Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. London

London Senior member

The Indy's are my favorite shoes. I've put a lot of miles on them walking through the city, and just about every time I wear them, I get compliments.

2. MiniW

MiniW Senior member

Sure. My current favorite is the Alden NST. In addition to the shoes, I have some NST boots on order from Leather Soul. Looking at the snout of the NST reminds me of what some call a "camel toe;" call it my Rorschach test, if you will. I like to look at my feet and remember what prompts me to dress nicely in the first place.[​IMG]

well I also have a pair of the shell NST tanker boot on order so cheers to that. IMO though the styling of the Indy and NST boot is not all that different. Of course I prefer shell cordovan so I'm very much looking forward to getting those in addition to my regular Indy's. But again, take a look at the two styles, both in the same color shell

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(pictures courtesy of leather soul)

Can you honestly say that there's a big difference in style here?

3. JonB27

JonB27 Senior member

^Agreed for someone who thinks the Indy is "blah" it's kind of odd that you like such a similar boot?

4. vivalet

vivalet Senior member

Carroll and Co in BH and Pasadena had a 25% off on all sales over $500, so I got some 9901s

5. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Carroll and Co in BH and Pasadena had a 25% off on all sales over $500, so I got some 9901s

Is this still going on by any chance?

6. batorizer

batorizer Senior member

I finally made it to Lennox Square Mall after having a horrible morning; some maniac lady smashed into my car at the bank. Anyway, I had a nice chat with a guy at the brooks brothers store while looking at the cordovan selection there. I also went into H. Stockton and talked with one of the SAs about Alden for a while. They had a custom made boot in the kudu leather that was quite nice. It's fortunate that they didn't have my size because the more I looked at it, the more I wanted it.

7. xchen

xchen Senior member

batorizer, go to Sid Mashburn in midtown tomorrow. He is 10x more knowledgeable than anyone at Lenox and he has the coolest stuff ever. So much variety in his store, and an awesome guy to boot.

8. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus Senior member

x2 on Sid. Haven't been there personally, but I've heard a few people say it's the place to stop by.

9. xchen

xchen Senior member

Ludey, next time we are going I'll let you know. We can meet up at my place, down some carbombs, and you can ride down there with us and I'll get some shell cordo Aldens.

10. hartgolf

hartgolf Member

I own both Alden leather and also Alden cordovan (2 pair of their loafers in cordovan) and I used the same size in both shoes-11 1/2 D. No difference in sizing for me. Bought them at The Shoe Mart in CT-great people to purchase from.

11. vivalet

vivalet Senior member

not sure, but probably. It was one of those unadvertised promotions. They tell you in the store to get you to buy. It worked on me!

Is this still going on by any chance?

12. Zazamoot

Zazamoot Member

There have been some impressive remarks made regarding the longevity of Alden's cordovan shell shoes. Has anybody actually had a pair for close to a decade? How have they held up? I'm very curious.

13. dibadiba

dibadiba Affiliate Vendor

There have been some impressive remarks made regarding the longevity of Alden's cordovan shell shoes. Has anybody actually had a pair for close to a decade? How have they held up? I'm very curious.

Saw these on superfuture a while back. 15 year old #8 cordovan alden chukkas.
    [​IMG]

14. The Deacon

The Deacon Senior member

I had a pair of black Shell Alden captoe double soled custom made(bal captoe with heel counter) balmorals, purchased at Filene's Basement in Boston in 1993 for $173, for 13 or 14 years. I resoled them 3 or 4 times and then sold them on ebay for $90 I think. They looked good but I found that by the end my feet would push more to the front of the shoe then be comfortably ensconced and supported as they once were. I probably should have had Alden resole and relast as opposed to the cobbler in Albany that last time.

I recently bought a pair of older vintage shell Florsheim plain toe bluchers that are easily from the 60's. brownish/burgundy tones are starting to show thru the black and it's neat to see.

15. Eagle

Eagle Senior member

While my oldest pair of Alden shell cords have only seven, plus years of use on them (and they do look great); my oldest pair of shell cords are a pair of AE Leeds, in #8 shell, that have been in my shoe rotation for the past 26 years...numerous resolings, a full re-crafting and the still look great! Shell cordovan foot gear is made to last! [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.