1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wj4

wj4 Senior member

Thanks, dude.

RE: when to send your shoes in for repairing, I have no idea how to detect when a leather sole is worn out. I assume small holes will appear?

2. pistolero

pistolero Senior member

I emailed them with that very question earlier today. Will post when I hear back. I regret missing out on that makeup.

3. Kashiwa

Kashiwa Senior member

^^ You'll find this out when their response arrives, but is Blackbird still an Alden retailer? I think I remember hearing that they are not. Not to mention that they only have one shoe (a 12d) left in their whole Alden stock and it is on closeout.

Somebody needs to make that boot!

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  4. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

I have the LWB in whiskey, cigar, color 8 and black shell (and in dark brown calf grain). Adding a SWB in no way throws off one's collection, it diversifies it.

Without knowing your current shoe collection, it is impossible to give any clear direction, but since you asked, I'l throw in my 2 cents.

The black shell SWB is a special make-up and the black shell LWB is a stock item. To that end, the SWB is more rare. But that doesn't mean it is a preferable shoe choice. The SWB - even though also on the Barrie last - is quite a bit sleeker than the LWB, IMO (e.g., SWB has no storm welt). Having these two Alden models, which I do, and seeing an in-person comparison, which I have, really drove this point home for me (for good, bad, or otherwise).

I have the ravello SWB and it is great. I have the black shell LWB and it too is great (wore it today). For me I opted for the ravello SWB before the ravello LWB, but that is mostly due to the fact that I already owned more shell LWBs than shell SWBs. Eventually I will pick up the ravello LWB most likely.

If I go the way of a shortwing, which I have, I have typically gone with a balmoral - in color 8 and black shell.

You can't go wrong with either model. Also, as for black shell SWB vs. black shell LWB, both are plenty dressy, but the LWB is easier to dress down, IMO.

1 person likes this.
  5. thebeebs

thebeebs Senior member

^ Excellent response, thanks so much! I have thus far held off on purchasing a black Alden shoe, only b/c it seems like the "dressiest" color, and for that I usually go English calf. My Aldens thus far are limited to shell and suede models, all in the "colors" (whiskey/cigar/ravello/8). Maybe I'll pull the trigger on the black SWB.

Btw, if anyone's interested, I found a GREAT site for colored laces:

http://benjos.com/

6. kolecho

kolecho Senior member

I like the fading of darker shells and darkening of lighter shells. Ravello will darken. Lovely Indy boots.

7. interlockingny

interlockingny Senior member

Couldn't help but to notice this new boot from ShoeMart. Nice makeup:

[​IMG]

Definitely tempting. I like the all eyelet look.

Link

8. Akeem

Akeem Senior member

I've been waiting for Leather Soul to do a suede version of the jumper boot, but this will do nicely.

9. CTYGGG

CTYGGG Senior member

10. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    looking good in #4

11. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

[​IMG]
    cigar cap toe
    argyles otc
    [​IMG]

12. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

Daaammn. The elusive #4. Looks sweet!

13. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Senior member

agreed #4 is gorgeous

14. marmottan

marmottan Well-Known Member

Exactly. Still I don't find their shells that much desirable (it's only my preferences though), and many of them are now only available in 'extreme' sizes.
    Will order their Navy Suede PTB if available in my size.
    Also, they seem to have a quite interesting MTO service.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  15. 100 yrs

100 yrs Senior member

i don't know for sure, but last time i was in the store i asked the SA if they expected more alden makeups and he said he didn't think so. also, alden of carmel no longer lists products from blackbird like they used to. i'm assuming the 18 month lead time is just more trouble than it's worth for some smaller stores.

16. Dbc0919

Dbc0919 Senior member

Just got the Shoemart irregular lists. Showing a Ravello wingtip boot in size 9.5D for $399.99.

Also, see some Whiskey shell LWB's and Ravello and Black shell saddles in 9.5D also $399.99.

17. calidist

calidist Senior member

PSA - Just received the new TSM seconds list.

18. calidist

calidist Senior member

Beat me to it!

19. thebeebs

thebeebs Senior member

Wow I'd jump on that if it's your size! (Assuming the irregularity isn't a missing sole lol)

20. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

I'd be amazed if they actually had it. Last time I got the seconds list I had to go with my third choice since they said the inventory isn't always accurate and didn't have my first two choices on the list.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.