with them.

But the fact is, NRO has a high number of complaints filed with the Boston BBB, a poor Yelp rating, and a poor reputation on SF. If any one of these was the case, I'd say perhaps there's another explanation. With all three being the case, it suggests NRO is a poorly run shop.

As for my own experience, I was told my order arrived last Friday (the 20th) and would be shipped promptly. I gave them a few days and then decided I'd had enough. If not for me reaching out to contact them, I would've gone over a month without any effort on NRO's part to let me know my order was delayed. I decided I wanted a firm ship date and, given the timeframe and that they've had my money since time zero, I think that's reasonable. After eight phone calls, four voicemails, four emails, and a complaint with the BBB, I finally got someone to take my call (mind you they never called me back) and offer a firm delivery date. I was told that, without fail, the order would leave NRO before the end of business on Friday the 27th (yesterday) and was given a shipping code.

And guess what - I checked with UPS and they haven't received the package yet. It's still sitting at NRO.

In short, fuck North River Outfitter.

13. AldenLuver

AldenLuver Senior member

14. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

I too cancelled my order once I learned it was not in stock. Sounds like I saved myself some frustration. :nodding:

15. zazaza

zazaza Senior member

+1
    I had a horrible, similar experience with them in which I was told 3 separate ship dates which never happened. They never returned my calls or emails asking for a follow up so I cancelled the order.
    I didn't take it to the BBB, but perhaps I should.

they are a terrible outfit and I look forward to the day their beacon hill shop has a going out of business sale that i can pillage.

16. Olifter

Olifter Senior member

I found out about NRO and the 25% off sale on this site and ordered a pair of shells. They responded via email and explained that my order would be delayed up to eight days. About two weeks later, the sent am email canceling my order.

I thought perhaps the 25% off for Aldens was a mistake. They have the shoes I tried to order on their site now.

17. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

God bless you

18. thebeebs

thebeebs Senior member

Any experiences w/ the snap last? Translation to Barrie sizing?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
  19. Therendition

Therendition Senior member

I believe this question was asked and answered a few pages back.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
  20. cloudshift

cloudshift Senior member

Any photos of 96601 (Dark Tan Shortwing) out there? Saw it on The Shoe Mart site, and don't think I'd seen any around. Reminds me of the recent pebbled J.Crew model, which was (of course) Barrie, while this Shoe Mart model is Leydon... Curious how this leather ages.

[​IMG]

Also, any thoughts on Leydon lasted shoes for casual wear? Is the silhouette on Leydon much "slimmer" than Barrie? I've only had experience with Barrie lasted shoes, and wouldn't want something too "slim."

Thanks for any thoughts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.