• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

g.michael

Reaction score

That is just ridiculous.
Do you think it might be possible for you to have just a single post where you don't whine about the Barrie last and how you don't like it and how it destroyed your feet, killed your parents and caused the downfall of Western Civilization? I mean really, WE GET IT, YOU DON'T LIKE THE BARRIE LAST. It works for other people. Let it go dude, let it go.

I get it too, but I still like bashing the Barrie. Hard to imagine how such a blobby, ungainly last can sell so well--mystifying. I hate chukkas also so I thought the post was exceptional.:nodding:

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How should a proper cap toe boot fit feel? Got my first pair of Aldens today and they feel a bit tight around the widest top of my toe and also on the top of my arch. I think maybe I should go up to a size 8. I sorta think I am between sizes. Or maybe I need a 7.5 wide.

Last edited:

Edgein

Reaction score
Did Alden make shoes for Brooks Brothers? Do they still? Saw some and was considering. Should be equivalent to "real" Alden's, correct? Thanks much

NotClever

Reaction score
Isn't Reno more of a conditioner than a polish?

Yes, but there's a bit of a blurry line between neutral polishes and conditioners. Polishes all have some conditioner in them, and conditioners have a bit of wax in them to polish, if I'm not mistaken.

My point was really just that the suggestion to use that Meltonian may not be the same as a a suggestion to use a standard creme polish.

Last edited:

dgonsh

Reaction score
Speaking of boot creams...

Ive been looking to pick up the Alden Boot Cream in Neutral for my Chromexcel Indy's. Unfortunately, no one in Toronto sells it and anyone in the US that sells it either won't ship to me or it will cost me twice what the creams costs ($9.00) to ship.

Ive been doing some SF research but havent found too much insight, and I know it's a noob question, but is their any good boot cream that will not darken my Indy's in the same quality and realm as the Alden branded Boot Cream?

I really dont wanna darken these guys.

zazaza

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Did Alden make shoes for Brooks Brothers?  Do they still?  Saw some and was considering.  Should be equivalent to "real" Alden's, correct?  Thanks much

I know they make the calf tassel loafers, not sure what else

fitchottie

Reaction score

Speaking of boot creams...

Ive been looking to pick up the Alden Boot Cream in Neutral for my Chromexcel Indy's. Unfortunately, no one in Toronto sells it and anyone in the US that sells it either won't ship to me or it will cost me twice what the creams costs ($9.00) to ship. 

Ive been doing some SF research but havent found too much insight, and I know it's a noob question, but is their any good boot cream that will not darken my Indy's in the same quality and realm as the Alden branded Boot Cream? 

I really dont wanna darken these guys. 

I would recommend Venetian Creme.... you can get it from foresupplyco.com... The big 32oz for $18.00 plus shipping... I put this on all my shoes with no Ill effect so far. Looks awesome on the 403 and even the 405, 401.... Plus Cordovan and Calf.

dgonsh

Reaction score
Thanks! Unfortunately, it's an additional $28 for the cheapest shipping option to canada! i cant justify paying 200% shipping.

I would recommend Venetian Creme.... you can get it from foresupplyco.com... The big 32oz for $18.00 plus shipping... I put this on all my shoes with no Ill effect so far. Looks awesome on the 403 and even the 405, 401.... Plus Cordovan and Calf.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
to be fair, $28 is probably close to the actual cost of shipping to Canada. it's a big heavy jug + international.

would you feel better if it was $46 with FREE SHIPPING?

dgonsh

Reaction score
I might feel better
rotflmao.gif

anyway, i dont need a massive jug of the stuff really. so i contacted oak street bootmakers and they were really nice and offered to get me a quote for a more economical way of shipping. their standard was $25 for a $5 bottle. They said they can probably do a 4 or $5 dollar option. that would be great :)

to be fair, $28 is probably close to the actual cost of shipping to Canada. it's a big heavy jug + international.
would you feel better if it was $46 with FREE SHIPPING?

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Did Alden make shoes for Brooks Brothers?  Do they still?  Saw some and was considering.  Should be equivalent to "real" Alden's, correct?  Thanks much

I believe all the BB cordovans are Aldens. I'm not sure about their non cordovans though.

I would say they are certainly equivalent and in some ways could be better.

They are on a slightly different last which I really dig and the welt is a bit more sleek.

See:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/85589/the-official-alden-thread/23040_80#post_5184332

Last edited:

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think I might just roll with the 7.5, after talking to the guy at Alden DC my option was wait 8-9 months for the next order (since someone already claimed a 7.5 E on the current order) or go with a size 8. It's not terribly tight, just sorta snug only at the widest part of my feet (around the ball of my big toe).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads