***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

It's hit or miss. Their system really sucks. They blame it on Gmail.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012

2. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

You can put it on a used sole. The only time I think (I'd confirm with a cobbler as I have a different trade) it is not recommended is when the sole is about to wear out (feels 'soft') or already has a hole to the mid-layer.

I put sole guards on a handful of my shoes and if you send them to B. Nelson (Nick V.), he can also have flushed metal toe taps added to the sole guards.

3. AldenLuver

AldenLuver Senior member

If you are comfortable wearing a PTB with a suit, I don't see the problem with chukkas as acceptable dress shoes. However, there are those that think the PTB is too casual for a suit because the Barrie last is too big and clunky looking. I disagree.

4. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

kgmessier explained this a while back (at which point I was in the same boat as you are now), so tip of the hat to him.

I'm reposting an image to use as an example (assume it is the same if you are posting from a link as opposed to uploading an image).

[​IMG]

This image is based on some code that has the dimensions represented in it like this:

width/350/height/263

You want to increase both numbers proportionally (say, doubling). And note that the code has the dimensions cited twice (once in the URL layer and once in the IMG layer). Make sure you increase both instances of height/width to get the image to show up larger on screen.

Make sense?:)

Thanks for posting your photos. Love those Cigar LWBs (and your 974s). Showing great taste in your Alden collection.

5. AldenLuver

AldenLuver Senior member

LOL!! [​IMG]
    I can't believe it. My color 8 and J Crew tobacco Alden LWB's both have the missing perf! My Florsheim pebble grain LWB does NOT have the missing perf... go figure?? AE's look pretty good but I don't think they come close to the comfort of any of the Aldens I've tried. Nothing like the feeling on my feet of brand new Aldens direct from the factory. I never would have thought I would buy shoes with this cost. Don't think I'll ever settle for anything less.

6. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

it should be slightly worn to get best results.

7. yulun405

yulun405 Well-Known Member

What model is Tassels currently offering now? I would be interested in getting on the list as well.

8. CTYGGG

CTYGGG Senior member

Thanks for your service!

9. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Awesome - thanks so much for the clarification

10. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

You got screwed if you're paying 20% for dress shoes.
    I've bought literally dozens of pairs from overseas and they've usually been categorized as 6403.99.6075 which is 8.5%
    http://www.usitc.gov/publications/docs/tata/hts/bychapter/1200c64.pdf

One time DHL put a pair in a category that ended up being something like 12% but the amound difference wasn't enough to do anything about. it.

You're right though you're at the mercy of the shipper filling out the declaration form correctly.

11. ceoceo

ceoceo Senior member

Or, what you can do is upload the picture, right click on the picture (it should show you a bigger picture), copy image URL, and click edit post.

delete this part -> all of them,
    URL=http://www.styleforum.net/image/id/1312806/width/350/height/263]IMG]http://www.styleforum.net/image/id/1312806/width/350/height/263[/IMG[/URL

and put down [​IMG]

this will show the original size of the image. The thing with this is that if a picture is too big, like advan's professional pics, the picture will take over the screen. In that case use KG's method.

12. NotClever

NotClever Senior member

Genuine question: Are loafers and longwings really considered less casual than shell chukkas? I personally feel like chukkas are relatively sleek compared to longwings and compared to most loafers (although I can see Aberdeen loafers beating them out, what I usually see guys wearing are like beefroll loafers with suits, which just looks out of place).

13. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

Wearing my #8 LWBs today.

[​IMG]

14. g.michael

g.michael Senior member

I completely understand as I own both for different reasons. Alden does have some incredible make-ups and their color 8 is a fascinating and unique color. Either way my wallet ends up hurting.:satisfied:

15. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

it's hard to just lump shoes together on the formality scale b/c of the category they fit in. most here consider the LHS much more casual than the full strap, but both are loafers. I guess you reference this.

I'm not sure why a #8 Barrie lasted chukka would be very different on the formality scale than a #8 Barrie lasted PTB or longwing with similar welt. (whether or not you think a PTB is more or less formal than a longwing is a different question I guess). I guess most consider boots to be a bit less formal, but I'm not there is a huge difference between a chukka and a standard blucher.

there are plenty of other chukkas that are sleek/elegant though.

ie the black chukka here would be way more formal than a barrie lasted #8

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.