***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. borderline

borderline Senior member

Now that this thread is nearing 25,000 posts, maybe it's time for a FAQ that could be reposted periodically or stickied or something. Actually, the whole thread should be stickied but that's a different story. Awhile ago (pre-new forum software) I compiled a list of online shops with links, and Jet put that into his first post.

Some basic topics that come up are:
    1) Sizing. The great image posted with all of the lasts could be supplemented with user's experiences.
    2) Break-in procedure
    3) Caring for shell cordovan
    4) Observations about the different types of soles (double leather, waterloc, crepe)
    5) Variations on the Indy boot
    6) Variations in color within the same shell color

Worthwhile? I could help compile stuff or if someone else wants to step up go for it (Namor? NYRanger?)

I know a lot of this is already scattered throughout the thread and on various websites but it would be nice to have it all in one place.:teach:

2. closerlook

closerlook Senior member

PLAZA LAST question

do you guys take the plaza last in your normal size or do you size down?

3. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

I typically wear 7 D/E on shoes (6.5D on Barrie) so same size but but I had to go with an E on the Plaza. I could probably size down th 6.5 because it does have a fair amount of toe room but then I might have to search for a 6.5EE (which is too much of a hassle).

4. 100 yrs

100 yrs Senior member

+1. The last two shoes I've ordered from them are models they don't have listed on the site.

5. P. Bateman

P. Bateman Senior member

As of last weekend, they were in the store on the shelf.

6. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Ah, I see it a PTB and a chukka. Thanks. I may be in the area of Leather Soul Beverly Hills this weekend to check sizing. And my thanks again, the info will help stay aware of upcoming releases too.

Oh, and a FAQ would awesome.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012

7. wesmamyke

wesmamyke Active Member

I have some last and sizing questions. I ordered a pair or boots from Moulded shoe in NY, who grossy overcharges for shipping I might add. They are on the modified last, one that fits large I was told so I sized down to a 9D.

Now these things are just huge! At least a whole size too big I think. What the heck is going on with my feet? It seems unlikely I would be an 8 1/2 or 8D.

For reference I'm usually a 10 or 10 1/2 in athletic shoes. Usually 9D in other boots, Wolverine, Chippewa etc. Presumably a 9 1/2 in dress shoes, I don't actually own any but that's what my feet actually measure out to.

I called to ask about returning them and was told I should go to an Alden dealer and get sized because " Alden's are sized completely different than any other shoe"?? I read A LOT about the sizing on these things before ordering, so felt I was making an informed decision.

Are there any stores in Massachusetts that carry Alden boots, not just shoes?

8. plato

plato Senior member

For a comparison, I wear a 10 in running shoes and Converse Jack Purcells, but my foot measures as a 9d on the regular device at shoe shops. My Red Wing boots are 9d. When I recently ordered my first pair from Alden through a local store, SW cordovan shoes on the Tremont last (which is narrower than the barrie last and others), I had to send back the 9d that was originally ordered for an 8.5. Still waiting a couple more days to pick them up and do a final double check on the fit, but thought my experience might be fair comparanda for you. Sizing just really seems to vary between brands of shoes.

9. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

I wear an 8.5 in New Balance running shoes and a 7 in the Alden Barrie last. The Barrie is considered to be a "size down .5" last as well. It's not impossible to think that you might take 8.5 if you wear a 10 in some sneakers.

You're experiencing the downside of remote shoe purchasing. I hope you get it worked out.

10. Dayman

Dayman Senior member

I had my first order from Leather Soul today. Great customer service when I called and ordered the Alden chromexcel Tanker boot that came in yesterday. I got a call back about an hour later saying they had noticed a small dent in the leather they couldn't buff out of the boot and wanted to know if i wanted to cancel, get the boot from their other store or get a free pair of shoe trees. They sent me an email with pictures of the dent and it was barely noticeable. So, I took the shoe trees! Great service and attention to detail. [​IMG]

11. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

That is great. Good on LS.

12. Dayman

Dayman Senior member

Yeah, I am very pleased, I'll definitely be ordering from them more often.

13. jasonfoote303

jasonfoote303 Senior member

I'm the teddy bear who wears those. If you don't believe me, check out the tattoo I got last year!
    [​IMG]

14. ceoceo

ceoceo Senior member

Man all these sizing horror stories are scaring me.. I went with my Danner hiking boots/Chucks sizing (which is supposedly .5 bigger than tagged). Will I be okay?:embar:

15. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Relax. Don't worry. Everything will be OK in the end.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.