1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Thanks for the heads-up.

Wearing my unlined PTBs in 8 today from LS.

2. PipersSon

PipersSon Senior member

I am buying Alden shell for the first time - decided to go with PTBs - and have purchased a cigar PTB in 8 C/E and a Ravello PTB in 8.5 B/D. Both are in Barrie.

The 8 C/E fits a little better than the 8.5 B/D.

Questions for the experts:

Will the shoe stretch? I am worried that the 8.5 B/D, which feel just a tiny loose (not enough to matter presently), may get even looser so to speak.

How does the Ravello color compare to the #6 shell cordovan, as I am due to get a #6 Rider shoe shortly. If the color is the same as Ravello, one of these may have to go.

I'm also torn between the Cigar and the Ravello from a color perspective, but that's not a question as there's already plenty of discussions on SF on the subject. :D

Many thanks!

3. sevenfoldtieguy

I am buying Alden shell for the first time - decided to go with PTBs - and have purchased a cigar PTB in 8 C/E and a Ravello PTB in 8.5 B/D. Both are in Barrie.
    The 8 C/E fits a little better than the 8.5 B/D.
    Questions for the experts:
    Will the shoe stretch? I am worried that the 8.5 B/D, which feel just a tiny loose (not enough to matter presently), may get even looser so to speak.
    How does the Ravello color compare to the #6 shell cordovan, as I am due to get a #6 Rider shoe shortly. If the color is the same as Ravello, one of these may have to go.
    I'm also torn between the Cigar and the Ravello from a color perspective, but that's not a question as there's already plenty of discussions on SF on the subject. :D
    Many thanks![/quote}

Color 6 will typically fall between cigar and ravello on the spectrum. To that end, if your goal is to acquire two shoes most far apart on the spectrum, go with the ravello and cigar and return the Color 6. This link will give you a sense of the colors:
    http://www.arichinnerlife.com/2010/10/14/a-ravello-moment/

I have Barrie lasted shells in 9B/D and 9.5A/C and each size fits well. In my experience, shell stretches very little, but will conform to your foot over time. The "issue" you have described sounds like an issue I personally wouldn't worry about, particularly given the overall rare availability of the models in question.

The debate of ravello v. cigar in terms of preference, as you allude to, is totally personal.

4. PipersSon

PipersSon Senior member

Thanks sevenfoldtieguy, much appreciated.

Are the Ravello and cigar that hard to find? Did not realize that., maybe I lucked out. Now I have another reason to think over whether I want to return either.

5. 0waterbouys

0waterbouys Senior member

Ravello is basically gone for the rest of the year and may even be gone most of next year from what I have heard. Cigar is certainly rare as well, so I would say keep them both. Where did you grab these?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
  6. PipersSon

PipersSon Senior member

Alden Washington DC.

The Ravello was a floor model apparently, but it seems absolutely fine to me.

7. 0waterbouys

Ah cool. I have some longwings from DC. How dark are yours if I may ask? Mine are on the red end of the spectrum but I know Joe has been saying they may stop carrying Ravello for awhile if it continues to get so dark.

8. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Anyone have a photo of their Alden cordovan belts after some wear?

9. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

i just did the mac method on my shell aldens last night, one wingtip boot and one longwing. everything went great, but it seems like the mid-foot area (the part of the shoe shown below) just wouldn't get shiny, and looked kind of weird. anyone else have problems with this?

[​IMG]

for both pairs i used this stuff (in the appropriate color):
    [​IMG]

10. PipersSon

PipersSon Senior member

Mine look plenty 'red-ish' to me. However, since I neither have any other Ravello shoe, nor have even seen another in real life, I have no way of knowing where they stand on the 'redness' scale, or even how the Ravello is supposed to look for that matter.

Edit: I went back and had another look. They seem to have a deep red tint, but it seems to me that there would be a case for saying they are a 'lighter shade of dark brown' (not sure if that makes sense, but that' how it seems to me; also note this is nowhere close to cigar).

Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
  11. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

I can snap a pic when i get home of my #8, which I've had for a few months. Not sure if thats as worn as you had in mind. I did notice that it has sort of a flat finish compared to the shoes I bought them with. Maybe they don't wax them like they do with the shoes? Anyone ever wax/shine their cordovan belt?

As you are probably already aware of, they aren't made out of one continuos piece of leather like most belts, its 3 pieces sewn together.

12. Chien

Chien Well-Known Member

oh , am i too late for the seconds list? im a 8D in barrie.

13. sevenfoldtieguy

As you are probably already aware of, they aren't made out of one continuos piece of leather like most belts, its 3 pieces sewn together.
    [/quote]

The not-one-piece fact actually makes me shy away from shell belts - just a personal thing - although I have seen some nice ones. Some time ago I ordered the black and 8 shell belts from BB and was completely unimpressed on a number of fronts (perhaps it was just a bad batch?). I sent them both back. FYI only - BB shell belts are not made by Alden.

14. 0waterbouys

This is what my "reddish" ravello from DC looks like, for reference.

[​IMG]

15. PipersSon

PipersSon Senior member

Given the usual caveats for judging based on a camera pic and that the pair I have is brand new so color may/may not change, mine look a little bit darker, but maybe just by a shade.

16. IRONHORSE

IRONHORSE Well-Known Member

This is what my "reddish" ravello from DC looks like, for reference.

[​IMG]

[/quote

I just got mine from DC also seems reddish but I like it. On another note would it be redundant to have both Ravello Wingtip boot and LWB? Which is more versatile? for day to day use?

17. 0waterbouys

18. sevenfoldtieguy

One is a longwing; one is a shortwing. One is a shoe; one is a boot. I think you are fine, unless you'd rather have a non wingtip style ....

19. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    thank you

20. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    thank you! i do like tassels and you should consider cigar and black

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.