• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jt2gt

Reaction score

I think I might just roll with the 7.5, after talking to the guy at Alden DC my option was wait 8-9 months for the next order (since someone already claimed a 7.5 E on the current order) or go with a size 8. It's not terribly tight, just sorta snug only at the widest part of my feet (around the ball of my big toe).

What boots are they...I am between 8 and 7.5 in barrie last. I tend to go down to 7.5 in shell cordo shoes (my #8 chukkas are 7.5), but fit 8 in calf. My chukkas in 7.5 shell felt tight in the same place but after a couple wears they fell right on the money.

FYI...I tried on a barrie LWB in shell #8 and they were huge, larger then many of my size 9 shoes from other makers. But my other calf Barrie last shoes fit fine. So never know until you try on.

JT

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

What boots are they...I am between 8 and 7.5 in barrie last. I tend to go down to 7.5 in shell cordo shoes (my #8 chukkas are 7.5), but fit 8 in calf. My chukkas in 7.5 shell felt tight in the same place but after a couple wears they fell right on the money.
FYI...I tried on a barrie LWB in shell #8 and they were huge, larger then many of my size 9 shoes from other makers. But my other calf Barrie last shoes fit fine. So never know until you try on.
JT

They are cap toe boots with grant last. Good to hear about the shell giving a bit, I think it should fit nice after a few wears then. :slayer:

blue collar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They are cap toe boots with grant last. Good to hear about the shell giving a bit, I think it should fit nice after a few wears then. :slayer:

I dont think it's the shell that actually gives. I think after a few wears your foot starts to 'bed' into the cork midsole thus making the shoe feel roomier...imo.

Or invest in good quality thin socks...this makes a world of difference if a shoe feels a bit tight or loose. One i get my size on nailed as best possible on a particular last, I fine tune with my socks...

Last edited:

Edgein

Reaction score
Fleabay alert! There is a guy selling Alden's who calls the color of a shoe "Cordovan", When I sent a message to him asking what the color actually was, he called me stupid and removed my bid. Good thing, I wouldn't buy anything from such an individual(being charitable).

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I dont think it's the shell that actually gives. I think after a few wears your foot starts to 'bed' into the cork midsole thus making the shoe feel roomier...imo.
Or invest in good quality thin socks...this makes a world of difference if a shoe feels a bit tight or loose. One i get my size on nailed as best possible on a particular last, I fine tune with my socks...

True, I wear uniqlo dress socks and they are pretty thin.

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Fleabay alert!  There is a guy selling Alden's who calls the color of a shoe "Cordovan",  When I sent a message to him asking what the color actually was, he called me stupid and removed my bid.  Good thing, I wouldn't buy anything from such an individual(being charitable).

Sounds like the same link that was posted above a bit.

They are not cordovan leather whatsoever. At first he was calling them 'shell cordovan' but I see he has edited it. The listing is still all sorts of wrong though:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...9&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123#ht_500wt_1382

Edgein

Reaction score
Actually, these may well be Aldens. Not the link above, but loafers. The shoes seem ok, just the seller...I'd rather not say.

Where would you all recommend purchasing Alden penny loafers, not the full strap, in cordovan? I live in Seattle. Thanks

velomane

Reaction score

Thanks! Unfortunately, it's an additional $28 for the cheapest shipping option to canada! i cant justify paying 200% shipping. 

If you are in Winnipeg, then I'll split the cost with you.

Mike

Roguls

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Guys, we have an entire subfora dedicated to buying and selling. To try and sell your boots/shoes here is against policy and unfair to the other sellers.
I'm not a mod, but this is getting annoying...

I disagree - a head's up on Aldens for sale is a good thing, imo. The damn B/S since the forum changed is awash in shite.

Roguls

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In my experience, chromexcel is prone to having a rough-looking, wrinkly texture. I don't have any shots of my Indy's handy, but they have this character in a number of spots - it just isn't as obvious because they are dyed brown, and your shoes are not dyed. The texture doesn't affect the leather's ability to absorb oils in any way. Whether you like it aesthetically is a matter of personal taste, but the leather will be just fine.

Yeah, the CXL does crease/wrinkle like hell. I'm digging calfskin more and more.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Fleabay alert!  There is a guy selling Alden's who calls the color of a shoe "Cordovan",  When I sent a message to him asking what the color actually was, he called me stupid and removed my bid.  Good thing, I wouldn't buy anything from such an individual(being charitable).

lots of people do that, and it's not really wrong to describe the color

what's wrong is when it's intentionally misleading, like "long lasting cordovan leather" or something similar

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been on the fence on picking up a pair of black LWB...

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You should! I picked up a pair of DBs and they look incredible. It's the closes thing to the BBBF longwing that I've seen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads