***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

You do these things by choice. Do nothing or do these things way less and shell will still look better and last longer over all.

Also, neglected shell can be restored to a large extent, calf leather, nope.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  2. commodorewheeler

commodorewheeler Senior member

I agree. I like shell, but I don't feel that it's really lower maintenance than calfskin. IME, shell scratches a lot more easily than calfskin and gets blotchier from water droplets than calfskin does.

I also find it more time consuming to polish. Sure, it generally doesn't need polish, but it needs more brushing time to get a good shine than calfskin does, IME.

3. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

the water droplets thing is a weird one. like I bought my shell shoes specifically for rain, and I have walked around in downpours and been completely dry and happy (plus dainite soles!). most leathers would have soaked through. and the shoes have come through spotless.

but some others have problems.

4. furo

furo Senior member

That a granny knot on the left foot? *doh* :(

^ Have noticed the same thing. On my black shell captoes (aberdeen last) there is no blotches from rain at all. But on my two pairs of whiskey (Vass and Ron Rider) shells, the water stains can be a royal pita to remove, and I'm not convinced anything other than time can completely expunge them from the leather

5. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

My worst spotted pair of shoes happens to be black. These shoes got it very badly after one rainy day. After 2 years of brushing and messing around, the shoes are still not really that smooth. It's a bummer. Now I don't wear shells in the rain.

6. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

Shell actually looks terrible if you do nothing to it. They become a dusty mess.

Shell has a lot of fine qualities (I own 10 pair of shells for every pair of calf shoes), but the ease of maintenance is greatly overstated on these forums.

7. commodorewheeler

commodorewheeler Senior member

That is not true. Neglected shell will dry out and crack over time just like calfskin does. Once it is cracked, I actually think that calfskin restores better than shell does, especially if you use something like Obenauf's LP, because it is more supple to start with.

8. seer

seer Senior member

Is it all worth it? My calfskins have been soaked through and I never had a pair that I could not bring back to nearly pristine condition. I can walk through anything in any season - no worries...

9. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

I think part of "ease of maintenance" gets rolled up into "toughness". Like suede shoes require a preventative spray, and an eraser, and a suede brush, and the nap can still get stained or rough looking despite great care.

10. seer

seer Senior member

Obenauf is the best. I will work it into my leather - liberally - let the shoes sit/dry overnight. Then brush the heck out of them. Obenauf 's gives the best sheen of all the leather protectors I have used. They almost look like I polished them. I do this every 3 weeks or so - more if I do a lot of hiking. In between I just wipe them off with a damp cloth and brush.

11. HorseHide

HorseHide Senior member

He's going to think you've been keeping 2 sets of books ...

12. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

Nah, he does that for me. :rolleyes:

13. NotClever

NotClever Senior member

I agree, but I do feel like I've seen him make 3 or so unprompted posts about how much better he likes calf than shell. It's a whatever opinion, but it seems the way he goes about his initial posts they're designed to provoke a defense of shell, like he's saying "I still don't understand why you guys like shell, even though that's your opinion and I don't care." Whether he's intentionally doing it or not, that's probably why people argue with him.

14. advan031

advan031 Senior member

How about liking both equally? :D

15. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

For me it is... sometimes. I have old shells that have nearly zero creasing and don't welt at all. Those shoes are superb and are, in my opinion, better than anything available in calf. If only all shells were so good.

Calf has its place in my shoe rotation without a doubt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.