• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matto ELITE

Reaction score
I went through SF Alden vs SM due to availability in my size, I do hope that they have the antiqued edges. First pair of Aldens (hell first pair of wingtips), so I'm pretty pumped
cheers.gif

I have a pair of JC Chippawea boots that may be getting replaced with some Indy's soon...

jasonfoote303

Reaction score
cigarwings.jpg

These are my cigar longwings from Alden SF. Definitely a darker edge. I'm not saying that I know for sure if the newer ones have the same edge (but they probably do).

for the record: these are also an antiqued edge. The difference is these are MEDIUM antique and the ones above (from Shoemart) are LIGHT antique

At first I was disappointed that mine had a darker edge (particularly the welt and stitching), but they have grown on me and I really love them now. The darker edge actually allows them to be dressed up a little more than the light antique in my opinion, so these are pretty versatile. I'll never need to buy another wingtip if I take care of these ones.

Last edited:

cloudshift

Reaction score
^ The do indeed look darker. I thought someone had said they were the same. Either way, a great looking shoe.

REguy

Reaction score
^ Jason, can you comment on what you guys have in the Alden/Unionmade pipeline?

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

cigarwings.jpg

These are my cigar longwings from Alden SF. Definitely a darker edge. I'm not saying that I know for sure if the newer ones have the same edge (but they probably do).
for the record: these are also an antiqued edge. The difference is these are MEDIUM antique and the ones above (from Shoemart) are LIGHT antique
At first I was disappointed that mine had a darker edge (particularly the welt and stitching), but they have grown on me and I really love them now. The darker edge actually allows them to be dressed up a little more than the light antique in my opinion, so these are pretty versatile. I'll never need to buy another wingtip if I take care of these ones.

It's all a ploy by Alden to get us to buy multiple versions of the same shoe!

fitchottie

Reaction score

Just placed my order with Alden San Francisco for LWB Cigar in 9.5D, I hope like hell they fit.  Shoe trees, wax paste, ans 8" shoe horn on the way as well. :happy:

How much were the LWB in cigar on Barrier going for. I just placed and order for cigar boot on grant in 12d I wear barrier 11.5 and tru the same... price was 718.00, but no payment was needed at this time...

blue collar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How much were the LWB in cigar on Barrier going for. I just placed and order for cigar boot on grant in 12d I wear barrier 11.5 and tru the same... price was 718.00, but no payment was needed at this time...

I'm sorry...i've tried to not say anything..but for weeks I have read your posts and you always type "Barrier last"....just to help you out, it's Barrie not barrier there is no r at the end of the word.

sorry for being "that guy" but I cant handle it lol

:embar:

Last edited:

Profligate47

Reaction score

Since there's been a good numher of sartorial questions on here lately, let me ask another. What is everyone's thoughts about wearing #8 color wingtips with a dark grey/charcoal suit?  I've always thought they look great with navy and light gray, but thought about subbing them in for my black wingtips every now and again with the darker suits.  Thoughts?

I usually wear Color 8 models with charcoal suits, mostly with darker socks..

blue collar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

cigarwings.jpg

I have said it before but this exact picture made me pull the trigger on my Cigar long wings...:slayer:

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

or take your leather soles, and have any local cobbler put a vibram layer on them. that will increase the life by multiples of years as well, if you keep doing this.

+1

I've been using a cobbler to do this for quite some time now, and as long as your cobbler is competent and doesnt cheap out on the material or the bonding process, you'll do fine.

I get Vibram topys for $15/pair and I think that's a great deal considering how long they last

FWIW I called Alden corporate HQ and there are no plans for ending the recrafting program. Incidentally, it's the same number you have to call for the Alden of Carmel recraft program, to request the postage paid bag for the shoes.

Last edited:

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Let me know how you find the size compares to your Barrie lasted shoes.

I received my Alden Brooks Brothers PTB in Black Shell today! like really them for the metal eyelets and sleeker last than the 9901 PTB.

The fit is a bit more snug on these but I can wear the same size as I wear in the Barrie last just fine.

These Aldens cost less than an equivalent Alden branded shoe so I cannot complain

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads