***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

what is the general consensus on Alden Belts? Anyone have any experience with them and are they worth the $95 price tag?

I have one that I quite like, but I thrifted it rather than paying retail. It's probably worth it, but I'd still have a hard time paying that much for a belt.

2. Gingahbman

Gingahbman Senior member

I'm thinking about ordering the Roy boots, but just have a quick question about sizing and thought you guys could help out.

I'm a little bit worried about the width of the shoe by sizing down. I typically wear 11.5 for Timberland boots(I'm assuming D is their standard) so using that as a loose benchmark, how does the Barrie fit size wise in comparison?. I see that Context recommends sizing 1/2 down to adjust for length, but does anyone know how much the width/roominess is affected?

Thanks.

3. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

I thought these were leather lined but the shoe mart site indicates they are duck (unless I'm reading it wrong).

Definitely leather lined. Are you looking at the chromexcel or regular 405?

4. rolling green

rolling green Senior member

I appreciate the feedback. So are you going with the 8's because of your insert? If you're the same size as me then you would go with the 7.5 right?

Yep. If I were going without the inserts I would wear a 7.5

5. Trapp

Trapp Senior member

I must be looking at the wrong listing, but it does say Chromexcel. The following is taken from the Shoemart site (and comes up when I click the Chromexcel option after doing a search for indy):

"Alden Men's Indy Boot High Top Blucher Workboot
    Style #: 40514H"

"Heavy, 100% Cotton Duck with Leather Facings at Eyestays, Back, and Top"

It doesn't mention anything about the Bootmaker's Edition. Maybe I'm just confused by the way they have the listing set up: Chromexcel ($450) is there as a color option rather than a different configuration, so the description retains the standard 405 specs even when you choose 'chromexcel.'

Either way, I just wanted to confirm that they were leather lined-- and I'm glad to hear they are.

6. velomane

velomane Senior member

Trapp,

You are looking at the correct boot. I'd say there is simply an error in the description.

7. arrow

arrow Senior member

Trapp... I ordered the Brown Chromexcel Indy from Shoemart and it is leather lined.

The Black Indy 405 is also now available at Shoemart, with an upcharge compared to the NY Alden price.

8. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

I must be looking at the wrong listing, but it does say Chromexcel. The following is taken from the Shoemart site (and comes up when I click the Chromexcel option after doing a search for indy):

"Alden Men's Indy Boot High Top Blucher Workboot
    Style #: 40514H"

"Heavy, 100% Cotton Duck with Leather Facings at Eyestays, Back, and Top"

It doesn't mention anything about the Bootmaker's Edition. Maybe I'm just confused by the way they have the listing set up: Chromexcel ($450) is there as a color option rather than a different configuration, so the description retains the standard 405 specs even when you choose 'chromexcel.'

Either way, I just wanted to confirm that they were leather lined-- and I'm glad to hear they are.

Trapp,

You are looking at the correct boot. I'd say there is simply an error in the description.

Yes, the listing is wrong. Looks like it was referring generically to the Indy. These are definitely leather lined. Check the "other views" option, it should show you the inside.

9. Trapp

Trapp Senior member

Cheers, all (I thought something was amiss)

They're spectacular boots.

10. alleyooptroop

alleyooptroop Senior member

Yep. If I were going without the inserts I would wear a 7.5

awesome. thanks.

11. edubs01

edubs01 Senior member

The upcharge in the Black Indy may have to do with the Shoemart version being leather lined.

QUOTE=arrow;2899686]Trapp... I ordered the Brown Chromexcel Indy from Shoemart and it is leather lined.

The Black Indy 405 is also now available at Shoemart, with an upcharge compared to the NY Alden price.[/quote]

12. jet

jet Persian Bro

What last are those #8 captoe boots on they look nice, hopefully not plaza. I was finally able to view the pics.

13. Dethevn

Dethevn Active Member

What last are those #8 captoe boots on they look nice, hopefully not plaza. I was finally able to view the pics.

They're plaza, from LeatherSoul

14. Arizor

Arizor Senior member

Yep, sorry Jet, plaza last. Is the plaza too narrow for you or ?

15. jet

jet Persian Bro

I'm not a huge fan of the chiseled shape and from those angles I couldn't tell they were. I like that hampton I think it is a little more sharp I think but boots do look great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.