***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seer

seer Senior member

Well I don't see a lot of people arguing with me. And to be honest calfskin does not get a lot of respect around here. You guys love your cordovan and are always shouting about it - and that is fine. Well I love my calfskin, and for form and function, I believe it equals shell - IMHO.

2. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

You may be right. However, I think there's a lot of "shell is 100% the bestest shit in the world evar" that gets passed off as fact. I love shell, as I said, by a 10 to 1 margin over calf, but it isn't perfect!

Seer, post up some calf shoes when you get a chance.

3. seer

seer Senior member

Perhaps I just don't get it. It was like the cartoon that was linked. Considering all the problems with, and difficulty caring for shell, that I read on this board I wonder - what is the draw? Why?

4. advan031

advan031 Senior member

Someone can read this as argumentative...lol Can calf replicate the awesome patina of Color 8, Cigar or Ravello?

5. seer

seer Senior member

This is indoor light, it doesn't really give you the depth of color, but the shine comes from Obenauf and brushing. I will try to get some pictures in natural light this week end.

[​IMG]

6. seer

seer Senior member

Well my calfskins have some great patina too. So with all the hassle, cost, babying it comes down to color?

7. advan031

advan031 Senior member

At least to me yes it comes down the Color 8, Cigar and Ravello colors in which calfskin can't replicate. I rotate my calf and shells and both are low maintenance "so far."

I gotta give obenauf LP a shout out though..that stuff is indeed awesome.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012

8. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

Quit trolling.

Here you said:

Also all from you:

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012

9. furo

furo Senior member

^^ lulz

I do get a sense of the troll

10. CharlieAngel

CharlieAngel Senior member

I can't wait to get a pair of those NRO shell Indys so I can beat the hell out of em on my motorcycle.

11. NotClever

NotClever Senior member

I think maybe what I'm interpreting as baiting argument is the implication that there is a factual amount of hassle and babying involved with shell. I don't see an amount of hassle or babying espoused here that outweighs what I see in the calfskin shoe care thread at all.

12. commodorewheeler

commodorewheeler Senior member

For me, the reason that I don't talk about calfskin much in the Alden thread is because I personally think that the shell Alden uses is better quality than the calfskin that they use. The calfskin that higher end brands like Gaziano & Girling, George Cleverley, and Edward Green use is of higher quality than Alden's calfskin IME, and that is the stuff I get more excited about when it comes to calfskin. If I am buying those brands, I prefer calfskin, if I am buying Alden, I prefer shell.

Now you are starting to troll.

Calf cannot replicate the patina of shell, just like shell cannot replicate the patina of calf. If the quality of the calf is high enough, you can get just as good if not better of a patina than on shell, but it's really a matter of personal preference which one is better.

13. seer

seer Senior member

How is that trolling? First, I never even suggested that I wasn't tempted by shell. I was. Second, after listening to YOU GUYS I don't see how it is worth it. Third, the natural CXL boots that I purchased had a defect in the leather. Not so with my brown CXLs or my other calfskin.

14. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Who would have thought we'd have mac vs windows level of blithering idiotic argument over cordovan vs calf?
    :foo:

15. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.