***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. commodorewheeler

commodorewheeler Senior member

Isn't Reno more of a conditioner than a polish?

2. g.michael

g.michael Senior member

I get it too, but I still like bashing the Barrie. Hard to imagine how such a blobby, ungainly last can sell so well--mystifying. I hate chukkas also so I thought the post was exceptional.:nodding:

3. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

How should a proper cap toe boot fit feel? Got my first pair of Aldens today and they feel a bit tight around the widest top of my toe and also on the top of my arch. I think maybe I should go up to a size 8. I sorta think I am between sizes. Or maybe I need a 7.5 wide.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012

4. Edgein

Edgein Senior member

Did Alden make shoes for Brooks Brothers? Do they still? Saw some and was considering. Should be equivalent to "real" Alden's, correct? Thanks much

5. NotClever

NotClever Senior member

Yes, but there's a bit of a blurry line between neutral polishes and conditioners. Polishes all have some conditioner in them, and conditioners have a bit of wax in them to polish, if I'm not mistaken.

My point was really just that the suggestion to use that Meltonian may not be the same as a a suggestion to use a standard creme polish.

6. dgonsh

dgonsh Senior member

Speaking of boot creams...

Ive been looking to pick up the Alden Boot Cream in Neutral for my Chromexcel Indy's. Unfortunately, no one in Toronto sells it and anyone in the US that sells it either won't ship to me or it will cost me twice what the creams costs ($9.00) to ship.

Ive been doing some SF research but havent found too much insight, and I know it's a noob question, but is their any good boot cream that will not darken my Indy's in the same quality and realm as the Alden branded Boot Cream?

I really dont wanna darken these guys.

7. zazaza

zazaza Senior member

I know they make the calf tassel loafers, not sure what else

8. fitchottie

fitchottie Senior member

I would recommend Venetian Creme.... you can get it from foresupplyco.com... The big 32oz for $18.00 plus shipping... I put this on all my shoes with no Ill effect so far. Looks awesome on the 403 and even the 405, 401.... Plus Cordovan and Calf.

9. dgonsh

dgonsh Senior member

Thanks! Unfortunately, it's an additional $28 for the cheapest shipping option to canada! i cant justify paying 200% shipping.

10. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

to be fair, $28 is probably close to the actual cost of shipping to Canada. it's a big heavy jug + international.

would you feel better if it was $46 with FREE SHIPPING?

11. dgonsh

dgonsh Senior member

I might feel better [​IMG]

anyway, i dont need a massive jug of the stuff really. so i contacted oak street bootmakers and they were really nice and offered to get me a quote for a more economical way of shipping. their standard was $25 for a $5 bottle. They said they can probably do a 4 or $5 dollar option. that would be great :)

12. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

I believe all the BB cordovans are Aldens. I'm not sure about their non cordovans though.

I would say they are certainly equivalent and in some ways could be better.

They are on a slightly different last which I really dig and the welt is a bit more sleek.

See:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/85589/the-official-alden-thread/23040_80#post_5184332

[​IMG]

13. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Senior member

COLDSNAP: They might be too small for you. you might have to go up a width.

Btw, i actually think the barrie last looks kinda nice, especially if you have a standard 270 degree welt.

14. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

I think I might just roll with the 7.5, after talking to the guy at Alden DC my option was wait 8-9 months for the next order (since someone already claimed a 7.5 E on the current order) or go with a size 8. It's not terribly tight, just sorta snug only at the widest part of my feet (around the ball of my big toe).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.