• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So I'm finally at the point where my shell boots (#8's and Cigar) are getting scuffed up where a damp cloth and horsehair brush aren't cutting it anymore. I know that sparse amounts of paste wax a la the Mac method will get out the scuffs but before doing that, should I try switching to a stiffer brush than horsehair, and if so, which brush would you recommend?
Also, I recall people talking a few months back or so about the potential wonders of buffing with a buffer attachment used with a power drill. Can anybody share any positive results from this and what kind of cloth and method they used to cover the buffer attachment with?
I ask about covering the attachment because I've got a buffer attachment for my power drill but the material (a sort of "wooly cloth" for lack of a better phrase) seems much too harsh and looks as if it would actually scuff the shell rather than buff it. I'm curious if covering it with something like an old stocking (didn't gaga use pantyhose for buffing his extensive Japanese collection?) or a flannel cloth might prevent this.
Sorry if these have already been addressed but searching the thread hasn't yielded much and plus I'd like to hear some testimonies for those who did use a buffer attachment.

2711616881_00010f06b6_o.jpg

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

You know, I thought I had seen it all on the internet, but I honestly had never considered nor seen a men's shoe fetish before.

Honestly, as much as I'd love to never discuss that video again, it doesn't surprise me. I remember watching on the news a few years ago about a Korean guy who was caught stealing shoes from outside funerals (people don't wear shoes inside there remember) and when they arrested him he has thousands of pairs of shoes in his home, all different sizes, arranged by size and brand. So, while it disturbed me, the video didn't per say, surprise me.

CTYGGG

Reaction score

Thanks, they are my second choice. Which I may have to choose - I have a high instep and I find it near impossible to get my foot into calfskin/suede Alden Chukkas. The guys at Shoe Mart told me that the cordovan chukkas run a bit bigger because of the nature of the leather and if I get a E that may help.
That's a great second choice. Regarding the chukka the low vamp where it meets the seams can cause problems for people with high arches. This lower vamp seam causes the characteristic ripples in the shell on the chukka more so than any other Alden model. The shell chukka is a little more generous over suede & calfskin because of the way shell forms over the last. I'd recommend a good shoe horn and remember that when you size up in width the heel will also increase making for a loose fit in the heel. Good luck & I look forward to the pics.

seer

Reaction score
That's a great second choice. Regarding the chukka the low vamp where it meets the seams can cause problems for people with high arches. This lower vamp seam causes the characteristic ripples in the shell on the chukka more so than any other Alden model. The shell chukka is a little more generous over suede & calfskin because of the way shell forms over the last. I'd recommend a good shoe horn and remember that when you size up in width the heel will also increase making for a loose fit in the heel. Good luck & I look forward to the pics.

Yes and thanks for the pics. Another question for anyone - I got caught in the rain with my new shells - one shoe has water bumps on it - I know that is not unusual - but that was over a day ago - how long before they go away?

abam

Reaction score
Yes and thanks for the pics. Another question for anyone - I got caught in the rain with my new shells - one shoe has water bumps on it - I know that is not unusual - but that was over a day ago - how long before they go away?

Try rubbing it with the back of a spoon? Another option that has been suggested by Nick Horween is to evenly wet the shell lightly with a damp cloth, then let it dry as usual.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You may not have made the video, but you subjected the rest of us to it.  I may be relatively new, but I know how to use some decent judgment.

If the post bothers you, report it to the moderator. After that, drop it.

100 yrs

Reaction score
so i ordered two black cordovan cap toe boots

- grant last, commando sole, agatine eyelets plus speed hooks from Alden DC
- barrie last, double leather, blind eyelets plus speed hooks from Alden SF

haven't decided which to keep yet, but leaning towards the barrie lasted one. they both look awesome though. i initially considered the 4065 from shoemart, but i'm afraid it is slightly too dressy for what i want. any thoughts?

to offer another data point on grant sizing. i went tts and the fit is decent. there's no way i could have gotten the same size as barrie (1/2 size down). my feet tend towards the wider side so there's that. the 9d grant and the 8.5d barrie look very, very similar. my gf humored me last night and she couldn't tell which was which. she actually picked out the barrie as the sleeker of the two, but i think that was due to the sole. not much of a fan of the monster heel they use for their commando soles.

Todd V

Reaction score
Seems to me that the real difference, other than color, is the absence of speed hooks on the 4065. I do love the 4065 but the lack of speed hooks is a minor negative. I guess it makes it more of a dress boot as speed hooks could damage one's dress trousers?

That said, I don't think that slight difference makes it too dressy unless it is the Color #8 you don't life.

so i ordered two black cordovan cap toe boots
- grant last, commando sole, agatine eyelets plus speed hooks from Alden DC
- barrie last, double leather, blind eyelets plus speed hooks from Alden SF
haven't decided which to keep yet, but leaning towards the barrie lasted one. they both look awesome though. i initially considered the 4065 from shoemart, but i'm afraid it is slightly too dressy for what i want. any thoughts?

localman

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Just wondering if color abnormalities and textural abnormalities are the norm for #8 boots. I keep getting boots sent to me from J. Crew that have either dark splotches or a lighter spot or a strange textural abnormality on the toe etc. I am just wondering if I am fighting a losing battle here in trying to obtain a "clean" pair.

Thanks for any help!

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey Guys,

Just wondering if color abnormalities and textural abnormalities are the norm for #8 boots. I keep getting boots sent to me from J. Crew that have either dark splotches or a lighter spot or a strange textural abnormality on the toe etc. I am just wondering if I am fighting a losing battle here in trying to obtain a "clean" pair.

Thanks for any help!
It's natural to have some imperfections.

Salad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Yeah, pretty much. You'll never get a perfect pair. When buying my pair of #8 PTBs, the first pair had a big dark spot. I sent them back. The second pair had similar smaller blotches. I kept them. Both came directly shipped from Alden. It doesn't bug me anymore. With wear and exposure to sun, the color will start to vary anyway.
I never got any "textural abnormality" though. Like little bumps or something? I know that if shell get wet, sometimes you'll get little bumps but from what I've read here, you can brush them out. I've never dealt w/ it though so don't take my word for it.

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, it's normal. I've looked through many pairs of shell shoes/boots and most have some sort of flaw somewhere. Textural abnormalities on the toe area seems particularly common, I wouldn't call them bumps but it doesn't have the glassy smoothness that other parts of the boot seem to have (it's sort of an orange peel type effect). I have a feeling it has to do with stretching shell over the last in that area because it's really only on the toe that I've see it. Don't think you can really get away from that too much from what I've seen. Some slight color variation isn't uncommon either, it is dyed natural hides after all so I think that is somewhat acceptable to a small degree, but large spots or splotches are not something I would accept.

CTYGGG

Reaction score

Here are your options in no particular order for water spots on shell…Alden leather defender, venetian cream, Saphir renovateur, horsehair brush, soft cloth, spoon, deer bone, overshoe or lastly don't wear shell when it's raining or snowing outside. I'd brush and buff first and then maybe a little Saphir & then some leather defender afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads