***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MickCollins1916

MickCollins1916 Senior member

2. cloudshift

cloudshift Senior member

Good stuff.

3. Costa

Costa Senior member

I have a question that has been perplexing me for about 2 months. I have a pair of Alden Shell Chukka's I bought at the Tannery in Boston. I went there to try them on. I usually take an 11, tried on the 10.5's (knew from reading here to size down 1/2 size). When I tried on the 10.5's, I was swimming in them, they had no 10's, so I took a leap of faith and had them send me a pair of 10's to my home. They fit like a charm. Fantastic, been wearing since last fall.

Fast forward to a few months ago, and I decided that I would buy a pair of cap toe shell boots from J Crew via online. Chukka's are Barrie last, as are these Cap toes. Received them, did the Mac rug method for a few hours every week to make sure. Just was not sure, they felt tight, but the tipping point for me was the Barrie last Chukka's that fit so well.

Long story short, they don't fit, they are just too small in the toe box. I have worn them about 5 times (mostly shorter days in the office, to break them in), and I need to part with them. Its breaking my heart, I love these shoes.

I thought when a last fit, you go with it. I do it with AE's, and its worked perfect. I am determined to get a pair of these boots, but know I don't know which way to go size-wise. I'm afraid that the 10.5's will be too big, and at over $600 a whack, this could get costly.

Can anyone shed any light on why these two shoes on the same last do not fit the same? I know there are a lot of talk about the Barrie last, but the Chukka's fit great on that last. Why do the Barrie lasted Chukka's fit? I just need some input before I dive back in.

Also, if anyone is interested, I need to part with these. Less than half ($300) a good starting point? Came with bags as well. I don't really buy or sell here, mainly just read. Again, thanks for any/all input!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. CharlieAngel

CharlieAngel Senior member

[​IMG]
    Alden x Leather Soul * 2
    (shell #8 on left, shell black on the right)

(And for posterity, I wear a 10.5 in chucks, and I wear a 10.5 in these, the truebalance last)

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012

5. lummers13

lummers13 Well-Known Member

Awesome. Those are the Jumpers no? I'm hoping to get a captoe color 8 for my next pair. Just deciding on either the grant 4060 or the J.Crew on barrie.

6. ninja07

ninja07 Senior member

beautiful shoes!

7. CTYGGG

CTYGGG Senior member

Thanks! You can never go wrong with cigar it's a versatile color.

8. CTYGGG

CTYGGG Senior member

Great looking LWB, enjoy wearing them.

9. MiniW

MiniW Senior member

if I were in your position, I would also consider the possibility of a captoe boot on barrie (something like the J Crew jumper boots, or the Unionmade Kirkwood boot with commando sole), OR the classic 1339 shell chukka in #8 (though from personal experience I found the shell chukka to be a bit blobby compared to lace up boots in the same last and size). in any case you have a great collection already so don't rush to get anything that is not 100% what you want.

10. kram6136

kram6136 Well-Known Member

Great advice (not to rush if not 100%), thanks! Cap toe boots look great, but I have always had painful experiences with cap toes. I've tried many brands and sizes, but always wind up with pain on my instep or on top of my big toe knuckle where the cap ends. I've given up on them.

11. cj610

cj610 Senior member

Those jumpers smoke............One of the best make-up of Aldens ever. Wear them in good heath.:slayer:

12. CharlieAngel

CharlieAngel Senior member

[​IMG]

I'm diabetic... :(

;)

Thanks.. and yes, I agree. These were my "dream" boots. I went into the LSBH shop with the intentions of buying a pair of Indys, and these were sitting on the shelf. Tried them on, and decided I needed them. If they exist in Cigar, I don't need to know.

13. IamCargo

IamCargo Member

when tanker meet tanker :D

[​IMG]

14. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

15. maxusone

maxusone Member

How long do you guys let the wax dry before buffing it on cordovan shoes ???

I use the alden paste wax #8 and black.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.