***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CTYGGG

CTYGGG Senior member

When in doubt just purchase for you can never have too many chukkas…

[​IMG]

2. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Well said! It's just me but I think they are too close in appearance. However, they both look terrific. I'd almost lean toward CXL...they look sharp and look like a great casual year round boot...though so would the ravello and cigar, etc. Clearly that's no help at all. Back to lurking...

Now that's the idea.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  3. shaunw

shaunw Senior member

this dead horse has been beat so badly that there is nothing left but............a little shell cordovan :)

4. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

I just got the CXL chukka, honestly it may be one of the best looking Aldens I own. The CXL leather really lends well to a plain toe chukka. It has its own shine that is great.

5. plato

plato Senior member

Hello. Think my other post was held up because I just joined, so pardon the re-post, but no one seems to have seen it to give an answer. What are the shoes in the pic below (I cropped the original post with pics down to just the one in question)? Are they these:

http://www.theshoemart.com/alden-me...432s_ald_m_plain_toe_blucher_barrie_last.html

which I think are these:

http://www.aldenshoe.com/cat_ane7_9430s.htm
    in the
    9432S Brown Aniline Pull-Up

Do people here have good experiences with chromexel? By which I mean, it doesn't scuff too easily and it holds up well over time? Looking for something a bit more casual than the cordovan #8 SW bals I just bought. Thanks for the help.

6. cloudshift

cloudshift Senior member

7. cloudshift

cloudshift Senior member

Though maybe not. I don't see the leather tip at the toe of the sole on the pic you posted.

8. furo

furo Senior member

.... those will be A LOT more casual than the #8 bals... if you're shooting for glaringly casual, I think the tobacco looks best (from the shoemart link you posted)

9. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Looks like he is in Hong Kong. Tassels maybe?

10. CTYGGG

CTYGGG Senior member

I'm almost certain those are the Winn Perry CXL PTBs. CXL is great, here's a few pics of my small CXL collection the Winn Perry CXL Workman Oxford & LS CXL NST. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Too bad I missed out on the LS CXL chukka for they look great…

11. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

imo CXL is a great leather for true lace up, high boots, b/c I think those are a touch more casual than chukkas and CXL is a really casual leather. like the Roy boot - to me that that is the ideal use of CXL. or if you like Indy boots, then the LS Ultimate Indy. I don't particularly like CXL in any shoe, really, but love it in boots.

if I were you starting from scratch (and could actually find a chukka that fit me :) )I probably would go with

Ravello chukka
    CXL high boot (Roy, Indy, etc)

I think those are very different from one another..Cigar is closer to CXL I think than Ravello anyways

12. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Those are indeed Winn Perry CXLs. Barrie last. Looking rather dusty.

13. seer

seer Senior member

I don't think these are made of the same leather. I was looking at the CXL last week when I was in the Shoe Mart store - brown CXL is really a beautiful leather. My Indy boot are made of brown CXL, next to my new love cordovan I think this is the best looking and most rugged leather out there.

14. blue collar

blue collar Senior member

Thanks for all the replies guys! I may not have been super clear in my first post however. I already own the LS CXL Chukka and was unsure if a Ravello version of the chukka would be too similar.
    I think perhaps i'm reaching a little too much and should sit tight and wait of a shortwing blucher to pop up...:confused:

15. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

If you think they would be too similar you might sell your cxl ones and put the money towards the shells.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.