***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seer

seer Senior member

I live up in Torrington, about an hour and a half away. I'm glad I don't live closer - they had a lot great shells in the irregular dept.

2. seer

seer Senior member

The guy who sold these to me, Chester, was pretty close to the Mac Method in how he told me to care for them.

3. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

I just saw this post - this is pretty convincing.

I need whiskey longwings...

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  4. EngProf

EngProf Senior member

I fear that this is very much a you-have-to-try-it-on matter. But I'm a 7D in Barrie, which fits a tad loosely, and my 7.5D Hamptons are the best-fitting shoes I own. I tend to wear the same socks in both, but occasionally compensate for the slight looseness of the Barrie by using heavier socks. So it really sounds to me like you'd be best off in 11D.

5. furo

furo Senior member

6. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

A 7C on the Barrie fits me loosely, while a 7.5B is my correct Hampton size. If you're not particular about fit it might work for you, but I would suggest not.

7. AldenLuver

AldenLuver Senior member

So simple yet fantastic. I've been considering the color 8 PTB as my go-to pair. Need to pick up a pair.

8. seer

seer Senior member

You know growing up in a neighborhood of Italian men from the old country the PTB is pretty much all they would wear. There was a wingtip here or there, but these plain toes were standard. I remember thinking how old fashion, how stodgy. But as I grow older I’m coming to love the lines and simplicity of these shoes. They have a quiet elegance.

9. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

I live 3+ hrs away and think it's a manageable distance and a worthwhile trip every now and again :) CT had been part of my sales territory for 5+ yrs until just recetntly so it made it easy to swing by every couple of months. Nowadays, I only get as close as Springfield, MA and that's rare. I know what you mean about the benefit of *not* living closer...I'd go broke!

10. wj4

wj4 Senior member

Thank you. The suede PTBs were Irregulars. For $300, I can't complain. I think I am done with Aldens for a great while, unless I can get the legendary #4. Now time to work on C&J and Carmina!

11. BIGBERTHA

BIGBERTHA Well-Known Member

12. P. Bateman

P. Bateman Senior member

Alden SF has ptbs in natural chromexcel. So sweet

13. seer

seer Senior member

Good - you trapped him, now call the exterminator! ; )

14. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

Well, looking at the B&S listings in your signature, it seems you might be a Barrie 10. Don't mean to cost you any money, but AoC has a pair of whiskey longwings listed on its irregulars page in that size. I've found Adam's standards to be very high.

15. localman

localman Senior member

Sorry for the delayed response.

I sized down a half size and they fit me perfect. I also own the J. Crew Indy's which I also sized down a half size with. Those are a bit more roomy but fit good as well. Also for more pics you can check my profile there are a few more.

As a side note I really can't say enough good things about J. Crew's customer service. I received a pair of the cap toes as a gift and after slightly less than 2 months the speed hooks started tearing through the leather. After getting the order number they sent out a replacement pair immediately, then upon receiving those and seeing some textural abnormality on the toe of one of the boots they sent out another pair; unfortunately with some scratches that were deeper than the finish of the boot, so after contacting them again they are now sending out another pair overnight and hand checking them to make sure they are blemish free.

All that without having to plead or beg or anything like that. Just stated the facts and they were happy to help. Naturally these ones will be hand checked and chock full of scratches and they will pull a 180 on me and not accept an exchange, but I'm hoping not.

Just wanted to share that for anyone that has a pair of J. Crew boots and may be experiencing some problems.

Great thanks for the reply!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.