***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lummers13

lummers13 Well-Known Member

The only place I know of is Haberdash EDC on State and Ohio. From what I remember there were more of the 'staple' choices, like a color 8 LWB, unlined chukkas, Indy boots etc. I hear that their special make-ups are gonna be around in the fall. But it's at least a place where you can try some of them on to get a feel for the lasts and such. Tell them Chris L said sent you and look for Zach (assistant manager) or Phil (store manager).

Monday's pics day for Aldens, so let's get them up! Coincidentally, here's Zach rocking some 405s

[​IMG]

Off of http://chicago.racked.com/archives/2012/02/06/zach-on-state-at-ohio.php

2. blue collar

blue collar Senior member

:crackup:

3. HorseHide

HorseHide Senior member

Directions to the best place to pickup Aldens in Chicago? Go to O'Hare (seriously, Alden on either coast, Leffot and Leather Soul). If you are looking for shoes to try for sizing, try Hanig's in the John Hancock Ctr (not great selection but they'll have a few different lasts) or Isle of Man on Lincoln (better selection, fun store in Lincoln Square). I've never heard of Haberdash EDC but if "Zach" gets his clothes there it's probably ok.

4. CharlieAngel

CharlieAngel Senior member

Unfortunately, I'm asian, so it's more flat and wide. I'd say it's more of a Truebalance than a Barrie.

5. lummers13

lummers13 Well-Known Member

lol yeah Chicago's definitely not THE spot to go to pick up Alden's let alone special make-ups. Unionmade Goods would also be a good spot for variety.

I forgot about Isle of Man and Hanig's, thanks HorseHide.

Zach (pictured) is the assistant manager there so he'd obviously be rocking what they sell.

But honestly, if I'm spending $450-600+ on some shoes, paying $10 on shipping shoes back that didn't fit quite right doesn't seem too bad. Sure it might add up if you're sending 10 pairs back, but this forum's been a great help with sizing. I started out with the barrie last and can navigate the other lasts (Grant, Trubalance, Leydon come to mind) pretty well thanks to the size chart and people's personal experiences here.

6. blue collar

blue collar Senior member

:slayer::fistbump: love the sense of humor! thats what we need more of on here. Some people get their balls in a knot too quickly.

being part Scott and part Brit livin in the great white north i have more of the trusquare face goin on... :hide:

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  7. AldenLuver

AldenLuver Senior member

Would you be whiskey, ravello, or cigar. Us Filipinos can get close to cigar in the summer time....[​IMG]

8. brokeassp

brokeassp Senior member

I`ll check out haberdash. I`ve been wanting to try out the indy`s in person

9. advan031

advan031 Senior member

Nose is definitely truebalance though...haha

10. burningbright

burningbright Senior member

They'll probably have the 405's or 403's but don't expect any shell. Haberdash carries brands like Grenson, Red Wing and Wolverine and very few Aldens. They've been talking up getting a #8 captoe boot with commando sole for over a year now and still nothing (I went through J. Crew cuz I got tired of waiting).

Not to bash them too badly, but I don't think the owner has any clue how to run a successful men's shop in the 21st century (I mean it's been over 4 years and still no online store), which is sad because all the guys that work there are cool. They had a great guy who did their buying for them who was from the NYC scene and knew what he was doing, but too many differences of opinion between him and the owner caused him to leave.

Anyway, I'd call ahead and see what they have in terms of sizing.

11. afixedpoint

afixedpoint Senior member

[​IMG]

#8 on Barrie

12. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

[​IMG]

13. ecox

ecox Active Member

Double fail. Big chukka fan here. How can you not like these cigars?

[​IMG]

14. seer

seer Senior member

These are really starting to grow on me. With the type of sole they have I bet they are comfortable.

15. borderline

borderline Senior member

Does anyone here size down 1/2 in the Barrie last between LWB and Chukkas? I have a 10D in LWB Barrie last but the 10D Barrie chukka (CXL) seems big. I think it's partly because of the minimal (2 eyelet) lacing. If you own both a LWB and Chukka in barrie last, let me know your experience. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.