***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MiniW

MiniW Senior member

imo the NST design on a BOOT is perfect with the Barrie last or the Military last (for the japanese market), for the Aberdeen or Plaza it looks off, too much clashing of casual design with a dressy last. On the other hand my Aberdeen NST shoes have gotten tons of wear. I'm sure that others think differently and that's why there's all sorts of make-ups for us to choose from and buy (if we are fast enough)

2. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

What looks better with jeans, cap toe #8 or cigar?

3. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

I'd vote the #8 personally.

4. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

More Details? One man's big discount is another's President's day sale.

5. interlockingny

interlockingny Senior member

You really can't go wrong with either. Both would look great.

6. furo

furo Senior member

Can anyone else verify this?

7. narm60

narm60 Well-Known Member

8. Thor

Thor Senior member

I can understand that perspective...but to me my Alden shell boots are dress boots- They are not work boots or hiking boots...They do not function very well in either of those capacities. To me they are semi-dressy boots designed for an urban environment...I bought them to look dandy bopping down the street.

Shell is a very durable leather but maintaining it at its fullest aesthetic potential (ie: shiny) requires a great deal of maintenance. They scuff easily. They do not handle exposure to water well. I did not pay $600 for them to look like crap. I would (and do) not wear them any place- I find they are not the best for crossing streams or slogging through mud or scrambling across scree slopes....I have my White's work boots and hiking boots for that...

The Indy's have a more utilitarian origin so- as far as my shell boots go they are my "beaters".

9. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Agreed, shell is at its best when it is treated with care - hard to keep up that head turning glow when they are beat to hell

My brown leather Indy's are the "nice" shoes I wear then I know they will get beat up, they are rugged and look good at the same time.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012

10. sfactor23

sfactor23 Senior member

Originally Posted by furo [​IMG]

Is this Kudu boot actually kudu antelope leather? Or did they just give it that name?

I'm wondering why someone above posted a link to a pair of Kudu boots that were like $648 and these are $468....

for what it's worth, I was the one who purchased the $600+ Kudu boots - I noticed that on The Bureau's website they described Kudu as "a rare Antelope leather" - I ignored this description, knowing that it isn't true.

I paid the premium because I really like this particular boot, it isn't available here (as far as I know), and I understand that Aldens cost more overseas due to taxes/expenses/etc. - I'd rather pay a little more to get what I want and have no regrets (once the bill is paid [​IMG]) then let the opportunity pass, with no reasonable guarantee that I'll get the chance to purchase them again down the road, and ultimately end up kicking myself in the ass.

Of course, with my luck, I'll wake up tomorrow to find that Tom at LS has announced a preorder of the "Ultimate Kudu Jumpers" -
    [​IMG]

Just in case, here is another (better?) picture of The Bureau's Kudu boots - I think you'll agree that the leather looks exactly the same as the 404's

[​IMG]

11. Thor

Thor Senior member

Alas, I am unfamiliar with the the "spoon trick"...can you enlighten me??

12. darnold

darnold Senior member

Kudu is an antelope leather - in the 404, the Bureau boot, the LS Kudu Ultimate Indy, and anywhere else you may find it. The fact that it is a chromeexcel variant is a statement about the way the leather is treated.

13. REguy

REguy Senior member

While, technically, Kudu is antelope, any Alden "Kudu" is cow. A bit misleading, yes. But Alden only uses cow and horse hides. LS states the following..."Horween’s kudu leather is essentially heavily oiled and hand treated calfskin, done in the same procedure as shell cordovan. Thicker and more dense than the norm, kudu is definitely a rugged and everlasting leather, perfect for our Ultimate Indy Boots."

14. sfactor23

sfactor23 Senior member

really?! wow, I did not know that - I stand corrected, then -

15. darnold

darnold Senior member

I think this description must have been a mistake in transposing from the chromexcel info. Alden definitely uses other animal hides in the occasional makeup (see this recent Bison, for example) and I'm pretty sure kudu is just what it sounds like... I've got the LS Kudu UI and it is not of the same character as my other chromexcel calf pairs.

Perhaps Jason or Tom could chime in here with an authoritative answer...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.